• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Welcome SamS

..........I don't know anyone else who gets sick as severely as I do. I have an aunt with IBS, but her stomach condition is VERY managable (and I'm happy for her...no one should have to go through this kind of pain). Like your mother, mine also feels guilty for my disease!

I've been dealing with my awful stomach for a LONG time, and honestly do believe I've got a pretty good handle on it emotionally. I've been dealing with it for almost 30 years, and have gone through EVERY emotional extreme possible! I've finally come to a point where I can love myself, not believe there is something wrong with me, and see that I AM deserving of love even though I have this disease (as we ALL are!!). I'm working on being patient with myself...because if I'M not patient and understanding with my illness, how could I expect others to be patient and understanding of it?? I've even found positive points to having this disease, believe it or not (and it was NOT EASY coming to this realization!) It serves as a damned good filter when it comes to people in my life...I would never have imagined that I am THIS strong and capable...I enjoy my life as much as possible, because I know this disease can potentially take my life away from me.

But even with all of this understanding that has been unfolding lately, I still get down in the dumps at times because I feel like I'm the only one going through this. It's tiring for me, sometimes, because I'm around all of these people who don't understand what I have, and quite frankly are frightened by it (those who have seen me at my worst pain moments), and I feel like I ALWAYS have to be strong and brave about it so that they stay strong and brave about it. I'm helping THEM cope with MY disease...how twisted is that?!

It is REALLY nice (but also makes me sad) to see SOOOOOO many people who understand and are going through the same thing. I'm glad I found this place, and I hope you find the support you are seeking as well!!

~Sam

i've moved part of the above post from another thread, to enable SamS to be welcomed here in the Your Story forum..

so - welcome Sam :) i hope you feel at home here, and i look forward to seeing you around the place.

Hi Sam,

Nice to e-meet you :) I like your comment about the disease being a filter. I hope not many people slip through your filter and you have plenty of support. There are lots of nice, knowledgeable people here and several have great sense of humours.

Welcome!

Astra

Hi Sam
and welcome

glad you got moved, you were stuck in Bethany's thread!
and we're glad you found us too! lots of support here for you, and lots of friends, you're no longer alone! We ARE strong! We have to be!
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Sam,

Maybe you can take a load off and not have to be so strong when you're hanging around here, give yourself the luxury of relaxing a bit, we don't mind! Good to have you here.

Regular Joe

Hi SamS,

Welcome. I'm glad you could join us. It sounds like your experience has taught you well. I'm intrigued and impressed. I can also identify with your ups and downs.

Welcome again...
Joe

PS - I don't know if you're from NY "city", but if you are, I can change my greeting from "Hi SamS" to "I guess I'm lookin' at you!" (which would follow the question you might have asked... "What are you lookin' at?")

Last edited: