Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Pain medication and addiction in Crohn's Disease

04-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #271
mike316atl

I have only been prescribed Tramadol for my Crohn's. It does help at times, but it is something I cannot see myself getting addicted to. The docs have me on 300mg daily. I was also prescribed dicyclomine and it helps with the abdominal cramping and pain.
04-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #272
steelerfan

My Support Groups:
I can say that I did go through a period of time where I thought I was becoming too reliant on percoset. Often looking to see how many days of pills that are left is a sign. Worrying too much about whether my dr. will give me more is also a sign.
4g Pentasa 2x a day
Remicade every 8 weeks
Calcium/Vita D supplement

33 I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.

John 16:33
04-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #273
allieinwonder

My Support Groups:
Mike, they allow you on 300mg of tramadol a day? Wow! My doctors only allow me 150mg a day, and it isn't enough for my bad days. But they refuse to up my dose or give me something stronger for my breakthrough pain. But be careful...tramadol is addictive! I have heard some awful stories of people who tried to stop taking it and had bad side effects. I myself have been on tramadol for a year and a half now, and my is slightly dependent on it. When I was put on pred the first time (higher dose than now) I didn't need the tramadol, and stopped cold turkey, and had terrible withdrawal symptoms! MY mind isn't addicted, but my body is dependent. Just be careful!

Steelerfan, that kind of worries me, bc I count my pills of tram and I also kind of worry when I think I might run out. But I am just worried about being in pain...Because I go huge gaps without taking it, and I only take it when I absolutely have to. I try my best to take it a minimally as I can.
DXed with Behcets disease December 7th, 2012. Behcets disease is a very rare autoimmune disease that mimics both Crohns and Lupus, attacking blood vessels all over the body, causing inflammation and damage.
www.behcets.com

Do you love blankets to keep you comfy as much as I do? Fellow spoonies get a 20% discount on my high quality handmade afghans! Just enter SPOONIE at checkout on Etsy!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/AllieBlankets
04-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #274
steelerfan

My Support Groups:
It definitely worried me. I am not on any pain meds now. I would take them when my pain was much less than in the past...it was def all me...one of my flaws is addiction...of all sorts. If I like something, I want more of it...maybe its a self control issue lol...is there a difference between lacking self control and addiction?
04-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #275
Josephine

My Support Groups:
I have being addict prednisone in the early days.

Sacroiliitis and add to grew list auto immune diseases.

Now on Lansprazole 15 mg And Gavin son 5mg-10mg 3a day.

Crohns from Oct 2007
Domperidone 10 mg -20 mg, Mebeverine 135 mg,
3 a day.
Balsalazide 750 mg 3 X3 a day on going.
Bone protection.

Azathioprine is not working, still waiting to find out what next. Still on low dosage Prednisolone

Mesalamine Enema

No Wheat

English my native language and have characterizes of dyslexia.
04-03-2012, 03:18 PM   #276
steelerfan

My Support Groups:
I guess that is possible...if only (for me) because the stomach pain goes away...without the feelings of euphoria...which was my problem...I enjoyed the euphoria.
04-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #277
mike316atl

Mike, they allow you on 300mg of tramadol a day? Wow! My doctors only allow me 150mg a day, and it isn't enough for my bad days. But they refuse to up my dose or give me something stronger for my breakthrough pain. But be careful...tramadol is addictive! I have heard some awful stories of people who tried to stop taking it and had bad side effects. I myself have been on tramadol for a year and a half now, and my is slightly dependent on it. When I was put on pred the first time (higher dose than now) I didn't need the tramadol, and stopped cold turkey, and had terrible withdrawal symptoms! MY mind isn't addicted, but my body is dependent. Just be careful!

Steelerfan, that kind of worries me, bc I count my pills of tram and I also kind of worry when I think I might run out. But I am just worried about being in pain...Because I go huge gaps without taking it, and I only take it when I absolutely have to. I try my best to take it a minimally as I can.
Yes, they said the max a person can take is 400mg and they didn't want to do that! During my last colonoscopy, they saw lots of ulcers, inflammation and such. They also saw me in lots of pain! Guess thats why they want me at such a high dose?
04-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #278
chrisnsteph1022

My Support Groups:
Maybe that's why my tramadol does nothing for me. It's only 50mg! I take oxycodone/percocet for pain. I was getting better and didn't take any for a few weeks, but I've started taking it again the past couple days. 3.5 more weeks until my next infusion!
Moderate/severe flare through entire colon 12/2010-10/2012
Lialda, omeprazole, Remicade, Methotrexate, Folic Acid, Questran
Been on Asacol, prednisone, Apriso, Imuran, Entocort and Cimzia
FB support group
04-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #279
mike316atl

Maybe that's why my tramadol does nothing for me. It's only 50mg! I take oxycodone/percocet for pain. I was getting better and didn't take any for a few weeks, but I've started taking it again the past couple days. 3.5 more weeks until my next infusion!
It doesn't do that much for me! They won't prescribe narcotic pain relievers to me because of the effects it has on the bowels. I was also just diagnosed with degenerative arthritis in my back as well. Not a great few months to say the least! All I can think to myself is that I am 26 with these life long diseases now.
05-07-2012, 10:16 PM   #280
Biek

I've battled addiction in the past. I was only 18 when diagnosed - went from being an athlete my whole life, played baseball competitively and was going to play in college until all my health issues surfaced. Needless to say I got depressed and was in denial for many years. I continued to eat and drink and live my life with no regard to how it would effect my health. I had two bowel resections just a few years apart and got hooked on hydrocodone. I was soon introduced to Oxycontin and became hooked on that immediately. First it became a mental addiction - it made me feel better and relieved my anxieties. But it wasn't long before it became a physical addiction. I was buying them off the street, crushing them and snorting them. I lost my job, my family, my doctor and had sold my belongings to pay for more Oxy. I eventually started IV'ing them and that's when things got really bad and I wished for death. I wasted several years of my life on that junk and if it wasn't for my family I probably would have killed myself. Because my parents and sisters were there for me, I eventually asked for help and went through detox multiple times and eventually went into a 30 day inpatient rehab center in Florida. Long story short I've been clean for almost two years and my life has completely changed. I found a new doctor, no longer on any pain medicine and take my medicine religiously. I'm no longer in denial with my disease and finally taking charge of my life. It was a crazy journey but it has made me a stronger person and I'm better because of it. I could probably write a book on the crazy shit I've experienced. I hope none of you have had to go through what I did and if you see yourself becoming dependent on pain killers, get help immediately before its too late.
Small bowel resection in Aug 04. (18cm removed)
Small bowel resection in Aug 06. (26cm removed)
Previously on Remicade and Humira.
Currently on Cimzia 400ml/month.
05-07-2012, 10:33 PM   #281
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

Oxys are the worst. I got hooked on them when they had the easily removable coating. The manufacturer should be held liable for murder for how many have died directly or indirectly to OxyContin. There is hope though. A few of us have been lucky enough to get out in time. I know people who died from opiates. No joke.
05-07-2012, 10:36 PM   #282
Biek

Yes, that's when I was on them as well. Now they are hard to abuse with the new formula. Unfortunately myself and many others switched to heroin because of the new formula and I too lost a friend to the drug.
05-07-2012, 10:58 PM   #283
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

Same thing happened to me. Met my heroin connect at a county detox. Finally, after a year of that, i sought help and ended up on methadone for 6 months and never looked back. That was 7 years ago. :-). Good job!!! Only someone who's been through the bowels of hell with opiate addiction knows how much better you must feel now! Did you take suboxone to help with opiate withdrawals? I don't think I would be opiate free if it wasn't for that short 6month stint on "the juice", but methadone also has a nasty and prolonged withdrawal. Glad it's in my past, but I can relate to the guilt of time lost and wasted but we shouldn't waste our present moment regretting the past. That would be a waste. Thanks for sharing!
05-25-2012, 10:52 PM   #284
scrubs

I have suffered from some really bad pain - the kind that makes me crawl into a ball and writhe around in bed (and sometimes the floor). Tylenol and tramadol work for me in that they take the edge off and make it more bearable, but the pain is still bad and I am still trying to see what helps the best.

Tramadol is an opioid and is still potentially addictive. However, it works differently from other opioids like morphine and oxycodone. It is overall less addictive and has less GI slowing than other opioids. Prolonged use of any opioid will cause some sort of physical dependence so long term use is generally not recommended. Do not let the fear of physical dependence prevent you from seeking something to help with the pain though!

