Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohns "cure" bone marrow transplant

05-12-2010, 05:17 AM   #1
merrywidow
mum with a dogdy tum

Crohns "cure" bone marrow transplant

there was a article in yesterday(11th may) stating that bone marrow transplant could cure crohns. the article isnt availble online , but the clinical trails are.

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00297193

anyone know anything about this?

fred (stoma) was born on sept 10th 2003

life is like a loo roll, the nearer to the end you get the faster it goes.

memories are what makes life, life is what makes memories, make them good

sharon x
05-12-2010, 07:01 AM   #2
GNC Crohn's Man
Vita-Man

According to the site that you linked to this is supposed to be there main site

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/icr/astic/

It apparently is a EU study. European Group for Blood and Marrow Transplantation is funding it.

It is a open-label randomized study. But, there is now way it is in phase III of clinical trials. According to their main site they have done less than 20 transplants.
That means that this is barely a Phase I trial.

Never get your hopes for a Phase I or II trial. Most of them will not make it to Phase III. If something looks promising in Phase III trials then you can probably look forward to seeing the medicine/treatment in a few years.

Sites with patients in trial include UK(London, Oxford, Norfolk and Norwich), France(Paris, Lille), Spain(Barcelona), Italy(Milan).
New UK sites include Edinburgh, BARTS and The London and Kilmarnock. Sites ready to recruit in Switzerland include Basel, Zurich and Lausanne; in Germany, Berlin; and in the Czech Republic, Prague. In Italy, there are sites planned in Florence, Bologna, Rome, Palermo, San Giovanni Rotondo, Genova, Ferrara and Aviano.
http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/info/<...ary</a>#phasel

OPEN-LABEL TRIAL: A clinical trial in which doctors and participants know which drug or vaccine is being administered.

RANDOMIZATION: A method based on chance by which study participants are assigned to a treatment group. Randomization minimizes the differences among groups by equally distributing people with particular characteristics among all the trial arms. The researchers do not know which treatment is better. From what is known at the time, any one of the treatments chosen could be of benefit to the participant

In Phase I trials, researchers test an experimental drug or treatment in a small group of people (20-80) for the first time to evaluate its safety, determine a safe dosage range, and identify side effects.

In Phase II trials, the experimental study drug or treatment is given to a larger group of people (100-300) to see if it is effective and to further evaluate its safety.

In Phase III trials, the experimental study drug or treatment is given to large groups of people (1,000-3,000) to confirm its effectiveness, monitor side effects, compare it to commonly used treatments, and collect information that will allow the experimental drug or treatment to be used safely.
05-12-2010, 08:29 AM   #3
merrywidow
mum with a dogdy tum

but the daily mail is a proper newspaper, its not a tabloid trash, so does hold some credability.
has any uk guys read this article yesterday?
05-12-2010, 08:57 AM   #4
Starrburst12

I recently did a case study presentation for school about bone marrow transplation for the cure of sickle cell anemia/aplastic anemia. I am sure the same basic risks are involved because it would be the same procedure. For example 5-15% of patients do not survive the bone marrow transplant procedure. Finding a HLA match is very difficult, your best chances for a match is a sibling. We know there is a genetic link to Crohn's but there isn't one specific test to verify who will get the disease, so you are looking at the risk of being trasplanted with bone marrow from a sibling who would be a higher risk for Crohn's anyway. Also I find it interesting that this trial is allowing people over 40 to participate. The guidlelines for BMT for aplastic anemia is less than 40 yrs old because of the much higher risk of complications, older bodies simply can't handle the procedure as well.
This might hold promise in the future for a cure but now I think this is outragous because of the contradictions with what actually causes Crohn's and the lack of testing to be able to prove that the bone marrow recieved is "Crohn's free".
hydrocortisone enema
05-12-2010, 09:01 AM   #5
Hedgehog

Hi Sharon,
I saw it too and found it on line here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...ealed-gut.html

I also posted a link in another thread to a TV programme with info about
new Crohn's treatments, including the bone marrow transplant.

You can watch it online here:
http://www.communitychannel.org/inde...275&Itemid=139

Gail
x

Diagnosed March 1st 2010

Medications:
6MP

Calcium supplement
Multivitamin
Fish oil supplement
05-12-2010, 09:13 AM   #6
Starrburst12

Ok i didn't catch the part about the stem cells being autologous. Def cuts out some of the risks. Will be interesting to see if the patient stays Crohn's free long term.
05-12-2010, 09:29 AM   #7
Starrburst12

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/715711_4

Here is a recent article titled: Autologous Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation in Autoimmune Diseases. The link is to the section just about Crohn's. The article says there is a phase III trial ongoing.
05-12-2010, 12:31 PM   #8
Claire617

My Support Groups:
Hey Sharon, yeah I did a lot of research into this around feb time, one of my consultants was Dr Fortun who was involved in the astic trials in Nottingham he's a brilliant doctor. However I was much too sick to be involved in the trial, my main problem that made me exempt was my weight which sucked, there's lots of boxes you gotta check! But I am a risk taker like this, he ended up giving me surgery but it certainly does look hopeful

http://www.facebook.com/people/Emma-...889?ref=search
05-12-2010, 01:25 PM   #9
CrohnsHobo

My Dr. at UCLA brought this up as a possibility in January. I think I would have to have exhausted all other options before I went this route, including surgery.

Past Failed Treatments:
Prednisone
Remicade
Asacol/Lialda
6 MP
Cipro/Flagyl
Humira
Methotrexate
Cimzia
Azothiropine
Entyvio
Augmentin
Stelara

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohns "cure" bone marrow transplant