• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New Here, first time posting

hello, my name is leo

i was diagnosed with crohns 5 years ago. i had major surgery when i was a junior in high school. i have not really ever felt any relief since ive had crohns. i really have no grasp on my crohns. its seemingly random to me. but reading over some of the posts on this site i can see that its not random.

i want to try to find my trigger foods. i think ive been unknowingly eating them for quite some time.

im on humira right now. approaching my third month with absolutely no signs of improvement. feeling a bit discouraged.

all i want right now is SOME SORT OF RELIEF. it has been unrelenting for 5 years.

im feeling hopeless as of right now, not sure what to do.

help?

Regular Joe

Hi Leo,

Welcome to the forum.

There are certain things that will trigger a Crohn's onset or flareup. These things are also guaranteed to make Crohn's Disease, the actual disease and progression, worse. These are: Smoking, Non-Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs NSAID's (Ibuprofen, Advil, Aleve, Asprin, Naproxin), and a diet high in refined sugars.

If you are feeling hopeless, the best thing I can suggest is to become "pro-active". Learn everything you can about your disease and it's many different types of treatments. Then try to make yourself the "master" over your disease, instead of letting Crohn's Disease master you. Make keeping your physical and mental health at top levels, and try to distance yourself from negative influences (people, places, things). Try to find as much support from others which may mean looking beyond family members who don't understand.

Hope this helps, and I do hope in the days ahead you find some relief and begin to feel better. I know that it's hard sometimes.
Joseph

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Welcome Wonderyou.. I am sorta in the same boat, havent had relief in 7 years and tried everything. You just have to do the trial and error thing and Joe is pretty much on the nose with avoiding stuff. Stress is also to be avoided... I know how?

Glad you are here!

Astra

Hi wonderyou
and welcome

yes I concur! be a good idea to start a food journal, process of elimination, if it flares up, don't eat it again, then reintroduce it back into your diet at a later date. When I'm feeling rough, I go back on the low residue diet, I call it white food, nothing coloured at all! just chicken, potatoes, white bread, white rice, fish, cheese and milk, it works for me. high fibre foods really irritate my guts, and I avoid nuts, popcorn, sweetcorn, seeds, dried fruit and raw veg.
have a scoot round the forum on treatments and diets, and look for the low res diet too, glad you found us, we're here to support you, any questions, fire away
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Welcome Leo, I don't know how long humira is supposed to take before getting results but you may discuss other treatment options with your GI if it isn't working as fast or well as it should. Welcome to the forum, you'll find a great deal of info here and some ol....experienced chronies with some great advice:).

Welcome, I'm sorry your feeling bad. Don't give up. There are lots of ppl on this site who have some realy good ideas. Look at different posts and ask questions. I have had Crohns for 16 years now and I still learn something everythime I log on. I agree with all above. Start a diary. You may want to look at some other posts realated to food. There seems to be a common thread. Popcorn, ounions ect. Just remember that its not always the same for everyone. Good luck

thankyou thankyou

thank you all for the support. it feels really good.

im starting on a low residue diet as of now. ill keep a journal. keep it simple for a while.

steamed veggies, fish, white rice. no sugar. all that jazz

do any raw fruits irritate you guys? ive been eating them forever not thinking they could be effecting me. ill cook mine now and avoid seeds, see what happens.

thank you thank you

leo

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Hi Leo, welcome to the forum. To answer your question, all of us are different so I'm sure there are some of us who can eat raw fruit. But in my case, yes, raw fruits tend to cause me problems - especially ones with seeds or skins, and I avoid fibrous ones like pineapple altogether. The only raw fruit I can eat without any problem is bananas - I eat bananas every day now. Someone else on the forum, I think it was Pen, said that bananas have "binding" properties and tend to help if you have a lot of diarrhea. She also said applesauce has good binding properties. So maybe start with those and see how you do. Good luck!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I
I think it was Pen, said that bananas have "binding" properties and tend to help if you have a lot of diarrhea. She also said applesauce has good binding properties. So maybe start with those and see how you do. Good luck!
Ha, I didnt think anyone actually reads what I say. Thanks Cat and it was me ;).

Usually pears are tolerated and I can eat peaches but I wait for ontario grown ..not hard and woody. I love pineapple too but mouth sores are always caused by it.
I can eat strawberries and raspberries too, and sometimes cherries, but not alot of them. Citrus is rarely tolerated and burns the butt lol.

Wonder you what country are you from?? Usually I can guess right off the bat , not this time ;)

hello leo - i am about to take the same approach- back to an extremely simple diet then plan to add things back in one by one and keep a diary. good luck to us both.
ah pen thats the magic of bananas? one of my standby diets is BRAT - bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast!

Welcome Leo,
I stay away from corn, all beans except green beans, raw veggies, most fruit, popcorn, nuts, but I can eat and tolerate really well canned mandrin oranges sweetened w/splenda Libbys brand. No issues with yogurt, applesauce, potatoes w/o skin. I miss salad I cannot tolerate salad at all. Food log is a great idea. I seem to eat a lot of the same foods that I know will not upset the crohn's. I eat lots of chicken. Best of luck.
lucy

Hey,
Agree with all of above, food and symptons diary is great thing to start, I have been doing it with my nutrisonist and have found out so much. Obviously everyone is different with what they eat but I would def avoid high fibre foods. After Pen telling me about banana's I have been eating them everyday, I am actually having a really good few days so bring on the banana's !!
Wishing you well, and stay positive, it takes time but you will get hold of this thing they call Crohns !!
Jo x