• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hollister New Image vs Coloplast(I don't know the name)

I got a sample of the Hollister New Image pouch and convex flange. I must say that the pouch is really awesome. It was super light and I barely would realize it's there. The one problem with the pouch is that the first day or two it's a little hard to open it, I like the clamp style and I probably should have cut a small diamond pattern in one side so I could get a finger under the edge. The problem is the edges are together so you have to work it a little to get your finger under there. It's a very small problem and in hindsight very easy to fix.

The convex flange worked well enough but there were things I didn't like. Since it's got the edge where you can attach the bag and put your finger underneath it creates a type of floating surface which at times can make the bag feel as if it's moving away from you. This made my confidence in the flange much lower as I kept feeling it was falling off due to the way it was made. I also was nervous do to the cloth material the flange was made of. It felt like it was slipping and sliding after a shower. I was never confident that the tape would stay tacky.

Now onto the Coloplast bag. I really like this bag. It's also very light. What I don't like is my own fault, I asked for a sample of the opaque bags so I can't see anything and right now that's a bit of a problem as I'm wanting to see around my stoma. I really like how the bag attaches to the flange though and locks into place as I feel very secure with it on. I'm not sure the model I'm trying but it's got the soft fabric covering the entire bag which is nice as it makes hardly any noise but then again I can't see what my stoma is doing which sucks. I also wish the bag was larger as I feel the need to empty it more often.

The Coloplast convex flange is not my favorite. I like parts of it and absolutely despise other parts of it. I really like the convexity it has. It's the semi-convex flange and it felt real easy to go on and in that sense I'm confident I won't have a leak. I also like how it's plastic-like as I feel more confident that my appliance won't fall off when I'm in the shower. Now onto the bad things. I don't like how large the bag attachment ring is. The thing is huge compared to Hollister's which makes me really nervous sometimes. I also don't like the plasticity of it because it's such a thick plastic, especially on the edges, that it doesn't want to stay on my skin. I've only had it on a day and an edge already pealed up while I was sitting down. This should not happen. Maybe I need to try it in other positions but it should not just peal off the skin. It's only in the area of my belly button and I cleaned the area and dried it thoroughly. This is the huge downfall of this flange for me because the center part sticks really well it's just the outer part that does not want to stick. I don't like having to constantly use tape to tape down corners. I don't like how it doesn't want to form to m body but instead the flange makes my body form to it. It is not uncomfortable though but it makes me loose confidence in it.

Conclusion:
Honestly, it's inconclusive for me. I love both bags very much as they are both very comfortable as well as very light and I like that. I do like the clamping style of Hollister but the Coloplast people did not offer me that in a sample so I'm not sure what they have. For flanges, I believe both are at the opposite ends of extreme. One has too much cloth which is it's fatal flaw as it feels like it wants to slosh off at the end of every shower. The other is so plastic-like and hard that it doesn't want to mold to the skin. So I'm at a crossroads here at where to go to next.

If you guys can give me suggestions on a flange style that may work better for me please let me know. I have confidence that Coloplast would work well in exercise and swimming applications yet during every day life Hollister is much nicer. So, yeah I'm very confused at the moment. Thanks for reading if you've read the whole thing.

Jeff

Can I get some advice, maybe I'm not placing the Coloplast flange on in the best way. I put it horizontally across my stomach. If I could get some suggestions on other products or products that may help me or different ways to place things then I'd be most grateful. Thanks

Sue, I hope my review of the New Image stuff was helpful. When you get your stuff can you put up your review. Thanks

hi Jeff... i know what a pain it is, trying to find the right appliance or mix/match of products so you get all the things you're looking for ie confidence, rustle-free, lightness etc etc.. i'm still experimenting too!

which of these are you actually using? http://www.elitemedical.com/newimage.html

the Hollister product i am trying right now is this - http://www.elitemedical.com/hl7952.html - it is just the middle circular bit, not the square flange, and i'm not doing that well on it. the compostion of the ring is weird.. it's like hard karaya paste, difficult to mould & stretch for a snug fit around the stoma, and once it's on, it begins to swell & change shape so that after around 24 hours it actually restricts my stoma.... plus it doesn't adhere very well to the microskin of the bags i'm using.. so i'm back to the drawing board.

i've looked at the new image range - it looks quite interesting. i might send off for a sample & see how i go with it. it actually mentions on the site the 'floating' aspect - so i guess this is just a sensation you'd probably get used to, as long as it's not actually as insecure as it feels.

regarding the coloplast one - i have had the same issue with the rigid circles on various ones i've tried, as soon as i sit or bend, the seal pops open and i end up having to apply loads of tape.

Jeff, one thing you could do is ask your stoma nurse to keep you informed of any suppliers' open days - these events are great for mooching around the various stalls and seeing what's available. it's better than looking on websites because you can actually touch and feel the products, & get real idea of whether they're what you're looking for.

