Share Facebook

06-05-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
kenny

BBQ Steak

I have been feeling pretty good and expanding my diet. My doctors are all pretty adamant that I eat a well balanced diet that includes red meat. Up until now I have only made red meat once a week at most and cooked it with a slow cooker to make it very soft and seemingly easier to digest. But I really miss BBQ steak. I know I can do the beef thing as long as it is tender and well chewed. But how about the BBQ?

Does anyone find the grill makes the meat harder to digest? I was thinking of going back to the old charcoal bbq. I gave away my gas monstrosity/side-burner toting beast last year. I have been thinking of a small kettle type to make the odd dinner with this summer.

Any thoughts or advice?

Diagnosed July of 2009 / Surgery Oct 2009 / 175mg Imuran since Jan 2010
06-05-2010, 07:57 PM   #2
Mountaingem
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Try taking a couple of Bromelain capsules before you eat the steak. It is an enzyme from pinapple that helps break down protein in the digestive tract. It has really helped me with steak; also for some reason if I don't eat potatoes or other starchy vegetables with red meat I am able to digest it better-no idea why.

I WILL STAY STRONG
I WILL FIGHT
I WILL WIN

Current Meds: Cimzia, Methotrexate, Prevacid, Sertraline, Nortryptaline, Prednisone, Atenelol
06-06-2010, 10:52 AM   #3
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
Well, I'm currently sticking to the theory that charcoal bothers my stomach, no matter if it's red meat or not. But, I do plan on trying it again when I'm not actively flaring. You wanna borrow our little Weber grill in the mean time? Haha.

As for BBQ sauce, it doesn't seem to bother me. I made shredded BBQ chicken in my slow cooker and tolerated it fine.

Let us know how the experiment goes!
January 2014 - adopted a mostly Paleo diet
May 2015 - still in remission!

Currently Taking
Humira - 40mg/week
Imuran - 125 mg/day
Calcium magnesium citrate
Fermented cod liver oil/butter blend
Culturelle probiotics
Vitamin D
Vitamin C
Biotin
Allegra
06-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #4
Mark33180

It also depends on the doneness that you cook the steak to. Medium Rare is gonna be much more tender then well done. plus Med-rare is the only way to eat a steak in my opinion but that's just an opinion

Worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere

Diagnosed with Crohn's 11/01 - Battling ever since
06-06-2010, 05:22 PM   #5
MapleLeafGirl

I tried some Bison the other day in a restaurant. Since it is very lean, they won't cook it any more than medium rare. I gotta say it was the most amazing red meat I've ever had. It melted in my mouth. Maybe you could start with something like that? I think I saw you mention in an earlier post you weren't willing to try the organic buffalo a nutritionist had recommended, and I was hesitant too, but it really was wonderful.

Diagnosed: August 2006
Current Meds: Imuran (125 mg), Budesonide (9 mg)
06-06-2010, 06:36 PM   #6
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
I had a bison burger once by accident at a restaurant (someone at the next table ordered the same burger I did except theirs was supposed to be bison and they got switched) and it was the best burger I ever had.
06-06-2010, 07:52 PM   #7
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
Better cuts of meat too will be more tender......we did chuck steak on the grill last night - marinated it in 'Jacks' Old South Marinade'.....there were parts that I could cut with a FORK - it was so tender.......

Meat HAS to be medium rare.....even have my daughter eating it that way!

30 plus years and counting with UC/Crohn's!
on remicade since 11/05

While my experiences may not be what everyone has had- I feel it is worthwhile to share any and all experiences that may be beneficial to others.
06-06-2010, 08:19 PM   #8
kenny

Mmmmmm . . . . .

Well I bought a little charcoal grill with a lid that will do fine for the 2 of us. So I guess I will give it a try and see how I tolerate charbroiled meats. I have some boneless chicken breast, pork loin chops and some inside round steak for a start. I love Rib steak but cant justify the cost right now

The bison is over $22/kg ($11/lb) and that is the only real reason I pass on it. I hate spending more than $5/lb for meat. I guess I am cheep like that, but you got to do what you got to do.

And it looks like roasting corn on the cob is out. That last cob took three days to clear and has had some residual trace pain.

Thanks for the tips everyone and I can appreciate that rare might be softer to digest. I really prefer it that way and if its going to to be easier going then RARE it is!

