• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Medical School and Crohn's

Hello everyone! I've been following this forum for a while and thought I'd join the group. It seems like a great place for information and support, and it's nice to hear everyone's experience...I hope to contribute where I can. Recently I've been struggling with whether or not going to medical school is a realistic goal with Crohn's. Here's a brief overview of my situation:

I'm 22 years old and was just diagnosed with Crohn's in March 2010. The pains and problems started last August as I began my last semester in college, wrapping up a degree in biochemistry, and applying to medical schools. Fortunately, I was accepted to my first choice in November and chalked up the symptoms to simply being stressed and nervous about the application process. However, the GI problems continued, mouth/throat ulcers made it difficult to eat, I lost 35 pounds, had iron-deficiency anemia, and I experienced some major fatigue and lack of focus that made it very difficult to finish out my last semester in the classroom. Fortunately, I was able to pass my classes and finish my degree...but it was very rough.

My doctor confirmed Crohn's in March. Prednisone helped until I had to taper off when everything came back full strength. Pentasa did not work either. For several reasons my doctor considers my case in the "moderate to severe" category and recommended trying a TNF-inhibitor. I started Humira 2 weeks ago with the 4 injection loading dose (in the stomach >>> thigh). And now, just 2 weeks later I feel like I'm back to my normal life. However, I'm now debating whether a career in medicine (and the path to get there) is realistic.

From talking with others, I know the 4 years of medical school are extremely demanding. It's mentally, physically, and emotionally exhaustive. The 2-4 years of residency which follow can require 80 hour work weeks, and life as a practicing physician is no less stressful. Before Crohn's, I was confident in my ability to meet these challenges, I was aware of the sacrifices, and I knew medicine was the path I should follow. But I am now reconsidering this career choice should the extreme fatigue return with the other symptoms. Although I feel great now, I know it's impossible to predict how long any given medication will work and how the disease will progress. The medical field just seems not to allow for the troubles of Crohn's.

Everyone I've talked to about it says go for it, and I agree that this disease should not limit what I want to do in life. But at the same time, I want to be realistic with myself. I've only dealt with this for a few months, but I've seen people on this board who've had it for 25 years or more. I'd greatly appreciate any honest advice or perspective that some might be able to offer, especially if Crohn's has impacted your career choice or how you have pursued your career/education.

The fact that medical school will put me in about $180,000 in debt makes it such an even bigger decision...there's no room for error, haha. Thanks for your time!

hi there, welcome to the forum! :)

firstly, i'm really pleased to read how well you're doing with the Crohn's now - i hope things stay settled for you.

i don't really know what to advise you regarding your chosen career... i can only talk from personal experience, and the one thing i always wanted to do was to go into medicine in some way - but i got sidetracked and ended up doing something else. the love of the medical world never left me, and i know i could've been good at it, and would have loved working in that area. it is one of my biggest regrets in life. so i guess that's something for you to consider...

however, you're right in that leaping into 4 years of hard slog and stress could be detrimental to the plateau of calm which your Crohn's is at right now... and you're being sensible weighing it all up at this point in your life.

you're young though - young enough to change direction if the medical school studying proves to be too much for you. i don't know.. maybe my advice is to give it a try, and see how you go.

I agree - go for it! We need good doctors who understand :)
Also, what if you don't relapse and the thought/fear of relapsing stops you from achieving something that was achievable.

I would just hate for you to hold yourself back b/c of a "what if..?"

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi Number41!! Welcome. That is a very hard decision to make, my daughter who is 22 and just finished her 1st completed year, she is going in the medical field too. Yes, it is very demanding and getting top marks to get accepted is hard. Also the big bucks in University student loans are very high. You may want to continue in the medical field and find a position that is less demanding and not 7 years or more to complete.

You could be one of the lucky ones and have it mild and have it undercontrol. New medicines are being created and I too would hate to see you regret it. I will ask my daughter what she thinks knowing full well of my Crohn's but having said that you may find remission and be different. Hope you decide what is best for you. Glad you found us, keep in touch ok. We are here for you!

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
One word: Radiology. After residency, your hours will be a breeze.

Okay, just teasing. If this is your goal, then go out there and try! IMO, the best reason to pursue further education is for yourself, and if you will gain satisfaction from doing an MD, then this could be a very positive move. You can work with your profs, clinical supervisors, etc., IF any Crohn's-related issues arise. You will have university resources on hand to help, too -- maybe with accommodation, maybe with simply having a plan in place if your symptoms get bad (ex: doing a clinical rotation at home to be near your GI instead of doing a rural rotation). You may choose to change direction later, but that's okay, too. If you decide that med school isn't for you, there are plenty of medical careers outside of that route, too -- a PhD in medical physics or in oncology, for example.

Last edited:

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
I can't speak from the experience of having crohn's but as a father of a child with crohn's, I'd be heartbroken if he allowed this disease to derail his dreams. That being said, by the time he's your age, he'll have 12 yrs crohn's experience and will probably know better what he is capable of. You've got to make the decision based on what you know now and the advice of others. I hope you find the insight you need. There's a treasure trove of knowledge here. Good luck!!

Not sure if you're still considering med school - just came across your post. I'm a fellow crohn's patient (15 years, been through a lot!) graduating med school this year. You absolutely can do it if it's what you're passionate about. I know it's tough to find docs who are open about their personal experience with illness, but there are actually a disproportionate number of individuals with chronic illness in the profession! PM me if you want to chat =)

I agree with what Kelly said. There are a lot of things your university and professors can do to accommodate you should you experience a decline in health and need some extra time to complete assignments/projects.

It's better to go at it and give it your all and decide not to then to preemptively decide not to do it because you think you won't be able to. And there are a TON of different ways to go in medicine, like others have said. You could find a different branch of medicine that is not as demanding.

Or maybe a chat with some of your most respected professors might help give you a better perspective in forming a decision.

Best of luck to you! :)

I agree with those who say "go for it".

This is something you have worked hard toward and you have succeeded in getting to this point. It would be sad to let go of your dream without giving it a go. Yes, it is expensive, but you don't incur that debt all at once, it comes as you go along, and if you were forced to stop at some point along the way the debt would only be to that point. As you know, medical science keeps moving along and perhaps something will turn up in the future that works really well for you.

You might also talk to your medical school; it used to be that some programs had policies where you can take extended periods of time, like a year, off for serious life events and they will allow you back in without the whole re-application process.

All the best to you in making this tough decision.

Aisling

I'll just throw my 2 cents in. If you really want to go to med school don't let Crohn's stop you.
But you're right, the reality may be tough at times. My Crohn's started in college and I've been dealing with it for over 20 years in corporate life. I'm sure this is much less demanding job then residency (in both stress and hours). High stress has always made my bowels stir, so I can imagine when they wheel in a critical patient and I would have to hit the mens room. Not a huge problem in corporate life when I'm working on a computer, but might not go over well with a waiting patient.

But still, go for it if this is your dream and make it work! Welcome to the forum.

listen to your body

Medical School sounds amazing, Goals are always good to have. Crohn's has kept me, in my mind from doing some of the things I've wanted to do, you can always try and see for yourself if your mind and your body can take the stress and demands of medical school first. Take it easy.... Go for it!!!!!!