Share Facebook

05-30-2010, 06:59 AM   #31
Dexky
To save time...Ask Dusty!

My Support Groups:
I've read so many stories about women w/ crohn's and colitis who during preg never felt so good. Makes me wonder if there's any research done on this phenom as to possible treatments? Anyone know?

Mark
05-30-2010, 08:56 PM   #32
Manzyb
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I've read so many stories about women w/ crohn's and colitis who during preg never felt so good. Makes me wonder if there's any research done on this phenom as to possible treatments? Anyone know?

Mark

I don't really know the specifics, but a while back I had read that during pregnancy you produce a certain hormone, and that hormone may be related to making the pregnant woman's Crohn's disease better for the time being. I'll go see if I can find anything on it and will let you know, but I do remember hearing about a certain hormone. Sorry that's kind of vague.

Sadie turns 2, 4/5/13!
06-08-2010, 04:19 PM   #33
Sidders

Question for those who've been pregnant...did any of you consult with a high risk OB? I had never thought about it until i watched that video Lydia posted.

Also, did any of you have to have C-sections due to fistulas or other Crohn's related reasons?
I had a C-section because of my fistulas. I will tell you that for me, pregnancy seemed to make my fistulas worse. I had several new ones form and one of them opens up into my vagina (sorry if I'm being too graphic for you) and that totally freaked me out.. It has never healed but it's never gotten really bad, either.. my daughter is 3 now.

I thought having a C-section and not pushing would take care of the fistula problem but I think carrying a full-term baby puts a lot of pressure "down there" even if you don't deliver naturally.
06-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #34
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
Yeah, I understand, Sidders. My fistulas are located near my ileum though. As far as I know, I don't have any "down there." So, I wasn't sure if anyone with fistulas in their ileum or colon was recommended to have C-section.

I can understand why someone with vaginal or perianal fistulas would want to deliver by C-section, but wasn't sure if it posed the same risk for other fistulas.
January 2014 - adopted a mostly Paleo diet
May 2015 - still in remission!

Currently Taking
Humira - 40mg/week
Imuran - 125 mg/day
Calcium magnesium citrate
Fermented cod liver oil/butter blend
Culturelle probiotics
Vitamin D
Vitamin C
Biotin
Allegra
06-08-2010, 05:45 PM   #35
Vivvian's Mommy

My Support Groups:
I was told I can't have children as I am high risk.They don't know where my organs are placed for C-Section and vaginal I can not deliver as I have a small pelvic area.We recently thought I was pregnant but came to find out I was not.So now the doctors are pushing even more on my husband having a vasectomy.That makes me upset because if something happens to me I want him to be able to remarry and have children if he wants.We did however adopt our daughter from a friend of mine from High school so we are looking into doing that again.I guess in other words its not just meds you have to be concerned about but if you have had numerous surgeries
Diagnosis-Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis since 1997 at age 12
Medication-Humira every 2weeks 40mg and Imuran 100mg,B-12 drops and Multi-Vitamin
06-09-2010, 01:45 PM   #36
redapple3

well because the universe is out of control...I am pregnant. Total accident. Now I am faced with the HARDEST decision of my life probably. I am going to see my doc tomorrow. I'm still on Imuran now. Still loosing my hair by the gobs.

Scared!
06-09-2010, 02:17 PM   #37
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
My thoughts are with you, RedApple

Don't let the fear get to you. Trust your doctors to take care of you! There have been people who have had healthy babies while on medications and off of it. It's normal to feel anxious though, just don't let it consume you. I hope the doctor is able to calm some of your fears tomorrow. Best of luck to you!
06-09-2010, 02:22 PM   #38
redapple3

My thoughts are with you, RedApple

Don't let the fear get to you. Trust your doctors to take care of you! There have been people who have had healthy babies while on medications and off of it. It's normal to feel anxious though, just don't let it consume you. I hope the doctor is able to calm some of your fears tomorrow. Best of luck to you!
Thanks
06-09-2010, 02:48 PM   #39
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
I'm with Marisa on this.....

When I found out I was pregnant, there were a LOT of fears.....especially since I had been on medications for most of my pregnancy......but, everything turned out OK!.....

I have to admit, the c-section was a nice 'option'.....got to schedule Tori's birthday, no labor.....extra attention from hubby/family.....

If I had to do it all again- I would - I LOVE my little Peanut! (who isn't quite so little any more! lol)

30 plus years and counting with UC/Crohn's!
on remicade since 11/05

While my experiences may not be what everyone has had- I feel it is worthwhile to share any and all experiences that may be beneficial to others.
06-09-2010, 03:16 PM   #40
redapple3

Thanks everyone. I really do not take medications lightly (not that people who have had babies with meds do - totally not what I'm saying). I am not well. I am healing from being really sick. I am nutritionally depleted. I am on a serious drug that can pass to the fetus.