Awesome, thanks. I'm calling my ostomy nurse tomorrow so that should work. Thank you for letting me know open days. I love mooching anyways so it works out.haha

Well, this just proves that everyone's skin is so different. You said the Hollister flange was slipping and sliding after a shower. For me, I can barely remove the fabric even in the shower. I started using adhesive remover on the fabric on change day to get it started.

One thing I use that I'm not sure you have tried is the Convatec Stomahesive powder. I did write previously that the one time I did not use it, my flange started peeling. I shake it on and rub it around and then off. It has a super dry feeling. Maybe that does help with getting the flange material to stick.

When I tried a Convatec sample flange a while back, it did the slip and slide on me. I felt the adhesive melting after a bath. It was slimy and coating my skin. It did re-adhere once it dried. Once that happened, I immediately crossed it off my list.

I also tried Coloplast and it worked fine, but I just did not like the filter. It was blown up tight and hard when I woke up. I hate that feeling.

For me, the Hollister pouch / filter is working the best overall. Usually the pouch is not blown up in the morning, but that has happened a couple of times too.

I like the Hollister Lock and Roll. But, I can see it would be hard to open if your fingernail was too short. One tip I learned is too open the drain and pre-crease the plastic in the open position. It makes it easy to open next time when draining. Another tip I read is to cut off the little strip of extra plastic at the very end of the opening.

hey jeff,
i have tried everything under the sun. i love the hollister new image flexwear line i use now. i prep my skin with powder first and then use the cavilon spray to protect my skin. i swim and do yoga ALL th time and i am doing just fine. i think the first year post colostomy or ileostomy is te hardest. i had a few awful times out for the night at the bar with friends and having to rush home cause it was leaking but as my colostomy is looped and drains out the side i think that was the main issue.

once i started cutting the opening a little bigger the stool wasn't being forced under the flange. hope this helps a bit. let me know if you have more questions.

susan

Susan, that helps me a lot. I also have a loop ileostomy and my last switch I cut the opening a bit larger so the stool wouldn't get under the flange and I think it may have helped but I can't see because I have a locking opaque bag on so I can't see what's going on inside. I think I'm going to ask for samples from a few other companies but I'll make sure to get the clear ones so I know what's going on inside of there. I always thought I'd like the opaque bags but now I only like the clear ones. I think I may have some weird sweat composition or something because whenever I've used the powder I've had more leakages.

have you tried the spray?
the locking ones you are talking about is it a one piece or a two piece? if it's a two piece just stand over the toilet and take the pouch off and check things out. the loop is tricky cause most people empty right out the front which makes things easier. the et nurse had me cutting the opening really big in the beginning and the powder and spray were to protect the surrounding skin. when it gets irritated and raw it hurts and gets really itchy, which SUCKS let me tell ya.

i always like the opaque cause i didn't want to see my shit all the time, ya know? in the beginning i was really anal about cleaning the bag all the tie, rinsing it out and washing it but that stopped. became a pain.

i found the coloplast ones i tried always came off cause the flange part was such a hard plastic that every time i twisted or moved it came loose. the hollister stuck well for the most part. and i am a frequent tub user.

susan

Yeah Susan, it's a two pieace coloplast that I'm using. I'm changing it tonight so I won't worry about checking it. I haven't used any spray yet, are you talking about the spray on glue? I'm thinking about checking that stuff out next time.

I am a fan of the convatec auto lock. I have used the conoplast and found it did not hold well to the skin and started pealing after two days. They also recommend not using any adhesive spray, like convatec does. I recently have become a member of Edge Park medical supplies and they sent me some new holister adhesive spray. I am not sure what is in this product but it works amazing for me. I just spray some on and rub it around with a gloved finger in the area where the wafer goes. As soon as it the wafer touches it "STUCK". I have not had an issues with pealing around the edges at all. I have to use the adhesive remover to get off the wafer 4 days later.

I also had a problem with the colonplasty bag was the velco closure on the bottom. For me it made more of a mess then the clamp. Not sure if it is because of the ileostomy or not, but did not work for me.

Jeff I know I recommended the ostmy armor (www.ostomyarmor.com) and I have to admit this is one of the best products I have seen. Holds the bag and flange of the wafer tight on skin, and allows the stoma to drain easy. It is very comfortable to wear, I wear mine about 16 hours a day. At night I go to normal convatec belt. The only thing I found with the ostomy armor is you need to wear a t-shirt between the armor and your bag, so you sweat does not irritate the skin. I also noticed it cuts down on the gas noise, which was an added plus. You can either empty withnthe device on or remove it with one simple snap and pop the whole bag off and put a new one on.

I am also going to try the new liners from http://www.colostomymajic.com which some one just showed me. Looking at then sire might be nice and quicker to change. I always carry and extra bag everywhere I go, as well as other supplies. So I will preload the spare bag so just a quick switch and done. Pull the liner out drop it in and flush away, as long as you do NOT have a septic. We shall see how this works out, will let you know.

There are so many products out there and you just have to find what works for you and your lifestyle. Decussions like this helps out everyone thou, gives some personal experience - thank you.

Thanks for all the help semicolon. I may have to try that glue when I go purchase my next set of supplies.

I would love to try the ostomyarmor but I just don't have the money right now. I'm hoping to be able sell one of my bikes soon and to get a job so maybe then I can get it but right now I have I only have 100$ to my name so getting that isn't really an option when I have to buy a mic at the moment for an upcoming gig and then there is always food and such that I need to get so I'm really hoping I'll continue to feel better in the next week or so and then I can get a job to get some stuff.

I won't be able to use the liners as I do have a septic tank. I absolutely hate septic tanks!!!

I'm going to continue this thread when I get my other appliances. I'm going to try the convatec next. Speaking of convatec, how is it adhered to the skin. Is it closer to hollister with the cloth or is it more like coloplast with the plastic.

Thanks so much guys and I hope this helps out others who are new to the ostomy.

it has some round area that I am not sure what it is, some sort of harder materia (like the holister) and it moldes with your body heat around your stoma. I put a bead of stoma paste around the hole, just for added security. Around that surface is a 4 x 4 square tape like material. The spray glue definately helps me, in my opion holister much better then the convatec. The only thing I do not like is how the holister sprays out, you need to rub in around. Where the convatec seems to spray better, but NOT nearly as sticky or bounds as well with the wafer

I also have a spetic, which I agree sucks. When I am out thou, hoping this will make it quicker and easier for me.

Last edited:
Thanks man. Maybe I just need to figure out a way to make sure I feel comfortable getting my Hollister wet. I must say that the convex wafer helped a lot. Now I have a ton of flat wafers but I think that's good so I can use in case of emergency. I do think I need to get a bigger size though and that may help a bit. I thought I was 22mm but I'm really 23-24mm vertically but it's more like 26-27mm horizontally depending on the day. So I may see if I can go up to a 27 or 29 just to have room to cut as I don't want to weaken the convexity.

i'm also accumulating a massive collection of bags & wafers! lol. think i'll try & find somewhere to donate them to..

just to update on the microskin topic which i've mentioned in here before - i rang the manufacturer yesterday & told them of my problem ie: that i love the bag, love the microskin, and but that i can't get a satisfactory adhesion immediately around the stoma. the lady recommended i move to the 2-piece microskin system, which comes in a smaller size (15mm), because my stomie is only a little one & smaller than the precut one piece apperture. so i'm just waiting for the new samples to arrive - i'm quite excited, & hoping this is the one i can stay with.

Semicolon- thanks for suggesting the spray- I just bought it. I really hope it works as I am tired of having to leave work when my bag leaks or comes off. What a nightmare. I'm glad we can all help each other out on here!

OK have to ask if anyone uses a company to order your supplies from. I was recommended to this company called "EDGE PARK". I have had nothing but problems with them. Took them 5 times to send me the proper items - this was after speaking to a "Supervisor". I can NOT believe how this company is still in business. I just used the ONLY adhesive removers I had, which were the ones they suggested and sent. I am pretty sure there was more skin on my wafer then what I left on my BODY. The 1st box ALL the packages were all dry, and the second I got maybe a 1/2 inch then needed another one. NOT lying when I say I had to use 15 to remove a wafer. They open at 0830 and I plan to be the 1st one to call. I am sure this call as well as my other ones will be used for training purposes - NOT good one either. "So how would someone deal with this angry asshole". My response would be well if my asshole was not on the side of my belly I would NOT need you asshole. Do they realize we NEED these products and they need to work. OK done VENTING, but need help to FINDING another company, anyone know of some competent ones, please LET me know.

THANKS

PS - In case you can NOT tell I do not RECOMMEND EDGE PARK TO ANYONE !!!!!!

OK have to ask if anyone uses a company to order your supplies from. I was recommended to this company called "EDGE PARK". I have had nothing but problems with them. Took them 5 times to send me the proper items - this was after speaking to a "Supervisor". I can NOT believe how this company is still in business. I just used the ONLY adhesive removers I had, which were the ones they suggested and sent. I am pretty sure there was more skin on my wafer then what I left on my BODY. The 1st box ALL the packages were all dry, and the second I got maybe a 1/2 inch then needed another one. NOT lying when I say I had to use 15 to remove a wafer. They open at 0830 and I plan to be the 1st one to call. I am sure this call as well as my other ones will be used for training purposes - NOT good one either. "So how would someone deal with this angry asshole". My response would be well if my asshole was not on the side of my belly I would NOT need you asshole. Do they realize we NEED these products and they need to work. OK done VENTING, but need help to FINDING another company, anyone know of some competent ones, please LET me know.

THANKS

Try Sterning Medical Services -

I use a company but I don't know what they are called. They have been great though. I'm sorry you are having to go through so much trouble with them.

:)hey jeff, have you tried Convatec by chance? they offer free samples of their many lines and they have a wound care ET RN on staff that you can talk to during the day. I plan to switch back to them as Hollister isn't really working for me. I'm only wearing Hollister now because the hospitals here have a contract w/them & that is what I was stuck w/after my last surgery. BUMMER.

Here is the toll free number: 1-800-422-8811. I do know that they open at 8:30 am and stay late during the week until around 8 pm on certain days. Their customer service is AWSOME and 99.9% of the ostomy support group members are Convatec wearers. I plan to call for samples by giving them the Hollister part # and they can convert it for me. For some reason, I'm only getting like 1-2 days wear time instead of 3-4. Not a good thing if you ask me. Hope this helps. Take care. God bless.

BTW, you can ask the Convatec rep where you can buy their products in Alabama near you and they'll send you a list!!! They are the friendliest company I've ever dealt w/ in my entire life as a crohnie. When I was the ostomy president, I've dealt with a few ostomy product companies, had insurance companies come to speak (that was a joke--they had no clue what a bag was or what we deal with), medical students sit in and ask us questions--that was really fun, and had student nurses give presentations for their senior projects before graduating. We weren't easy on them either--they had to know what they were talking about AND they had to pick a topic that was new and something we could learn about. I mean, they were going to go out into the work force and if they were going to be touching an ostomy, they better know what they are doing right??? lol

Yep, we love our RNS!!! rof :)

Thanks Lisa, I was going to call them today but I forgot. Tomorrow I'm going to call them first thing because I'm not really comfortable with anything right now. I'm like you changing every two days instead of every four or five. One of my problems is turtle-necking. It doesn't matter how close or how far away from my stoma but after a day or so I begin to get turtle-necking and it's a bit annoying. Take care. God bless

Nyx

THANKS

Wow...I guess I'm lucky...I just go down to my local drug store and they have ostomy supplies (they're in the back, but they're all there). Just found out they carry my liners too!!!! After I went and ordered by mail....My local Shoppers Drug Mart have a special section in the back for everything from ostomy supplies to wheel chairs and wound care. It's really convenient. I think it's a bit more expensive than ordering online or by mail, but it's worth it for the convenience. They also have me on file so that they always have my supplies in stock. I love it :)

Recently used the liners and "LOVED" them. Thank I Cindy for the very useful information. I use these everyday while at work, makes it so much easier. I carry two bags with me, one on my stoma and the other pre-loaded with another liner. This allows for a quick change with less of a mess. The only thing I wish is u could use them in septic tanks. Again this product is worth the price.

I'm glad you like the liners semi. Having a septic tank just stinks. Anyways, I wanted to say that I talked to the wonderful people at convatec and they are sending me some samples right now. Thanks for the advice on them I can't wait to try them and I'll write a review when I get them. I"m excited because they are sending me the moldable kind.haha

Hope they work for you. You have been throught enough shit (could not resist - LMPO). I was shocked on the amount of the samples they sent me, plus also a little portable bag to keep your supplies in. They have always been pleasant and will give you follow up calls. Hope you can find one that works well for you.

UPDATE on the Ostomy Armor - I have been using this product everyday for about two weeks and the ONLY thing I found that does not work well for me is the extra padding on the back. This is an option when you order it. It is supposed to add comfort, which I am sure it does, BUT can be a pain. Since I wear a uniform daily it has a high waist and I can not get my pants and think belt (2 inches) over the cushion, so my pants slide down. I am sure it is personal preference, but I have ordered without the cushion and this should prevent this. If it works I will be removing the cushion off of the other one. It is also cheaper without the cushion - $85.00. Will let you know if that one works better for me.

So I got my Convatec products and I tried one appliance so far. It is really wonderful it seems. I feel a little more trusting of it than the other products I've tried. I have the moldable flange and wow that's really cool. I put a bit of paste on it but not as much as I usually do. I love the click style of putting the pouch on as well. I'm using the convex kind and it feels very secure. The tape also feels more breathable yet more stable on my body. The only thing I wished I asked for was a clamp style rather than the velcro style as I'm not a big fan of that.

I'll update in a few days as to how I like it then.

I received samples from 2 companies : Hollister and Convatec. Hollister - "Fresh Start" customer service were very nice and well informed WOC nurse. Their pouch is very light and I have been using their system since the hospital and had no problems. I like the clamp better because the velcro closure get messy and after two times I dont feel secure with it. The New Image bag with the filter, I wish they made it easier to separate the drain, so I did it myself by cutting a notch. Also I dont think the filters work at night once they get wet.
I will try the products from Convatec but te appliance hole size is too big so they need to send me a smaller size.

Yeah, I had the same problem with the New Image pouch. The Convatec has lasted me the night so far with stool getting on it and it's still going well. I can't say the same for Hollister. Definitely ask them for a smaller size.

I HATE the velco, to hard to empty and attempt to keep the bag or yourself clean. The best clamps I found so far are the holister curved clamps.

Jeff, happy you found something that is working for you, can be difficult sometimes.