I am an MD but in no way should my responses be taken as a substitute for your doctor's advice.
05-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #285
NYCIBDGUY

WOW... I'm just finding this thread now and although I haven't read all the messages it's so amazing to see that I'm not alone!!

I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease when I was 10 years old (33 now). I went through my entire youth running to the bathroom because even though I wasn't in a complete flare up, irritable bowel symptoms persisted. It led to embarrassment, low self-esteem, anxiety, depression, you name it.

I was really passionate about my goals in life, but after a while of fighting the rejection and struggles to succeed, the combination just knocked me over.

I felt like the doctors just didn't understand, and didn't push for the psychiatric help I desperately needed.

After about 4 years in a career path that I enjoyed I hit a wall of resistance in moving forward and, combined with my anxiety related symptoms, I gave up.

I changed cities and although I was able to get jobs here and there, it was very hard for me to feel satisfied and my symptoms persisted psychologically anytime I was further than 5 minutes from a bathroom. I left another interesting job in part because of this.

Finally, I didn't know what to do. I was able to get on unemployment and get financial support from my family, but I ended up turning to weed, and then opiates just to try to take a break from my stomach pain. My opiate addiction lasted over a year, and I relapsed from time to time. Suboxone was a savior, as was leaving New York.

Now I'm in a situation where I see a therapist who is helping me. My only Crohn's meds are Lialda, Remicade infusions every 6 weeks, and vitamins. I also take Celexa and Ativan for my psychological problems.

I do find that when i'm about a week away from a Remicade infusion I get diarrhea, and I've been taking small amounts of suboxone to help deal with that although I am almost out of my supply from when I was cleaning myself up.

After going through addiction and studying medications online as much as I can, I really believe that suboxone could be a miracle drug for Crohns relief. Yes, it is an opiate... but I have never ever felt the need to take more of it as, unlike other opiates, it has a limit to how much you can take and feel the effects. It doesn't get me "high" but it makes my stomach feel so much better.

Is there any chance this medication can someday be added to the tools a GI doctor has for treating Crohn's symptoms??
05-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #286
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

"They" would never allow suboxone or methadone to be used for Crohn's as it's associated with "junkies". I'm sure they would be good thought. I've only been on methadone.
05-26-2012, 02:53 PM   #287
NYCIBDGUY

"They" would never allow suboxone or methadone to be used for Crohn's as it's associated with "junkies". I'm sure they would be good thought. I've only been on methadone.

Although you are right, it's sad.

I never felt that the doctors properly treated my symptoms, in multiple cities even. When you feel trapped by your disease it is only natural to want to self medicate.

Also, doctors don't mind prescribing other opiates that just lead down a bad path.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you are going to turn to pain killers (whether through a doctor or elsewhere), suboxone is probably the best one out there for a couple reasons.

1. There's a maximum dose beyond which you won't OD or feel higher, it's just the max. So, unlike other opiates, you don't feel like you need to keep increasing your dose.

2. It forms a barrier preventing other opiates from linking to your receptors so you're safer from other opiates.

It's been a godsend for me and I portion it out so I won't run out for at least another 5-6 rounds of Remicade.
07-15-2012, 04:33 AM   #288
TheyCallMeRC

I haven't read every post in this thread, so I hope I don't echo someone else exactly, but just thought I would share my pain management and maybe a couple of tips for those that are not aware. Also I want to say that I also have degenerative disc disease along with my crohns pain and that's why I see a pain management clinic.

Back before my last surgery (small bowel resec. with illeostomy for a year to promote less scar tissue) my GI dr. was treating my pain with Percocet 10/375. This was starting not to work and he refereed me to a pain management clinic. This is a very strict and respective clinic, not a pill mill, we have to take urine screens every month and they constantly run various tests to make sure the pain drugs aren't messing up anything.

Anyhow, after 5 years and the body naturally becoming dependent and tolerant to narcotic pain meds., They have me on Morphine Sulfate 100mg 3 times a day and Roxicodone 30 mg 5 times a day.

A lot of people have posted how narcotic pain meds. slow down the digestive system and this is true for the most part, but as I only may have close to a normal bowel movement sometimes when on high doses of prednisone, this isn't really an issue for me.

