Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Lucky to find this site

06-12-2010, 06:09 AM   #1
Lucy

My Support Groups:
lucky to find this site

I've been diagnosed w/Crohn's since 2007. As time pases by I seem to develope new symptoms. The most recent is heartburn & nausea. Joint pain off and on for a year now. Pepcid seems to help, but I have to use it twice a day. Only one blockage so far and no surgery thank goodness. Does this thing just get worse and worse?
06-12-2010, 06:34 AM   #2
Rebecca85

Hello and welcome!

Are you on any sort of medication specifically for your Crohn's? Perhaps it's time you made an appointment to see your doctor. Things like Pepcid aren't meant to be taken longterm, and I think they can make things worse as the body produces more acid to compensate.

Do you find that any foods in particular give you heartburn?

And finally, from what I've read, it doesn't necessarily get worse as you get older. There are times when you feel worse, but there will also be times when you feel better (or even normal!).

125mg azathioprine
4g Pentasa
06-12-2010, 06:42 AM   #3
Lucy

My Support Groups:
Hi Rebecca85,
I'm on Humira once a week, calcium, vit.'s, pentasa, just tried probiotics but couldn't tolerate. GI wants to scope the esophogus if heartburn continues. I can be fine and start playing with my grandson, and then the heartburn starts (can be severe). Thank you for your insight.
06-12-2010, 07:04 AM   #4
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

Hi Lucy and welcome! As far as this disease getting worse, it can, but everyone is different. The Humira didnt work for me either. It is a good thing you are having a scope because I did and the heartburn was from a Hiatus hernia, from what I think is the prednisone. Let us know what your results are, and depending on the outcome I have experience in helping you out there.

Previcid and Nexium, any type of antacid should only been taken up to approx 6 weeks, the damage it can do is rob your calcium from your body, and you dont want any complications from that. Try not to bend over, the heartburn gets worse.

Glad you found us, lots of help here!
06-12-2010, 07:14 AM   #5
Astra

My Support Groups:
Hi Lucy
and welcome

sorry can't help you with this one, but lots of support here, glad you found us
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Joan

Dx Crohn's in TI 2005 symptoms for 15 years prior

BEEN ON -Azathioprine, 6MP, Prednisolone, Pentasa, Budesonide, Metronidazole, Humira, Methotrexate,

NOW ON -Amitriptyline 25mg
21/02/14 Right hemicolectomy surgery

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...4208290&ref=ts

No-one should make you feel inferior without your consent!

06-12-2010, 07:22 AM   #6
Lucy

My Support Groups:
Thanks for the info. I just joined and I already love this. It's so great to know I'm not alone.
06-12-2010, 09:02 PM   #7
Dexky
To save time...Ask Dusty!

My Support Groups:
Hi Lucy, your question is one I most worry about for EJ. I guess we'll all find out together. You've found a great place to learn and share. Glad you're here.

EJ dx w/ Crohn's 12/09
PSC 3/10

No more 6mp
Currently in the Humira Club
06-12-2010, 11:58 PM   #8
Keona

Hi Lucy,

I also have severe heartburn and have been taking omeprazole twice a day for a few years. I recently had an endoscopy where they discovered a hiatus hernia and inflammation of the stomach lining (gastritis). A few days ago I was diagnosed with Crohn's via MRI.

What they told me for the reflux (or if severe they call it GERD) is to raise the head of your bed with bricks. I use to have to sleep sitting up as the backwash was terrible. Sounds funny but does help somewhat. You can buy a wedge pillow that does the same but it is expensive. Also, don't wear any tight clothing as it puts pressure on your stomach and like Crohn's, you will figure out what foods will effect you.
As Jettalady mentioned, don't bend over especially after you have eaten or had anything to drink and if you're a smoker, it will relax the sphincter that connects your stomach to your esophagus and allows acid to backflow (as with certain foods). I was also recommended to eat small frequent meals and not to eat anything 3 hours before bedtime.
It can be serious if it persists so I hope you/your docs are able to get it under control.
Painful huh?
Hope you feel better soon

Wendy
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=530585394

Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Lucky to find this site