• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Adapt rings

I was wondering what happens when you guys have used Hollister Adapt rings. The Hollister lady wanted me to use one today and it started out great but now it has grown and is mostly covering my stoma. It's also pushed my flange into a strange shape where it was flat before is now bulging up. I can't change appliances again today as I've already changed it three times since 2 am last night. Does this happen to other people? Am I doing something wrong when using this product?

Thanks

Jeff

I had the same problem too,also I was allergic to Hollister products but then again I am with the ones I use now.But I feel Convtec works the best.You should ask about it.Also they have a paste by Hollister that worked good.

Thanks Sylvia, I was beginning to think I was the only one. You are the second person to recommend Convatec so I think I'll give them a call after I get my Hollister samples as I want to give them the best chance to work since I already ordered with them and I like their customer service. Then I'll try the Convatec after to see how I like them. Thank you

You welcome...I know how it feels.At first they just said it was because of having surgery.But my skin there never stopped weeping as they called it and then its suppose to itch because like a open wound they tend to do that but my always itches horribly.But like I also said there is a paste I bleieve if I can spell it right since its been so long its called Kayka I think.Or something similiar to that spelling.It worked well for a little while for me till my skin broke out again.

I really like the Adapt rings. They solved my problem and my skin is great now. Here is what I do:

Use paper towel to make sure skin is absolutely dry
Dust on some Convatec Stomahesive power and then wipe it all off
I enlarge the Adapt ring hole just a bit and apply it tightly around my ostomy
I then use the thin plastic it came in and press down all round evenly again and again.
Then I apply my wafer, I cut it before to the right size. And press down some more.

I do this only first thing in the morning after a shower where I removed the old wafer.
I rarely have any output then. I use the powder because people have raved about it's healing capabilities. I also think it further dries the skin.

The one time I did not use the powder, my Adapt ring starting lifting after a few days. Not sure if that was a coincidence.

Also, one time I made the hole in the wafer a bit too big and the Adapt ring started growing through it. So it's important to keep the wafer hole the right size.

I know everyone is different, but this is what is working for me.

Also, I read to use a very plain soap on wafer change day, so I started using Dial gold. My wife and I have always used Dove, but that probably not good for adhesion.

Last edited:
I really like the Adapt rings. They solved my problem and my skin is great now. Here is what I do:

Use paper towel to make sure skin is absolutely dry
Dust on some Convatec Stomahesive power and then wipe it all off
I enlarge the Adapt ring hole just a bit and apply it tightly around my ostomy
I then use the thin plastic it came in the press down all round evenly again and again.
Then I apply my wafer, I cut it before to the right size. And press down some more.

I do this only first thing in the morning after a shower where I removed the old wafer.
I rarely have any output then. I use the powder because people have raved about it's healing capabilities. I also think it further dries the skin.

The one time I did not use the powder, my Adapt ring starting lifting after a few days. Not sure if that was a coincidence.

Also, one time I made the hole in the wafer a bit too big and the Adapt ring started growing through it. So it's important to keep the wafer hole the right size.

I know everyone is different, but this is what is working for me.

Also, I read to use a very plain soap on wafer change day, so I started using Dial gold. My wife and I have always used Dove, but that probably not good for adhesion.
@ Joe - can you please write down the part number and company names.
To date it sounds like you did everything right so why re invent the wheel... I think you are using the Hollister bag?
Thanks

My part numbers are:
Hollister New Image Wafer #14603
Hollister New Image Pouch w/ filter and lock n roll #18183
Hollister Adapt Barrier Ring #7805
Convatec Stomahesive Powder #25510

Also use Hollister M9 drops #7715
Smith & Nephew Remove adhesive remover #403100 (I use this in the shower to get the old Adapt ring remnants off.)
I also use the Hollister Lube #78500, but I might just try some mineral oil.

I also have some 3m Cavilon No Sting Barrier wipes #3344. I only used this once a few weeks ago to cover a tender spot near my stoma. Good to have on hand for any skin irritation.

Everyone has unique folds, crevices, stoma locations, and skin chemistry so it seems everyone has to experiment a bit to find what works for them.

Last edited:
Thanks Joe You are the best!!! Should I order it through a specific web site? Do I have to clear with insurance first?

Nyx

@Dan...if you're having a colostomy as opposed to an ileostomy, you won't need to use all that stuff. I don't use anything but a flange, liner (just got them yay!!) and a bag. I don't use powders, adhesive wipes, pastes, or anything beyond soap and water. Since my stools are very hard, I don't have leakage problems, and getting the flange really wet helps with its removal without having to use other products. I think you'll only need to use some of those products if you have skin irritation.

Good luck with your surgery...I'll be camping when you go in, so I'll say it now :) Hope it all goes smoothly for you and that you recover quickly.

The Mt Sinai WOC nurse will give you a supply of the plain Hollister bags without filter and with the plastic closure clip. You'll have enough to get through the first few weeks. So you could wait until after your surgery to order.

I ordered first from Byram by phone, but their website only lets you do an exact reorder. So I switched to Edgepark. I did everything online with them, never spoke to anyone.

Everyone's insurance is difference so you should check with them. I knew mine covered supplies so I just ordered and waited to see how they handled it. They cover the basic supplies (including Adapt rings), but not the adhesive remover, M9 drops, barrier films, or belts.

It looks like they denied my last order of basic supplies, so I need to call and see what happened. My insurance is United Healthcare.

HI Guys - 3 more days for me and getting excited.
@ Cindy - I am having a total proctocollectomy like Joe did meaning I have both my colon and rectum removed.
Enjoy your camping trip.
@Joe - thanks for the detailed list. I found out why they shave the legs so they could attach the foliey bag and drain bags without pulling your hair out.

Thank you soo much for the support

HELP removing glue around stoma

I need help with removing the residual glue around my Stoma. What are you using?
Thank you

I had the same sticky problem. I do my removing in the shower and I use Smith & Nephew "Remove" wipes. They also make a product called "Uni-Solve". They seem very similar so I can't figure out what the difference is - if any.

The other brand adhesive removers are probably similar. My insurance does not cover them, but the cost is low. About $10 to $11 for 50 wipes. I use 2 with each change.

Also remember you don't have to get off every last bit of the old adhesive (even know sometimes I try to!).