The one tip I want to tell that suprisingly a lot of people don't know is to have the hospital call in your pain doctor if you are admitted. Everytime I have to go to the ER with severe pain, they will give me like 1mg of dilaudid and it doesn't even touch the pain. But the ER docs. don't know and can't just take someones word for it and so they will only do so much. They call in my dr. and he will have them set up a dilaudid pain pump, or whatever it takes to get things under control.

We have pain doctors and pain medicines for a reason, and if used properly can give you a better quality of life. One thing I have found out over 17 years of living with crohns is that no two people will have the exact same symptoms, side effects, pain, etc.....

I wish everyone on here the best of luck with your disease and here's to a cure to crohns!!!!!!
07-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #289
ekay03
My dog has hands!

i was just wondering if anyone else here has experienced getting addicted to a pain med? (like codeine)-and-if so--what do you use for pain now? (if anything) i got addicted to tylenol 3's (tylenol w 30 mg codeine). i had been taking them for awhile then-(starting with shingles-one small nerve was in pain along eye--but-that one little nerve caused enormous pain-worse.
Hi shane, you could take acetaminophen. besides that..... IDK. Aside from that there really isn't very much that I can think of. Also it depends on what kind of pain it is you are trying to treat.
Nexium
Buspar
Zoloft
amlodipine
clonidine
Ferrous Sulfate
Folic acid
multivitamin
Bentyl as needed
Lyrica x2 daily for pain
Norco as needed for pain
Ondansetron as needed for nausea
Miacalcin for the bones
That's a lot of stuff, but I feel good

Friend me: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=580468712
07-20-2012, 10:22 AM   #290
Dixiedoll23

My Support Groups:

I'm on 400 mg of tramadol, thats the highest you can go. Also on Oxycontin ER 30 mg tabs 2x daily.

I started ordering my tramadol online, I get 180 tabs for 100 bucks including express shipping.I was tired of doctors not giving me any trams at all, especially when I have been on them for years.The company I go through is called alignehealth and they have been great.I've been ordering from them for a few months now, and have not had any problems.Getting tramadol online is illegal in some states, thankfully not mine.
07-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #291
allieinwonder

My Support Groups:
I'm on 400 mg of tramadol, thats the highest you can go. Also on Oxycontin ER 30 mg tabs 2x daily.

I started ordering my tramadol online, I get 180 tabs for 100 bucks including express shipping.I was tired of doctors not giving me any trams at all, especially when I have been on them for years.The company I go through is called alignehealth and they have been great.I've been ordering from them for a few months now, and have not had any problems.Getting tramadol online is illegal in some states, thankfully not mine.
I have heavily thought about ordering my tramadol online as well. My situation has actually changed since that post. My GP has decided that she needs to watch my pain meds like a hawk....she will only give me one months supply at a time, and actually only gave me 2 weeks supply during my last visit to make sure I come back. She is giving me as little as possible, 150mg a day. She did add another pain med, codiene, for night time since tramadol causes insomnia for me, which I am grateful for, but I doubt she will let me stay on that for a long period of time. I mean, I would never up my tramadol to more than that a day unless I absolutely had to (so not an everyday thing), but I don't like stressing over the fact she keeps me on such a short leash like I'm a criminal.

I am in Germany, so I have no idea if it would be legal for me to order it online. I'm here with the U.S. Army, so I would probably have to follow U.S. Law somehow too. Whenever I mention it to my husband he jokingly says we should just order pred, not trams, and up my meds to get my pain down. >.< Obviously remission would be better than all these pain meds, if only the doctors would do more to try and get me there.
08-28-2012, 12:41 AM   #292
KevinHumphries