Last edited by kenny; 06-06-2010 at 08:22 PM.
06-06-2010, 10:17 PM   #9
D Bergy

I do not have trouble with Red Meat no matter how it is cooked, but it is a lot better on a charcoal grill. BBQ sauce has not bothered me either, even on a big plate of greasy Ribs.

For some reason, I am hungry.

Dan
06-07-2010, 07:11 AM   #10
kenny

I guess some nice charbroiled shark or Tuna steaks could be another option
06-07-2010, 08:53 AM   #11
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
Try not to use lighter fluid though.......
06-07-2010, 06:36 PM   #12
kenny

worked great. Takes a few extra mins to heat the charcoal and the temp is a lot slower but man it did a nice job! I haven't had a old fashioned bbq since I was a kid at home. I have always owned a propane grill until now. The lump coal really made a difference and there was no crispy blackness on the meat at all. Just nice and soft and rare all the way through.

I used an electric starter but I think I am going to use the coffee can trick next time with a wad of paper.
06-07-2010, 09:59 PM   #13
D Bergy

A charcoal grill makes meat taste a lot better. I junked my gas grill. It just does not taste nearly as good cooking on gas.

Dan
06-07-2010, 11:52 PM   #14
mwb3779
Kitchenhawk

Moocow meat makes me very ill now. Something I never EVER thought I would say. However bison is a fantastic alternative. No issues there for me at all. I like mine red with a little meat juice still..... mmmm meat juice....
W.C.C.....Charter member

...Never trust a fart
06-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #15
Silvermoon

I never thought I had an issue with meat in general, until my husband and I started buying "organic" beef. What this means to us is, in the spring, at the 4-H auction, we buy a piglet and a calf. We get a neighbour to raise them for us for the summer with no unnecessary stuff put into them...so basically they eat grass all summer and that is it...no growth hormones, no extra vitamins, nothing. They get fed grain in the fall to "finish them" (this makes the meat a little more tender...not too grain though, or you get a lot of fat). Another neighbour butchers them for us, and there is our meat for the year! (Sometimes it lasts up to two years... or maybe we do a pig one year and a cow the next). We hope to start growing our own meat soon, but we gotta get the fence around the pasture fixed first.

So I am not sure if this meat is the same kind of "organic" meat you can buy in the stores... I mean... how do you know the parents weren't force fed? What is in the grass they eat? (Oh yeah, the pasture our neighbour uses to feed our particular animals does not have any weed killer on it... he won't allow it.... he raises his own animals there.) But anyway, I find now when I eat "store bought" meat, I get a little uncomfortable that night. Same thing with restaurant food. Not enough to totally stop eating out, or to not buy meat from the store, but enough that I notice a difference.

I am not sure if this option is available to other people, but I am glad I stumbled across it, 'cause I would have to be in pretty serious pain before I gave up my steak!! Oh and, it costs me about 3 to 4 dollars (Canadian) per pound of meat when all is said and done and wrapped up in my freezer!

And we BBQ ALL our meat...lol
06-16-2010, 03:39 PM   #16
Keona

haha.. I was so scared to even open this thread for awhile by just reading the title. I dont know .... Im scared for you Kevin lol.... just the thought slams my small bowel shut
J/K.... it does taste good though doesnt it ?
Dx Endometriosis April 2011

"if nothing changes - nothing changes

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=530585394
06-19-2010, 12:59 PM   #17
Mark33180

Thats one thing i love about where i live there is alot of wild natural game that i can eat kill it myself, all natural. taste better that way.
07-04-2010, 11:11 PM   #18
Christina

So does grilling in general make other people sick? Steaks kill me, but tonight I had chicken and cooked veggies (avoided the corn ) and had to make several trips to the restroom. I am wondering if it is the charcoal??
07-05-2010, 12:41 AM   #19
Entchen
Chief Dandelion Picker

So I am not sure if this meat is the same kind of "organic" meat you can buy in the stores... I mean... how do you know the parents weren't force fed? What is in the grass they eat?
I completely agree, Silver. In addition to your on point examples, even the definition of "free range" can vary widely -- and can include a number of options that most of us would NOT think should count as free range at all.

I like to think that all living creatures deserve a shot at a happy life, and the resulting product can sometimes reflect same. Were the cows stressed? (Less milk production.) Were the pigs treated humanely right up to slaughter? (Sometimes their hearts give out in the truck because of the conditions.) Etc. etc.