ACG - I found the filters worked great at night, never woke up with the gas I do in my bag now. I have changed to the auto lock, which is convatec's new bag, which I can not understand why they did not put the filter in this one.

I HATE the velco, to hard to empty and attempt to keep the bag or yourself clean. The best clamps I found so far are the holister curved clamps.

Jeff, happy you found something that is working for you, can be difficult sometimes.

ACG - I found the filters worked great at night, never woke up with the gas I do in my bag now. I have changed to the auto lock, which is convatec's new bag, which I can not understand why they did not put the filter in this one.
@ Semi - I totally agree about the velcro - its hard to clean and I like the hollister clamp. Which filters are you using at night?
Did you call Sterling Medical Services?

I currently am not using filters at night. I trying to give myself 4 hours between my last oral intake and bed. I then empty right before I go to bed. I tend to only sleep 6 hours a night and wear the convatec white belt to hold the bag in place (little added protection with the auto-lock device).

I learned from the 1st time around - DO NOT eat a whole jar of pickles and then go to bed. PROMISE you will awake with a hot air balloon on your belly.

I did not call them yet, but plan to since my order was shipped that day. The ONLY thing that they said was insurance would NOT cover was the adhesive remover. ARE YOU KIDDING me????? I will be calling my insurance this week and speak to them. If they still say no I am going to duck tape their ass together and yank it off and see if they understand how important it is to us to have this product.

I really like the convatec but I have run into a problem. I have a filter on the bag I'm trying out and it got saturated by my wet output. Now it soaked into the charcoal. It's damp to the touch as well. I'm not a fan of this at all. Is there any way to keep the charcoal from getting wet from the stool. I have had D today and last night because my mom messed up and put diced onions into my pasta without realizing it. So I haven't had a blockage but it's been a bit tough on my stomach and I can definitely feel it coming out as I have a nice tense feeling in my abdomen. Other than the charcoal I love the convatec appliance. It's by far the most comfortable, I don't like that they sent me the snap together kind instead of the clamp, I also love the hollister clamp. I think those two complaints are very minor compared to my past appliances. Coloplast called me today and told me that I put their appliance on wrong by not warming it under my armpit. I told them I'll try it but I have a feeling that appliance will just be a throw away. If I can make the appliance I'm using now work until Tuesday then I will put the Coloplast on for my scopes on Wednesday, yes I am having multiple scopes.haha

I did not call them yet, but plan to since my order was shipped that day. The ONLY thing that they said was insurance would NOT cover was the adhesive remover. ARE YOU KIDDING me????? I will be calling my insurance this week and speak to them. If they still say no I am going to duck tape their ass together and yank it off and see if they understand how important it is to us to have this product.[/QUOTE]

@ Semi - The way I handle this situation regarding adhesive removal or M9 drops I ask them to call my Dr and get a prescription and it works 100% of the time.

I now have samples from the 3 companies and will try them and follow your inputs. I have no problem with the Hollister but would like to see whats out there. My Hollister filter does not work and I get up with a baloon. I am not sure if I need to do something to 'activate' the filter?

Same here Dan, it seems that nothing I try works and the filter ends up getting all soaked with stool. I have learned one secret and that's to eat yogurt before bed. I have only tried it once, last night, but I had no gas and that's highly unusual.

I'm going to bump this up so you guys can see this because I'm desperately searching for an answer. I love the convatec flange and I like the bag except for the stupid saturated filter.

Nyx

Try the liners Jeff...all the stools goes in there, and doesn't 'infect' the filter...they're expensive, but well worth it. If you don't want to fork out the money to try them, I'll send you some to try (I only have over a thousand of them now...yes, greedy...lol).

I wish I could use the liners but I have a septic tank and I don't go out much. The filter was fine until I put on the ostomysecrets wrap. The output just stays bubbled at the top there which ends up not working to well with the filter. ): I do need the wrap though because I don't like going out feeling like my bag is flopping all over.

Last edited:

Nyx

Hmmmm....I try not to wear those things unless I'm going out. I find that gravity is my friend!!! And even then, I just wear spandex shorts under my clothes. Or tight-ish fitting pants to keep my bag in place. I also find that if I keep Oscar squished down, he doesn't release any output till I take the pressure off...lol

Nyx

Re: septic tanks....I used the liners when I went camping and it wasn't an issue. What do you use in your tank to break down toilet paper etc? When I lived in the country we used to put a chemical in the toilet to help with that (especially since I use tampons). Might be something to look into.

Yeah, I usually have it on but I don't have it cover my bag until I go out the house. Then I put it on and things get tricky.

We aren't allowed to put anything in our septic tanks because it kills the bacteria that breaks down everything and can cause problems to the actual tank or so I am told.

@ Jeff - Have you tried the underware with the pocket? it keeps the bag from swinging around without applying pressure that might push stuff upwards. It doesnt resolve the annoying filter problem which also happens with the Hollister.

@ Cindy - would the liner work for Ileostomy? Do you re-insert a new liner after you discard the old one? is it messy?

Thanks Dan. I haven't been able to try the underwear because I couldn't afford it. I think soon I'll have to try the ostomyarmor and put that on before I put on the wrap.

Dan - I use the liner everyday with an ileostomy. They work very well, the only thing I do is preload another bag with a liner so I can do a quick switch since mine never seems to stop.

One trick I found is when I remove the dirty liner from the other bag I throw it away and then take some toilet paper and dry the inside of the bag. THERE is no stool, just some moister. Once it is dry I reload it with a liner and fold the bag, then it is ready for next time. This product makes life so much easier, quicker, and less mess. I would recommend you try them, think once you use them you will be hooked.

Cindy - Great idea about using the liner to keep the filters dry.

Jeff - I have a septic and what I do is when I have a liner in and needs to be emptied I take it out of my pouch and with a razor cut the bottom of the liner and drain it. I then take the liner and place it in a glove and tie a knot so it will no give off any odor.

I have to tell you a funny story about emptying the bag: Last week I went to a post surgery visit with my surgeon. Before I went in, I stopped by the bathroom to empty the bag. I lifted the toilet seat and set up the few toilet papers on the side and bottom to prevent slash and... as I was taking the clamp off - the toilet flushed my set-up - I did not realize the toilet had an auto-flush. and tried again and it flushed again - I was lost for a minute and smiled to myself thinking a candid camera moment.
the end of the story , I figured out that if I put a piece of toilet paper on the electric eye it wont auto flush.
Next time I will have a liner
How long did it take to get the liner? can you please forward the website

You need to call them to place the order. They DO NOT accept credit cards, so you will need to send them a check. I scanned a copy of the check and emailed it to him and he sent them right out. Took 4 days from Canada to CT. I only ordered one box and with air shipping it was $73.00. In one box you will get 300 liners and a pin. You need to use the pin to put gas relief holes in the liners. They are really well designed and help you save money. Since I use the liners I have used the same bags (two one on and the other loaded for a week & sure they will last another one).

The one thing I do is at night I spray the outside of the pouches with frabreeze, so there is no chance for any order.

http://www.colostomymajic.com/index.html

Let me know is you have any questions, also let them know you heard about them though this forum.

Nyx

Good tip about the febreze semicolon....I'm going to try that. And I've been using the same bags for a month now without any problems. I just clean them out with soap to get rid of any odour. I use a clean bag every day and have 2 on my drying rack for future use.

If you guys want I can take a pic of a shelf that I designed. It holds all the needed products and supplies and hads a built in area to dry three bags. I hung it right behind my toliet and works well.

I can also show how I connected a sprayer to my toliet to spray out my bags and keep them clean.

A complete workstation, LMPO

If you guys want I can take a pic of a shelf that I designed. It holds all the needed products and supplies and hads a built in area to dry three bags. I hung it right behind my toliet and works well.

I can also show how I connected a sprayer to my toliet to spray out my bags and keep them clean.

A complete workstation, LMPO
Yes, I would love to see the picture.

The Pics

Here are some of the pics of the shelf and sprayer

Pic 1 - Shows how I have a box made for a normal sink sprayer. I have removed the cover on the box to show the valve. This valve controls the water pressure, since mine is very high.

Pic 2 - shows the shelf with all my supplies. Nice to have all these right in front of you as you are dealing with your device,

Pic 3 - I have pulled off the 1st bag to show you how it hangs on a wood dowel and then drains on a towel (red thing in the bottom).

Pic 4 - How the whole thing looks - you can put a door or curtain on it to cover the items. If you put doors on it, I would suggest vents so the pouches may dry. Since this is in my master bathroom no one sees it.

Pic 5 - A "T" connection to supply the sprayer with the water.

Overall measurements of the shelf are -
Height - 3 feet
Length - 2 feet
Depth - 7 1/2 inches
Top Shelf Height - 8 1/4 inches
Middle Shelf Height - 11 1/2 inches
Bottom Pouch Area Height - 13 inches ( with a 2 1/2 inch board in the front for strength and to cover the towel area)

Painted with Oil Base for easier cleaning

Any questions let me know.

Attachments

hi Semi - I ordered the disposable bags and I LOVE them. very easy to use, and I am using your method of having another pouch loaded. I found out that I have to make sure it clicks closed .
Thanks so much for sharing this information.

welcome - anything I can do to help. I also found out about the click. ALSO make sure you have enough of the liner hanging out, NOT good when you do not, LOL. Lets get say shower and washer machine, NO SHIT

I can't remember if I updated on my thoughts on convatec's moldable flange and bag. The flange is awesome! It works great and feels great. I don't get any pains at all from it like I did with the others as I felt they were cutting into my stoma or something. The convatec doesn't do that at all. The tape can get wet without feeling like it's going to fall off. I got samples of the non-filter bags and they are awesome! I actually like their non-clip bags as they reach into the toilet nicely. My problem with these shouldn't be a problem but if you don't fold the tab in the back lining then it sometimes pokes you.

My overall: I'm switching to convatec and have already placed my order with them. It's the best appliance for me and I can't wait until I can really test them while exercising.

Nyx

welcome - anything I can do to help. I also found out about the click. ALSO make sure you have enough of the liner hanging out, NOT good when you do not, LOL. Lets get say shower and washer machine, NO SHIT
hee hee..I learned right away to put the liner between the locking mechanism and the opening of my bag right away....no slippage and the liner is always hanging out that way :)

thanks Jeff - I am still trying to resolve the skin irritation from my leak last week. it is so annoying.
I have samples from all companies and once my irritation goes away I will try them all

Sorry to hear about the leak man. I hope it gets resolved soon. I really can't say enough how much I really do love this product. This is honestly the first appliance I actually had to change the bag and only the bag rather than both at the same time. I've never had to do this before and I honestly didn't have to change the bag but it was getting pretty grimy looking and I didn't feel like cleaning it out or anything.

I've also learned that I use a very large syringe and fill it with water prior to emptying my bag and it keeps my bag cleaner much longer. It's as if I'm cleaning the bag without taking it off and really does a good job.

ok, so i have gotten my new ostomy armor product. I ordered one without the back pain, due to having a concern with my pants. I would either have to pull then up over the pad or leave them below the pad "yo sup". The one without the pad is cheaper and better. The only thing I had to do was put some elestic around the band to make is not so slippy on the shirt. Think it cost me like 1.50 in material and a sewing machine. LOVE this product and helps to seal the waffer on the body when you do a change, which is also a plus. If you have any questions let me know

Wondering how a stoma is made? After doing some research I found this video, it is sort of long but interesting. It is NOT for the WEAK at heart, but does show the process of removing the colon and rectum, then placing a ileostomy. This is a real surgery performed on a ederly female with colon CA.

Here is the video -
http://www.orlive.com/ethiconendo-s...s-colon-and-rectal-cancer?view=displayPageNLM

if that does not work here is how to get to it

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/surgeryvideos.html

Then scroll down under the Digestive System heading...then click on Total Proctocolectomy for Synchronous Colon and Rectal Cancer

I started using convatec and I really like the moldable flange. I can keep it on for 4 to 5 days and probably more but I chose to let my skin breath and get clean. I dont like the filter which I found useless. I am using the bag with clips from Hollister. The non-clip bags, the velco gets messy. I would like to try their small bag for sports and swimming but cant get a sample ... I have tried 3 times but they dont follow up.

I agree convatec is the way to go, I found the same concerns with the velco. Found the clamp to be much more simple and less messy. I find that I can only get three days out of a wafer, then I start to itch. One thing I do now is right the day on the wafer, so I can remember when I changed it.

I have also order another belt to keep the device on and protect the stoma. I have ordered this one, since it lets you fold up the bag, when the situation requires it. Seems to be nice, but will let you know more when I get it.

Hi Semi - thank you for the great idea to write the date on the flange as I always forget what day I put it on and I change when its stating to itch. Does the turtle- neck on Convatec bothers your stoma at all?
Looking forward to hearing about the new belt.

I have been using on and off the liners and have few mishaps getting myself all messed up.

I have been using a bottle of water to rinse my bag at it works great! and not only it feels better but also extends the life of the bag.

you know what someone suggested instead of a bottle of water? It is a good idea they carry a mustard bottle, since the nozzle increases the pressure and will allow you to clean the top of the device. I am sure thou you can find another type of bottlle with a nozzle. Think you might get some weird looks walking into a stall with a French's bottle or asking someone, do you have any gray popun LMPO

I like the liners, but have stopped using them since I have a septic tank at home it is more of a pain then a plus.

When I am out I normally just sit back on the seat, put some paper in the water and drain the bag that way. Then I take another piece of paper and force what ever is left in the end, I then make a little triangle with the paper and clean any liquid left in the end. Reclamp and OUT the door.

I do still use the liners when I going to places I do not want to sit on the seat, we have all been in these places.

Yes after three days I tend to get turtling, but the paste helps keep it under control.

Any other questions let me know, not shy about this and rather help someone from my experiences

Last edited:
hi semi - I am using a sports water bottle with a nozzle which works great unless its 4am and you are half asleep lol lol. I ordered the hollister glue and will try your method... thanks!

Ok, am I the only one that ever have a clamp fail - just a little pressure on the release and we all know what happens. I have tried to find a clamp with a double lock without luck so I am designing one.

Ok - here is my 1st design with some materials I had around the house.

Drilled a hole to allow a small threaded knurl knob I had. Since it was plastic it allowed it to be threaded right in. It goes in from the front to the back and does not allow the released to be depressed. If for some reason the release does get depressed it will NOT allow the center of the clamp to pull out.

To use it all you do is simply unscrew the knob so it is not in the path of the release - you DO NOT need to completely remove the knob for the clamp to properly work.

Once you are done redo the clamp and re-screw in the knob and SECRURE you are.