I've been reading these posts for hours, and would like to thank everyone who took the time to write their opinion, or story, they were all very helpful, and informative.
I was diagnosed with crohn's in 2006, and until recently have been suffering with a lot of pain associated with the disease. many people have said, there is no reason that we should have to suffer, when there is medication out there that could help so many of us have a more normal quality of life. Or should we be made to suffer because of the negativity surrounding theses medications. there is no denying that opiate based pain meds are addictive, and there is a very real possibility of people overdosing, but everything has risks. I've read so many posts about people being so afraid of becoming addicted, and i can relate, there was a time that i feared the same thing. The thing i came to realize though, is that there is no cure in sight. We all have a chronic disease, so for me at least, i stopped worrying about the addiction. every one of us is different though. Not everyone has chronic pain, and those of you who dont should be thanking whatever God you believe in. But for those of us who do, why in the hell should any of us be denied relief from that, why should we be denied a more normal quality of life? Because we may become addicted? seems they should be much more worried about handing out opiates to people with..idk lets say a broken bone, something that will get better. I suffered with extreme joint pain for years, and obviously abdominal pain. The joint pain was much worse though. I could only sleep after being awake for so long that i would just basically pass out from exhaustion, and nobody would help me. That was a terrible feeling, knowing that there was help out there, but nobody caring enough to do anything for me. Fortunately i did finally find a pain management doctor who was willing to see someone with crohn's, if I hadnt, im not sure how much longer i could have handled it before i just ended it myself. People who have no idea what its like, living with chronic pain look down on people who take narcotic pain meds, but to all you out there living with this disease, none of you should feel the slightest bit of shame for wanting to have the quality of life that they take for granted. My pain doc put me on 15mg oxycodone pills, and gives me 150 a month, which isnt as much as it sounds. It helps so much with the joint pain, and eliminates the abdominal pain. the side effect of constipation just evens me out. I usually only go once a day, and it has a normal consistency. To those of you out there that are on the fence about opiate therapy, I hope this helps. There is no reason you should have to live in pain, not when medication exists that can help you. If your doctor refuses, find a new one, or get a referral for a pain doctor. there is no reason to be afraid of being dependant when you have a chronic illness. Just dont become a addict, never let the pills run your life, never take more than you need to stop the pain, never try to use them to numb emotional pain, and always be honest with everyone about them. Nobody with our disease deserves to suffer, and i hope you all understand that. Getting this disease is bad enough, no need to add more misery to it. Best of luck to all of you. I hope to God im wrong, and someone cures this disease, but until then one day at a time.
08-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #293
misterquin

Not everyone has chronic pain, and those of you who dont should be thanking whatever God you believe in. But for those of us who do, why in the hell should any of us be denied relief from that, why should we be denied a more normal quality of life?
You have perfectly summed up my own perspective of using pain medication. Before Crohn's, I was the type to avoid all medications in general- also, I didn't really have a need for them. After developing Crohn's in '09 I decided that it made absolutely no sense to me, despite some people's opinions, that I should "deal" with the pain.

We have a life-long disease that causes chronic pain that at times becomes unbearable. There is a medication out there that can reduce pain associated with our disease and at times, even allow us to live a life somewhat like the life we had before. I never understood the "I'll deal with it" mentality and never will. We didn't "deserve" this disease and we surely don't "deserve" to live with pain for the rest of our lives.

Also, most people with Crohn's are taking all these different types of medications for their disease. Some weaken your immune system so it will be less likely to attack your digestive tract, or prednisone where it prevents your body from beginning that painful inflammatory process. None of these meds are treating Crohn's disease- they are treating the symptoms. All of the medications for Crohn's are mere pharmaceutical bandages. Pain medication is just one more that happens to treat one of the most debilitating symptoms- pain.

Don't feel guilty for not wanting to be in pain. We're human beings and deserve to live a life as fulfilling as anyone else. Unfortunately for us that involves a cocktail of medications. It's quite okay if at least one of those makes us feel good.

Diagnosed with Crohn's in 2009

Currently on: Prednisone (15mg), Azathioprine, Cimzia, Clonazepam, Florastor, Align

If you're interested in hearing my music heavily influenced by my battle with Crohn's, here's the site:

http://alexanderquin.bandcamp.com/album/suspension-2
09-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #294
Dixiedoll23

My Support Groups:
I have heavily thought about ordering my tramadol online as well. My situation has actually changed since that post. My GP has decided that she needs to watch my pain meds like a hawk....she will only give me one months supply at a time, and actually only gave me 2 weeks supply during my last visit to make sure I come back. She is giving me as little as possible, 150mg a day. She did add another pain med, codiene, for night time since tramadol causes insomnia for me, which I am grateful for, but I doubt she will let me stay on that for a long period of time. I mean, I would never up my tramadol to more than that a day unless I absolutely had to (so not an everyday thing), but I don't like stressing over the fact she keeps me on such a short leash like I'm a criminal.

