Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » 5-ASA/Mesalamine » What is Mesalamine? Pentasa etc...

06-01-2010, 01:50 PM   #1
Mary

What is Mesalamine? Pentasa etc...

It says it is some sort of aspirin. Is it an immunosuppressant or not? Has it caused my acne, joint pain, hair loss, itchy dry skin? Does it work for others? I am only on Pentasa nothing else.

Diagnosed 10/2010 Mild Crohn's
01/2011 Severe Crohn's with fistula

Meds I was on-
Imuran

Current meds-
Pentasa
Humira 3/11
06-01-2010, 02:20 PM   #2
Nyx

My Support Groups:
It's an anti-imflammitory. A mild one at that. It's for cases of mild to moderate Crohn's. I'm currently on it for maintenance after my surgery. It may have caused some of those side effects, but maybe not. I've had all of those things long before I was on any meds. It's probably best to discuss this with your doctor and make sure that the drugs are right for you

Crohn's Diagnosis: May 2006
Current meds: none
Surgeries: Colostomy, December 2009

"Never trust a fart." Jack Nicholson, The Bucket List

Oscar is awesome! Loving my life with my stoma (with a hint of poo)!!

06-01-2010, 04:22 PM   #3
kenny

I took Asacol. They are 5ASA drugs. It is basically a form of Aspirin that works WHERE it is absorbed rather then through your whole system (systemically) like regular aspirin. They have a coting that breaks down in your intestine and releases the drug to the lining of your gut that is inflamed rather than in your stomach.

Diagnosed July of 2009 / Surgery Oct 2009 / 175mg Imuran since Jan 2010

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » 5-ASA/Mesalamine » What is Mesalamine? Pentasa etc...