I appreciate hearing about success stories. If I didn't have a success, and all signs point to "what if"....I wouldn't be able to live with that.

All in all...the whole situation of carrying a baby doesn't add up to me. The crazy thing is that if this happened a few months ago (before I got sick) I would be thrilled! Or even a year from now, once I had a chance to heal. Now it's all wrong.
06-10-2010, 08:02 AM   #41
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
You know your body best - AND you need to take care of YOURSELF first - because if you don't, that doesn't do any good to a baby or the rest of your family.

Take heard and comfort that you make decisions that are for the best of everyone involved - if you need to talk, please feel free to send me a message....I hear where you are coming from!
08-23-2010, 05:28 AM   #42
meardonna

I have had opposite, both times breastfeeding has put me in a wonderful remmision not even needing any meds!! fed both for 2 years, but when stopped came crashing down with the most awful flare-ups! was worth it though having two years disease free, eat what I wanted, not worry about having an accident in public!!! everyone is different but i believe that in most cases pregnancy and breastfeeding help with symptoms
08-23-2010, 05:29 AM   #43
meardonna

I got pregnant @June 2004 - after being hospitalized for a flare, was feeling better.....didn't realize the drugs I got in the hosp. probably messed up with birth control! ....... Was feeling VERY good for the first 5 1/2 months - in fact, didn't even know I was pregnant!!!!!.......I had lost weight when sick, so a slight gain was no big deal - didn't show, no morning sickness etc.......I was on 6MP at the time too.......continued that during the pregnancy, had a scheduled c-section (recto-vaginal and peri-anal fistulas)and my daughter was born March 8, 2005.....healthy but a peanut at just over 6 lbs.....

After I had her I was off drugs for @3 months, did breast feed but then started to flare and had the issues with the fistulas.....stopped breast feeding and started Remicade.......been doing pretty well since then.

No adverse effects seen in my daughter - she is healthy, happy, smart (too much for her own good sometimes! lol).......my big hope is she doesn't have any issues as she gets older with her digestive system.....

Oh - and I was 34 when I got pregnant.....
I have had opposite, both times breastfeeding has put me in a wonderful remmision not even needing any meds!! fed both for 2 years, but when stopped came crashing down with the most awful flare-ups! was worth it though having two years disease free, eat what I wanted, not worry about having an accident in public!!! everyone is different but i believe that in most cases pregnancy and breastfeeding help with symptoms
08-23-2010, 05:54 AM   #44
GutlessWonder86
Forum Monitor

Red,

Before making any decisions, definitely talk to your GI, Gyn, and primary doctor. Make sure they all talk together so they are on the same page BEFORE you make a drastic decision.

There are many women who are on certain Crohn's medications that some women were fearful to be on who had healthy pregnancies because they were followed closely by all of these physicians including a high risk Ob/Gyn. I use to work as a secretary for an Ob/Gyn dept. at a local hospital where I lived. Nothing is impossible because of the advancements in medicine we have compared to what we had say 20 yrs. ago. Better equipment to dx problems, better treatments, better medications to treat side effects, etc.

Seriously, have all not just 1 MD look at your medical history. You are NOT ALONE in having a high risk pregnancy. Most pregnancies are not life or death unless there's a health risk that causes a life or death situation to the mother and or child. Hang in there and know that you are not alone. Take care and we are thinking about you. ~Gutless Wonderwoman

Last edited by GutlessWonder86; 08-23-2010 at 05:58 AM.
08-24-2010, 02:23 AM   #45
nowitzkiwebb

Hi there

I was doing some research on Crohns and pregnancy and read recently that alot of women go into remission whilst pregnant. This is due to the fact that your immune system shuts down so your body doesn't reject the feotus. So your body is naturally doing what the immunosuppressant medication does.
10-21-2010, 02:20 PM   #46
Domsmom

My Support Groups:
I was diagnosed with CD when I was 5 weeks pregnant...went on Asacol right away and prednisone when I was 13 weeks pregnant. The second was an 'accident' if you can say it that way. My first was only 9 months old and I was planning to start Remicade...but didn't. When I was 20 weeks pregnant I started prednisone again. I had 2 healthy children...a boy and a girl!

I know that it can be scary and I'm still worried about treatment etc. as we would like to have more children someday. It's hard because you just want to live your life and not have a disease control. I hope that everything will turn out well for you.