• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I am new plz Help me , my story

I'm Chand from India. I'm 23 years old and have just finished my master's from SIU (USA). I was evaluated for Chronic recurrent abdominal pain of 1 month duration assocaited with weight loss in 2008 in USA. I went back to India and on evaluation found to have ileal ulceration with normal bowel and colon. Biopsy showed granulomatous lesion. C.T abdomen showed thickend bowel with featuers suggestive of Chron's. I was put on Pentasa and Probiotics in 2008 August and I remained stable in India and so I moved to USA for studies and again I developed Perianal fistula in USA. I went back again to India, bcoz I couldn't get any GI appointment here. I was re evaluated and found to have sctive crohns disesase. I was put on Remicade 3 courses. I improved significantly (fistula dissapperared in 1 day after the remicade-- thank God !!)and there was good weight gain. I returned back to USA to complete my studies(May 2009). I was put on Pentasa, Probiotics, Immuran. Now recently, almost after one year I started loosing weight and I went to see GI here in USA. I had colonoscopy yesterday and Doctor said it all started again. I almost lost 25 pounds in a month. I am planning to go back (India) as my Insurance doesn't cover prescriptions(remicade). Do I need to be on Remicade or any other Injection all my life ?? My Indian Doctor, he is suggesting me to go on Remicade again and he said after the 3 Remicade courses I can be again off of remicade if I stay in India. I don't know what to do. I have registered to this Forum long back but I didn't have approval to post here till yesterday. I know so many here have gone through some situations like this, please help me out regarding this. Thank you!!

Most of us are on medications to help maintain our remissions or give us a bit more normalcy in our lives. I am on Humira and I assume that as long as it keeps working, I am going to be on it.

I wish you much relief and welcome to the forum!

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Hi Chand, do you plan to stay in the US? I suspect even with the new health care bill getting insurance to cover prescrips would be very expensive. Someone will be able to help you here. Good luck!!

Astra

Hi Chand
and welcome

Sorry can't help you regarding Remi, costs etc but there is a thread called Remicade club which might help to answer your questions.
But, I remember reading somewhere that you can't leave a gap of more than 16 weeks inbetween fusions of the biologics, correct me if I'm wrong anybody?
glad you found us, stay in touch and have a browse thro the threads on treatment and Remi
good luck
Joan xxx

Hi Chad, Welcome to the forum. It seems as though you do much better when you are at home. Have you thought about doing your US classes online if thats possible. What if your GI in India prescribed you something, would your family be able to send it to you in the US (not sure if thats legas, but just a thought). Wish you lots of luck. Sorry I'm not much help.

Regular Joe

Hi Chand,

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you have many things to focus on. I don't know enough about Remicade to tell you anything.

I know enough about the disease to tell you learn to keep your physical and mental health in top shape, learn all you can about how this autoimmune disease called Crohn's disease "operates", find the gastro doctor you feel comfortable with, and keep negative influences (people, places, things) at a distance.

Best of luck

Joseph

I agree with what Belle said about staying on your biologic long-term. I am on Humira, similar to Remicade, and my doctor said I'd pretty much be on that forever unless a cure or a better medication comes along. Right now I'm on a couple other medications on top of the Humira, one being Imuran, but they are to get my Crohn's under control. Once I reach remission, Humira will be my maintenance drug. Hope you feel better soon!

Thank you all for your replies. I am go'n to India on 21st June. Hope everything goes fne there.Thank you for your support! Thanks Thanks a lot :)

hallo friend

I have remicade injection on very reasonable rates, its buy 3 get 2 free offer,
means each will cost about 22,000 rs.