• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newbie to the forum, not to the disease.

Hi everyone!

I decided to join this forum because I've been emotionally struggling with my situation lately and was hoping for support from people who've been there.

I'm a 30 y.o. female, who was diagnosed with Crohns at the age of 13. I've had several hospitalizations as a teen and one bowel resection about 10 years ago. After Remicade came out, I was in remission for almost 10 years (!!!) however, when I started a new, very stressful job, suddenly things started going downhill.

Interestingly, I didn't have a regular "flare up" this time around...no abdominal pain, a huge number of bathroom trips or weight loss. Instead, I developed a horseshoe perianal fistula in January 2009. I've had 7 minor (in comparison to the bowel resection) surgeries in a year and a half. Numerous infections. One failed cook plug placement. I'm currently living with 2 setons, or as I like to call them, butt piercings...the last one having been implanted only a week ago, so I'm still pretty sore.

What I'm trying to do for myself at the moment is lead a less stressful lifestyle, which begins with me quitting my job. I'm hoping the setons help keep everything draining and leave me infection free for a long period of time. I don't want any more hole closure attempts once things settle down because I want to start a family within the next year or so.

I have a few questions for my fellow Crohns buddies:

1) Has anyone been pregnant with an open perianal fistula? I spoke with my surgeon and GYN who are both supportive of me getting preggers once things have been calm for a while. However, I would like to hear the personal experience of anyone who's gone through this.

2) Has anyone with a firm diagnosis of Crohns had any success with a plug or flap procedure?

3) Has anyone decided to live with a seton for the long term? Was that successful for you? For how long?

My main concern about fixing the fistula is bowel incontinence. I would rather live with a seton for many years and wait for new scientific breakthroughs that rush into a surgery that carries the risk of fecal incontinence.

I keep thinking about the BP oil spill...all holes seem difficult to plug! lol!

Thanks in advance to all those who respond.

I can't really help with any of your questions. But, I can say welcome to the forum! I hope that someone around here can answer your questions. I would like to hear what they say as well.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I was pregnant with both a perianal and rectovaginal fistula.....no complications, but I did have a c-section.....no surgeries to fix them - a few months after I had my daughter I started Remicade, which cleared up the fistulas.......