I don't have space in my home for a deep freeze, so buying 1/4 of a cow, etc. is "out" (although friends of mine do this and I applaud them, and you, for it). One thing I've done is get to know my local growers at the farmer's market. I had an opportunity to tour one of the grower's farms last summer, as well, and was impressed with the lack of bad odours, clean barns, big open fields. My primary concern is that the animals are treated humanely, including being fed what their systems are accustomed to. Plus, garbage in (grass coated in pesticides, for example) could potentially lead to garbage out (including when I eat it), so that's important to me, too.

I attribute the difference that I experience physically to the higher quality of the meat. Lean beef really is lean. These beautiful pork bratwurst that I started buying recently are extra lean, preservative free, and contain only natural ingredients. My stomach does very well on these sorts of foods. This isn't just a Crohn's thing, either -- my mom and sister also have trouble with most store bought meat items. We were never really exposed to the bulk of store-bought food options, so our systems aren't used to preservatives and artificial flavours, etc. (turns out we were lucky that we couldn't afford to eat Eggos and Lunchables!).

I balance out the higher cost of local, ethical eggs and meat by making most of my meals from scratch, including things like bread and gnocchi pasta with sauce. I used to make my own cereal, too, but granola filled with nuts isn't exactly Crohn's-friendly! I also avoid many recipes for casseroles, which can be high cost and high in fat and sometimes salt. Oooh, and I make a few hot drinks for pennies each that I think could potentially rival Starbucks!
Turned my Crohn's life around: ginger for nausea.
Claim to fame: "loopy and floppy" colon

Last edited by Entchen; 07-05-2010 at 01:02 AM.
07-08-2010, 08:14 PM   #20
kenny

So does grilling in general make other people sick? Steaks kill me, but tonight I had chicken and cooked veggies (avoided the corn ) and had to make several trips to the restroom. I am wondering if it is the charcoal??
You know this was exactly what I was wondering when I asked the question. What I am finding is that I can tolerate the grilling on the BBQ but in moderation. I need to make sure I have some rice or pasta dinners in between the grilled meat nights. I did eat a cob of corn on night and had trouble all that night and the next day. I took about three days to clear from my system actually.

But it is fantastic to eat like a normal person again, so long as I do it reasonably and pay attention to the early signs that I am pushing my luck too far.
07-08-2010, 09:43 PM   #21
Christina

Thanks for your response. I think that your final comment is the key for me. I can eat small amounts of most things. I just have to be really attentive to the amount I am eating. It just occurred to me . . . when we grill out we grill EVERYTHING so the whole meal is smoky. Maybe that's the problem, not the individual items. So I can have a small steak, but avoid the grilled veggies, or vice versa. ?? Will have to test this . . I'll let you know!
07-08-2010, 09:52 PM   #22
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
Christina and Kenny - I posted a thread about this a little while ago (with not much response). I suspect I cannot tolerate charcoal-grilled items as well. I can recall starting major flare-ups immediately after consuming various grilled items on 2 separate occasions. Now I stick to using the stove-top grill pan. But boy do I miss me some charcoal-grilled hotdogs!! I do plan on trying again in the future to see how I tolerate it, but not willing to press my luck right now since I've been doing really well since April! Glad to hear my cooky idea isn't as random as I thought
07-09-2010, 01:25 PM   #23
Christina

So there may be something to this . . . thanks for your input.
05-27-2016, 05:02 PM   #24
blackgothica

i find it really difficult to find recipes online that i can tolerate all the sites i have read for crohns disease recipes have been usless to me.most of the ingredients listed that most ppl with crohns can eat without a flare up is not so for me.there are soo many foods i can not eat anymore since ive gotten sick.for ex:no raw veggies (cept for potatoes and spinach),no spices (cept for salt and organic garlic power),nothing greasy,no raw fruits,no grains,no condiments(cept for butter,cream cheese and sour cream) no red meat,no peanutbutter,no chocolate
makes it hard to know what to make everyday,would be great if i could find a site with recipes i can actually tolerate.
05-28-2016, 08:48 PM   #25
drewpalermo
Banned

My Support Groups:
Do away with the BBQ sauce (usually sugar is one of the ingredients), and bake up some golden beets in the oven (with a little olive oil, garlic powder, cumin powder, cayenne pepper, and sea salt), until they carmelize. Stuff tastes like Asian Zing sauce from BDubs. I had those golden beets with some lamb the other day and it was bangin like a biscuit!