• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anyone else a gym rat?

I am lucky to have my Crohn's under control enough to be at the gym about 6 days a week without any major problems.I weight train 4-5 times a week and do cardio about 5-6 times a week.
The problem is it seems like all the supplements I have tried have messed with my stomach. I'm lactose intolerant...so I have had no luck with whey. Anyone know a good soy protien? Or any protien that might be easy on the stomach? I have been trying to find one for months...right now I am just using EAS soy. It's pretty plain. I'm not sure how much it actually helps with recovery post weight lifting.
BTW: I am a girl, not trying to get HUGE. But looking to build my shoulders and biceps...trying to balance myself out a little.

I have trouble with most protein powders as well. I've found that the easiest one on my stomach is Isopure Zero Carb Whey protein.. it has very little lactose in it and is about the purest form you're gonna get in a powder.

If you absolutely can't handle whey or casein at all then you could give egg protein a shot.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/egg.html

It's made strictly from eggs and has 0 dairy derived proteins so it might be your ticket to a powder without the stomach problems :)

Hey there!

I don't really have any advice on protein powders for you, but I do love going to the gym all of the time. I try and go to do cardio about 5 or 6 times a week also. I use to go and do cardio twice a day when my husband was in Iraq. It kept me busy! I find that some weeks it is hard to exercise more than others, but honestly, it makes me feel a lot better and it kind of makes me feel like I can have some kind of control over my health!

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
I try not to do any work I don't get paid for. My wife won't let me get away with it though.

I will definitely check out the egg protein. I love bodybuilding.com but for some reason I had no luck when searching for protein on that site.
Manzyb- my husband is active duty navy, going through a 4 month deployment now. I totally understand the stir crazy feeling when they are gone. The trainers at the base have been the ones to push me and keep me on track. I was at about 38% bodyfat when I started Aug. 2008 and I am at about 19% currently.

Love working out. Hate that Crohn's hates it.

So yes, I've been working out for 7 years now, and redone lost progress several times now, after getting too sick. Currently progressing on attempt number 3 (attempt number two is in my sig) and doing quite well. Actually cutting now, as summer is here...

As was said, you can try Isopure, it's intention is to provide a lactose free whey. It often succeeds at this, but anything I eat, lactose or not, has shown to be tempramental for me, so I have given up on seeking any potential replacement since I know my IBD by now well enough by now. Plus as a guy I refuse to do any soy, and all other sources don't have the bioavailability of whey or the assimilation speed of whey. The overall combination of quick uptake and price makes whey the best choice for me. Egg albumin, rice, soy and gluten proteins are also options, but will be more expensive and/or have downfalls in some area or another when compared to whey, unfortunately (such as assimilation rate). Egg has extremely high bio-availability though...

I'm personally shooting for 220ish in weight with ~8-9% bodyfat. Easily attainable, and I'd be there already had I never been cursed with our friend Crohn's. After I achieve that and maintain it, I aim to then primarily increase strength next.

As for being a female, don't worry about bulking up, the hormones don't exist naturally for such an effect, and for shoulders and biceps, work your back and your chest along with military presses. You'll be doing compound movements and get better results. Isolation work is nice, but it will always come second to compounds. Your back work will increase your posterior deltoids and biceps, and your chest work will increase your anterior deltoids. The military presses will hit all three, but especially help the medial deltoids (three heads in the deltoid group)...the fact that you're doing compound movements will help with calories burned and will aid in sculpting the muscles you speak of, so the result will be a more pronounced look in those areas.

If any of this is unclear or confusing just mention it, I'm tired and aim to go to bed now.