Share Facebook

05-17-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
Rebecca85

Taking pentasa

They have started me on pentasa, 6 tablets daily, but i can't remember if i should take them in one go or divided up! What is the usual way? Also is it better to take them before or after food?

Thanks, Rebecca.
05-17-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
Swirl

Usually would say dose on the bottle. I take 4 tablets 4 times a day. I notice it helps me.
If it doesn't show, just call up your doctor. I take this with and without food.
250mg per tablet by Shire.
05-17-2010, 11:54 AM   #3
Rebecca85

The bottle just says take 6 tablets a day, normally if a doctor wants you to divide the dose it would say Eg take 2 tablets three times a day. So i presumed they meant take all 6 at once, its just everyone on here seems to take theirs divided. Suppose i had better ring up and check!
05-17-2010, 01:17 PM   #4
My Butt Hurts
Squeals-a-lot!

I take my pentasa split too. 2 pills each dose, 4 times a day.
My pharmacy told me that each dose should be a minimum of 4 hours apart, so I take it at 8 am, with lunch, with dinner, and before bed. It's hard to keep it spread out, so I often miss one dose each day.
I have seen where some people take 3 pills 3 times a day as well.

But yeah - your best bet is to call and ask.
05-17-2010, 05:44 PM   #5
MikeinBklyn
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I'm 4 x 4 or 250mg x 4 x 4 =4grams.

Pentasa should be spread out throughout the day. The capsules are made to dissolve in the illeum not the stomach. Having a steady flow of the med keeps the inflamation down in the illeum.
05-17-2010, 05:50 PM   #6
Nyx

My Support Groups:
I'm on Salofalk (pretty much the same thing) 3 pills twice a day. When I was on pentasa I was taking 4 pills twice a day.

Crohn's Diagnosis: May 2006
Current meds: none
Surgeries: Colostomy, December 2009

"Never trust a fart." Jack Nicholson, The Bucket List

Oscar is awesome! Loving my life with my stoma (with a hint of poo)!!

05-18-2010, 01:23 AM   #7
Rebecca85

i phoned the centre where i got the colonoscopy done, and she said i was supposed to have the granules not tablets anyway! So now have to wait for my consultant to phone, it might not make a difference but i might have to go back and swap. Grrrr.
05-18-2010, 02:14 AM   #8
Angee

I take Pentasa as well, I take 4 capsules twice a day...what was really freaky was when I had my fistula and it would drain I would get those little white medicine balls come out of it, freaked me out at first But I was told mine are time released and that I could take them all at once or split them up through the day that was easiest for me, twice a day works good for my schedule.
05-18-2010, 09:10 AM   #9
Rebecca85

Well its all sorted now, the tablets are fine and i do need to split into 3 doses (since its 6 tablets).
05-18-2010, 09:41 AM   #10
rygon

My Support Groups:
Even though the intructions told me that I should leave 3hrs min between doses, my doc said I could take all of them at once if i wanted to, although some ppl have trouble stomaching them like that. I used to be on 8x500mg a day (2 x 4times). So would take 4 at a time at the end of the day if i'd forgotten a dose
05-18-2010, 12:23 PM   #11
xX_LittleMissValentine_Xx

My Support Groups:
My doctor said it didn't matter when I took him when I asked, even though originally it was a split dose.
x x x
Infliximab

Past:
Pentasa
Prednisolone
Azathioprine

My blog: http://hollysbloggyness.blogspot.com/