Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Extra Intestinal Manifestations » Mouth » A Question about Mouth Sores

05-05-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
Mayflower537

My Support Groups:
A Question about Mouth Sores

Okay, this might be a dumb question, but if you have an ulcer/canker sore in your mouth is there something they can do to test if it's Crohn's-related? Just curious. Thanks!
05-05-2010, 03:47 PM   #2
Keona

I have no idea but I feel for you - cankers are painful. I was told though that a sign it is crohn's related is the duration they stay and they come in clusters ~ where most people get rid of them in a couple of days and usually only get one.
________
Box Vaporizer

Last edited by Keona; 02-19-2011 at 04:22 AM.
05-05-2010, 04:24 PM   #3
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

Hi Mayflower, I get Cankers all the time and I have never had them tested or is there such a test. They are ulcers and sometimes meds, teeth, or acidic foods can bring it on. When ever I am on Flagyl, almost guaranteed I get one, last week I got 2 at the same time, first time in over 30 years. Anyone know of such a test??? There are ways to help the pain when they do come but it crohns realated.
05-05-2010, 04:28 PM   #4
David in Seattle

Mayflower537 said:
Okay, this might be a dumb question, but if you have an ulcer/canker sore in your mouth is there something they can do to test if it's Crohn's-related? Just curious. Thanks!
Never a dumb question. Oral aphthous ulcers, like the one in picture, can be associated with Crohns, as well as a broad range of other conditions. I've had them off and on going back to my 20's, though I haven't had any in quite awhile. Here's a good article on them Aphthous ulcer

180px-Aphthous_ulcer.jpg
05-05-2010, 09:10 PM   #5
Mayflower537

My Support Groups:
I've gotten them for as long as I can remember. Usually one at a time, though, and I usually am guaranteed to accidentally bite it once or twice due to the swelling, which of course prolongs the agony.

Thanks for the replies. I figured it was a shot in the dark.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Extra Intestinal Manifestations » Mouth » A Question about Mouth Sores