I am in Germany, so I have no idea if it would be legal for me to order it online. I'm here with the U.S. Army, so I would probably have to follow U.S. Law somehow too. Whenever I mention it to my husband he jokingly says we should just order pred, not trams, and up my meds to get my pain down. >.< Obviously remission would be better than all these pain meds, if only the doctors would do more to try and get me there.
Tramadol can cause a bit of insomnia at first, but as your body adjusts to it, sleeping should get easier.Melotonin works great for me, as long as I don't take it every night.
These doctors treat tramadol like they are oxycontin or some other potent pain med, when really it's not even considered a narcotic at all.I think it's ludicrous really.
I know in some Countries they sell codeine over the counter.Is it like that in Germany?Codeine actually makes my stomach hurt worse.If I take something, it really has to be tylenol or ibuprofen free.I don't think we are suppose to have ibuprofen anyways, my GI said it can cause a flare or make a flare worse unless that is true only in my case.

My GP is willing to prescribe me Oxycontin and tramadol for BT pain.I'm glad he will, because I have yet to find a GI doctor that will help with crohns pain.I have seen 3 of them this year, and none of them would prescribe anything at all.They make it sound like you don't treat crohns with pain meds.One of the reason I like pain meds besides the obvious getting rid of pain is because they slow everything down.So instead of me going 20 times a day, I usually go around 3-7.

I hope everyone is having a good, pain-free day.
09-06-2012, 03:33 AM   #295
Jenny06xx

I have to add what's happened with me up until yesterday !

Ive been on a few pain meds for nearly a year now but others before that were weak like codeine phosphate .
My pain medicine cocktail as of now is
Dihydrocodeine 120 mg slow release 3x a day
Dihydrocodeine 30 mg instant release up to 8 a day
Tramadol 50 mg 2..4x a day

At first it was just the 2 dihyrocodeine meds at low doses but over the year I've been upped an then tramadol was added .
This was by my gp , I begged to see a pain specialist because I knew the doses I was given were pretty much overdoses an In my opinion I need to be switched to something better which I can take less of .
I was always told no you will have a massive prescription an we don't want that for you , which is fair enough I suppose but not when its clear I definately need some pain relief that works an he cannot help me himself .
So yesterday I returned as he requested to see if he would refer me .

His first sentence was ahhhhh I looked right back through your notes , an you have crohns right ? I replied yes , well then you are always going to have pain aren't you what do you expect me to do ?
I stated that I wanted / needed to have a referral to the pain specialist as I was struggling with my pain not just in my stomach but my back in two places upper and lower and my hip joints .
He said someone in my notes had suggested seeing a pain specialist before so he will make the referral but I have a choice , he makes the referral an then that's sorted or he gets me some x rays waits for the results a then refers me , so I said I want the referral now plus the xrays as I clearly need them .
He then changed things so I now go for xrays an Wait for the results then he will refer me whether there good or bad .
So that's another week or 2 to wait for the referral !!!!

At least I'm getting somewhere eventually I just hope he doesn't fob me off when I return for the results .
I'm fed up of being miserable an in pain I just want some relief so I can be normal ( ish)
An play with my kids etc
I also don't know what to expect from pain management specialists so can anyone advise me on what happened when they went or a friend etc
Thanks
Jen xx

Meds

Budesonide finished again !!
Pentasa 2g 2x a day
Pred 40mg
Ensure plus ( no longer needed)
Dihydrocodeine 120mg slow release 3 a day
Dihydrocodeine 30mg 2.. 4x day
Tramadol 50 mg 2 ...4x a day ( stopped coz it's not helping )

Waiting for fist appointment at pain clinc I hope it helps !
09-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #296
Dixiedoll23

My Support Groups:
Hi Jen,

I will share my experience dealing with a pain management specialist.
First, I will go over the positives.He sent me to some specialists, that no other doc wanted to do, and I am glad I finally got diagnosed with some of the things that were wrong like fibromyalgia, and arthritis.He was very good at being on top of things.

