• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Starting to freak out!

Have a surgery coming up in the next few wks for bad stricture/partial obstruction in terminal ileum. Any advice besides trying to eat less/trying to stay as close to liquids as possible? What do you feel like the 2-3 wks after surgery? I am now starting to freak out about the idea of them cutting into my stomach!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hey I know how you feel been there twice. It depends on how much they take out and how. Laproscopic is less invasive but you would have to ask your doc that. I ate smooth foods, mashed potato, oatmeal, pudding, ensures. I know it will seem like a lifetime away but when it is over, you can eat a more and be out of pain. Any questions just ask away. I felt fine after my first resection. But everyone is different. Let us know when you are prepping and going in.

:hang:

Hi
Surgery can be scary the first time but in my experience it's not as bad as you think. I've had 4 bowel resections and unfortunately none of them could be performed laproscopically. This means that you'll have a good size scar down your stomach but it heals fast and with scar cream it can become very light and not extremely noticible over time. The first couple of days are the worst but you'll be in the hospital and they will make sure you are not in pain. I was up walking within a day or two of the surgery. You just have to take it slow. You asked about how it would be after about 3 weeks, by then I was home and starting to get stir crazy. You should start to be feeling pretty good by then and atleast by then you should be able to eat well! That's the best part. I was always back to work by 5 weeks and feeling fine. The anticipation is worse than the surgery! Any other questions just ask.