• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New Member & Remicade

Hello,

I am new to this forum.

I had a perforated cecum back in 1989 and had an operation to repair.
A right hemicolectomy.
At that time they thought i had Crohns.
No problems until 2009 when i had a colonoscopy as a 5 year check up.
Major probelms, developed a peri-annal fistula and after drainage, anti bio
drugs, many test they have discovered crohns.
It will not clear up.

Now after all has failed i have been informed that Remicade is my only path to
clearing up my fistula.

Problem is you are on this drug for LIFE. The other problem is that it is
$5000.00 a treatment.

Questions, is it going to work, i have to be on it forever and the cost.

As i am new any comments would be appreciated, txs, F

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
My fistulas cleared up within a couple of months (if not sooner) of starting remicade - and I have heard of people on the forum here starting and stopping treatment.....

Remicade

I have been living with the diagnosis of Crohns since I was 26 years old. I am now 53. I just want you to know that no matter how bad it may seem there is something out there that can help you. I have tried many alternatives throughout the last 27 years. I have also tried Remicade. I do think that it helped me get better but I only took it for 6 months. I was told that if I had any other illnesses to stop taking Remicade. I did catch an upper respiratory illness so I quit taking it. I too have a fistula.

I have been doing very well since I got over my upper respiratory illness. I have tried to get as much information on the best nutrition that I could take since we have a hard time absorbing nutrients. I have been taking B12 and D3 (5000 IU) every day for the last year. I have also started using a product called ASEA. This product has over 16 years of science behind it. There is a physician that chose 10 of his worst patients and put then on this product and he has seen some real positive results. If you want more information about this product you can go to:

I wish you the best in your health. Never stop believing that there isn't somthing else you can do for yourself. When I was in the hospital the last time I was also told that Remicade was my only alternative. Keep pushing all the good nutrition and stay positive. If there is anything I can do please do not hesitate to let me know.

Take care and God Speed.
Cathy,

hi Franko, & welcome to the forum :)

i merged the two threads and moved it into here - the Your Story section, as this is your first post.

i don't have any experience of Remicade, sorry. i'm shocked to see how much it costs!! i hope you can find a way of funding treatment for yourself, hopefully other members will post and offer more in the way of experience and advice than i can, regarding this treatment.

Astra

Hi Franko
and welcome

I've no experience of Remi neither, but check out the Remicade Club thread on info, costs etc, this will help
I'm shocked too about how much you fellow Crohnies have to pay for meds, we are so lucky over here with our NHS!
lotsa luv
Joan xxx