I have to say there are far more negatives in my situation than there were positives.
I was pretty much able to get whatever I wanted.This came with an awful price to pay.I started off on a 5mg oxycodone IR, and within the year, I was on a 100 mcg Fentanyl patch and 6 15 mg oxycodone IR's a day!I ended up losing my insurance, so the only option I had was to get off everything and it was complete hell.
I had to sign a pain contract, saying at any time they call me, I would have to come in with my meds to do a count.This was very inconvenient, because it was a 45 minute drive one way.One time I was short on some pain meds, so then he sent me to an addiction specialist.He also made me see him once a week.Everything was just a huge inconvenience, and I never should have been on that much medicine in the first place.

I love my new primary doctor now.He prescribes me oxycontin 30 mg ER twice a day, and I am also on tramadol.He is very understanding and I don't have to go through the BS hassle of the PM doctor.I hated it.

This has been my experience anyway.
09-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #297
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

I'd avoid the highly addictive opiates in favor of cannabis. Our bodies quickly become tolerant to opiates and opiate addiction is as big a cross to bare as crohns. I know from personal experience. If you absolutely need them and your primary care physician is a scaredy cat, find a pain management clinic. Crohns is no joke and you should not be made to feel like you are a junkie drug seeker for trying to manage your pain. Again, cannabis will alleviate most people's pain as good or better than tramadol or vicodin, and anything stronger is highly addictive.
09-08-2012, 06:31 AM   #298
ECU_Drummer

Tramadol helped me with my pain, but I will never take it again. EVER. My body became dependent on it. I recently had to go on antibiotics for about a week for a minor infection and they exacerbated my flare temporarily. I had to take more tramadol to account for the pain. I was originally ordered to take 3 50mg/day as needed but was taking 4-5 depending on how I felt. I ran out of my script early and cannot have them refilled until 9/14. It has been 72 hours exactly since my last dose of tramadol and I plan on not taking it ever again. The withdrawal symptoms are hellish- flu like symptoms, temp changes and a feeling of your skin crawling. They have toned way down since yesterday morning and I think I'm on the other side now (thank god). I hate the feeling of having a dose run your life. I was constantly worried about when I would take my next dose of tramadol. I feel that way to an extent with my dicyclomine, but I'm ok with that since its not an opiate like tramadol. I felt so ashamed going through the withdrawal symptoms, I felt like I was some sort of junkie. In the end, I'd rather deal with the pain of crohns and learn how to properly manage it rather than rely on some pain killer that can do me more harm than good.

If I was told tramadol could be addictive and cause withdrawal symptoms when coming off of it, I would have never taken it.

Check out my blog! http://blastoffcrohns.blogspot.com/

ECU class of 2012, Business Administration
"The door will open when we realize we don't hold the key" -Memphis May Fire

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." -Romans 8:28
09-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #299
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

Tramadol sucks. A good cannabis Indica has more analgesic properties than tramadol or vicodin and stimulates appetite while suppressing nausea and inducing a sense of well being. Things anyone with IBD can use.
09-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #300
Jenny06xx

If you withdrawals are still bad ecu drummer anything opiate based will ease the widrawals an let u come off more slowly .
I see your in america so I have no idea what's over the counter there but I thought tramadol was over there.
The thing with me is I've taken more of my tablets for legitamate pain an so I end up too early for my script as you do but I told my gp this was what was happening an he still wouldnt refer me to the pain clinc ( he's going to now coz I kicked off lol)
He said you have crohns right ? I said yes an then he replied well your always going to be in pain so what do you expect me to do ?
What a twat so I should just put up with the pain until I end up in hospital each time !
Hes going to refer me when my xray results are back good or bad thank god
He says he hates dihydrocodeine an it should be taken off the Market , that's what I'm up against !
So I get penalised because he hates the stuff that somewhat relieves my pain !
I'm due my script this week but he added up the days wrong an put tablets not due till 18 th don't give early !
So I'm gonna look like a druggie if I try an get them on the date there actually due which is a whole week before the date he put down idiot.
I'm hoping the pain specialist will help me by changing my tablets and referring me to whoever I need to c , I just hope they don't think I'm an addict I'm dependant yes but not an addict !!
Can anyone else put up there story of the pain clinc ?
Jen xx

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Pain medication and addiction in Crohn's Disease