• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

6-mp

Hi everyone -

I am completely new to this Forum. I'm a 48 year old man who's been living with Crohn's/ Colitis for over 30 years. I am fortunate in the sense that it hasn't affected my quality of life drastically, although I have been on medication for several years now. I have graduated from Asacol, to Entocort to Pentasa. My doctor now wants me to start taking 6-MP.

I wonder if anyone out there has experience taking this drug? From what I've read, there are potentially serious side effects. The prospect of starting with this drug has been emotionally overwhelming to. If anyone out there could share their experiences with 6-MP, I'd be enormously grateful.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi Nova and welcome! I too have been a long time Crohnie but have had more severe complications. I have been on 6mp and only lasted a week 3 separate times, and it affected my liver. Having said that, some have been on the sister drug Imuran and have been on it for many years and no side effects. Whilst they have to list ALL side effects it doesnt mean you will get them too, I am sure you know that. Some others will comment on it, just isnt my drug. Drinking ( alcohol) with it will make your liver toxic faster... All drugs have their sides and everyone is like a snowflake no two are exactly alike. Hope to see your around the forum, great bunch of poeple, for some laughs too, goodness knows we need it ;).

I am on the sister drug - Imuran - and I can say I was a little scared at first too, but as others have said the side effects are just there so they can cover their butts. I haven't really had any side effects and I think it is working. Your blood work will be closely monitored so if it is affecting you negatively as it did with Penny you will know pretty quickly and your doctor will take you off. Do your research, but don't stress about it too much (that only makes things worse).

mwb3779

Kitchenhawk
I'm on 100mg of 6mp a day. So far, just a few side effects. A little weakness for a couple months and still fatigue, but that may be from the Crohn's also. Overall I guess so far its been fine. I'm still going through flares but its not as bad. Get your blood checked for bone marrow toxicity regularly. However often your dr tells you too. Every week wouldn't be too much to start. Good luck.