Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Tests for IBD » Diving the same week as a colonoscopy?

05-05-2010, 04:34 PM   #1
Entchen
Chief Dandelion Picker

Diving the same week as a colonoscopy?

Hi all:

My first colonoscopy is coming up in a few weeks. A friend and I have planned to do our open water dives for PADI certification (scuba diving) this summer. Now, he really wants to go three days after the procedure. Would this potentially be difficult to manage so soon after a colonoscopy? I'd be going out of town for a weekend, hauling air tanks around, and diving for two days straight. Thing is... he's my drive. I can't really get to the dive sessions without him.

Thanks for advice!

-Kelly
Turned my Crohn's life around: ginger for nausea.
Claim to fame: "loopy and floppy" colon

Last edited by Entchen; 05-21-2010 at 02:09 AM.
05-05-2010, 05:02 PM   #2
Nyx

My Support Groups:
I don't see it being a problem. I felt fine immediately after every one of my colonscopies. People make it out to be a bigger deal than it really is. First coming out of the sedation you might feel groggy, but that passes very quickly. I was back to work the same day that I had one of mine done. It's a piece of cake

Good luck!

Crohn's Diagnosis: May 2006
Current meds: none
Surgeries: Colostomy, December 2009

"Never trust a fart." Jack Nicholson, The Bucket List

Oscar is awesome! Loving my life with my stoma (with a hint of poo)!!

05-05-2010, 05:22 PM   #3
whysoserious

The only problem you might have is you may be sore after your procedure. I was sore for a few days afterwards, and the next day I could barely bend over to pick anything up.
05-05-2010, 05:25 PM   #4
katiesue1506

Shouldn't be an issue. I was perfectly fine right after except for the sedation part. I wouldn't advise going while partially sedated lol
05-05-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
I agree with Katie and Cindy. Other than being groggy from sedation afterwards I didn't have any soreness or anything that kept me from doing things.
January 2014 - adopted a mostly Paleo diet
May 2015 - still in remission!

Currently Taking
Humira - 40mg/week
Imuran - 125 mg/day
Calcium magnesium citrate
Fermented cod liver oil/butter blend
Culturelle probiotics
Vitamin D
Vitamin C
Biotin
Allegra
05-05-2010, 05:31 PM   #6
David in Seattle

dreamintwilight said:
I agree with Katie and Cindy. Other than being groggy from sedation afterwards I didn't have any soreness or anything that kept me from doing things.
Ditto.
05-05-2010, 05:33 PM   #7
Entchen
Chief Dandelion Picker

Yay! Thanks, all. My family tends to get sick from sedation, but I've never had it done so it might not be the same for me. And surely that would pass within 3 days, anyway.

I so appreciate your help.

Off to plan a dive,
Kelly
05-05-2010, 05:48 PM   #8
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

Hi Kelly I got the information you need!!! My husband is a PADi Advanced open water diver, and he knows about my colonoscopies and he said he cannot see why any reason for you not to go. So go, have fun!!!!!! Whoo hoo! Let us know how your trip goes.
05-05-2010, 05:56 PM   #9
Entchen
Chief Dandelion Picker

Yes! Help from Crohn's experts AND from a diving expert. Awesome!
05-06-2010, 01:34 AM   #10
David in Seattle

Kelly said:
Yes! Help from Crohn's experts AND from a diving expert. Awesome!
Now, where else are you going to get that kind of know-how???

I'll bet if you wanted to add "hanging wallpaper" and "Mariachi Music" to the mix, (underwater wallpapering while listening to a Mariachi band, shortly after a colonoscopy) SOMEONE here could assist you!

What a great group! yes.gif
05-06-2010, 01:57 AM   #11
Entchen
Chief Dandelion Picker

05-06-2010, 06:05 AM   #12
Agent X20

My Support Groups:
I used to go diving and had no crohns related issues at the time. Personally I'd have thought that a clear three days after the procedure should be fine. I also tend to think that the positive aspects of doing something you love would be beneficial overall and will give you something to look forward to during the prep
05-21-2010, 02:08 AM   #13
Entchen
Chief Dandelion Picker

Just a quick update: the weekend is planned and I am getting really excited for the chance to try diving outdoors, and also excited for a weekend in the mountains. (Although I'll admit I am still nervous about the possibility of feeling sick. It's just something to work through, eh.) I've been re-reading the workbook to try to make sure I don't get to the bottom of the lake and think, "um...what's the signal for low air again? How do I check for that?" Have booked myself a room in my favourite accommodations in Jasper (it's super cheap, and the owners are friendly and great hosts), made brownies for my friend and his partner (since they're doing all the driving), and now I just need to get through this first colonoscopy and then it's dive time! My mom is flying out from the East Coast to help out on the day of the test and the day after, which is a pretty amazing thing for her to do. So, as Steve pointed out, there are positive things to look forward to and help make the process more manageable.

Thanks again for advising that doing this so soon after a colonoscopy will be fine.
05-21-2010, 02:23 AM   #14
David in Seattle

Kelly - Is this where you're going? http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/jasper/index.aspx Looks gorgeous!

I'm sure the exam will go fine & you'll have a terrific time!

I'm jealous!

Well, HALF jealous!
05-21-2010, 03:19 AM   #15
Entchen
Chief Dandelion Picker

David, that's the place! I think this is one of the dive sites: http://www.malignelake.com/. But, please don't be [HALF] jealous -- (a) you're actually pretty close to Banff/Jasper (one short flight and a shuttle), and (b) you live in Seattle! I've never been but have tried to visit (we had to cancel), plus I keep scheming to find a job in Washington because it looks like such a great place to live. I'd love to stay in one of the floating homes some day and kayak across the water to go out for supper.
05-21-2010, 04:24 AM   #16
David in Seattle

Kelly said:
David, that's the place! I think this is one of the dive sites: http://www.malignelake.com/. But, please don't be [HALF] jealous -- (a) you're actually pretty close to Banff/Jasper (one short flight and a shuttle), and (b) you live in Seattle! I've never been but have tried to visit (we had to cancel), plus I keep scheming to find a job in Washington because it looks like such a great place to live. I'd love to stay in one of the floating homes some day and kayak across the water to go out for supper.
HAH! Thanks, Kelly. Seattle is great, definitely a lot of very nice restaurants (at least, there WERE, back when I could EAT! ) I meant I was jealous of your terrific diving weekend! The pics in your link are so pretty!

You've actually looked into moving to Washington? If you like the Pacific NW, how about Vancouver? I've been there several times, it's terrific, and only about 120 miles from Seattle.

Plus, you get HEALTH CARE!!!

Wait, why am I laughing...

If you ever want to come to Seattle, I'd be happy to show you around! yes.gif
05-21-2010, 01:19 PM   #17
Entchen
Chief Dandelion Picker

Seattle, Vancouver, Spokane...I'd be happy to move to any one of them. (Although you're right that the health care thing matters!)

Crohn's Disease Forum » Tests for IBD » Diving the same week as a colonoscopy?