Few things I can see as a concern in design "one" are -

Metal knob will rust if worn in the shower (will use a normal clamp for this short time)
Metal will set off medal detectors
Screw is small and if fully removed can be lost (DO NOT remove all the way)
Adds to weight of the deivce (barely any, but still adds)

Pros -

Double lock and very concern
Quick and easy to use
Can be added to most disposable clamps
Knob can be reused

ANY THOUGHTS or suggestions let me know - THANKS

PS - calling the company that makes the knobs tomorrow to see if I can buy like 100 of them - LMPO. If anyone is interested send me a private messege and I can help you out if I get them.

Attachments

Last edited:
hey Semi - great idea!!! I had a clamp failure last week, for the second time since the surgery, and we all know the results, lol.
I am using your idea with the hollister medical adhesive to secure the flange and it took care of the problem. THANKS!

the knobs could be made from a material that does not rust. right now I am using a rubber band to add security but I like your idea much better.

thank you for sharing your creative ideas

OK, so as most of you know I am a sucker for new items. I purchased this belt below from this web site. I have to honestly say it is the best belt for sleeping in. It holds it secure, both the wafer and the bag. I also like it cause it has a stoma protector. The one neat thing is this cover will pop off if the bag fills up with gas, which most others do not allow. The belt does also not move around as you are sleeping. The cost is 110 for the 1st one and you get 20 off after that off any others ones you purchase. You can also use this as a everyday belt, but I still like me ostomyarmor for that.

http://www.celebrationostomysupportbelt.com/

Any questions let me know

Nyx

That belt looks good, but again I'm hesitant to buy it since my stoma sits a bit low, and the belt wouldn't go right around my waist, but part way over my hips and when that happens, they always roll up (being the curvy gal that I am). It's too bad that you can't try them on and return them if they don't work...sigh

Hey guys, was wondering if anyone is using anything else other then stoma paste. I have see what appears to be some new products out there, but not sure if they will do the same and work as well.

Any input or suggestions would like to know. Thanks

Hey Semi - Glad to hear from you.

I have been using the Eakin Cohesive Seal Convatec and trim it to half its original size. I did use in the past the Stomahesive Paste 2Oz tube Convatec, but had few problems with it such as removing it is messy and if the area is not 100% dry I had few leaks.
I would love to hear of any new products.

ok, been a while and thought I might update my information.

Now using coloplast, since my body started rejecting the adhesive of convatec. Much happier with coloplast, even though I only can use a device for three days, but changing is quicker and easier. Switched to the Eakin Seal over paste and wondered why paste is even still out there, LOL. I have found that what works well for me is clean the area with mild soap and water, then just water and dry. Use coloplast skin prep, liquid adhesive just around the stoma, in the area the eakin seal will bond to. Put on wafer and a bag and I am out the door. Have had no leaks or any itching - THANK GOOD.

Last edited:

ameslouise

Isn't it amazing how many products are out there? We all have to find what works best for us and we're all different! Glad you found one that's working well for you!

My friend's mom has had an ileo for 40 years. Back then, they didn't even have adhesives, bags were kept on with a belt. Can you imagine???? We are lucky!

- Amy

Terriernut

Yes Amy, and all. There are alot of products out there, so I'm always confuddled. (is that a word?)

Especially since Stan is changing sizes. When I work like a pack mule he gets to 40mm, when I'm quiet and behaving myself, he is 35mm.

Can anyone say.....LEAKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never mind my skin condition around Stan. I'm in pain! Skin awful, as it is tearing away from stoma, and with leaks, well, ya know.

I'm using the coloplast powder, I'm using cavilon. I'm using the seals. But still the skin is bad. I went to a 35mm pre cut bag (dansac one piece drainable). I'm looking for advice for what to try. I'd like a two piece, and I'd like to be able to keep a better eye on Stan and the skin around him.

I have an ileostomy. Also, I have two butts. Yes folks two! One on the left side of my abdomen. So, it has to be a flexible adhesive to fit what looks like a basketball!

Any advice oh awesome stomaites...(is that a word??)
Misty

Misty - what are you currently using for a wafer? I found that I had my issue with the adhesive, thus why I had to switch to coloplast. All the other products were to aggressive for my skin and then to remove these I had to use other products. I found that the less products is better for me skin. I find with the coloplast I need nothing to remove them. other then a slow pull - NO MORE of the adhesive remover, thank god. To put on my wafer I just use a skin prep and it is good.

For the leakage I found that Eakin seals work so much better then paste. I was always having issues with paste and leaking all the time. Since I have switched I have had no issues. If you contact your ostomy supplier they will normally send you a sample to try.

I wish you and Stan the best.

Terriernut

Misty - what are you currently using for a wafer? I found that I had my issue with the adhesive, thus why I had to switch to coloplast. All the other products were to aggressive for my skin and then to remove these I had to use other products. I found that the less products is better for me skin. I find with the coloplast I need nothing to remove them. other then a slow pull - NO MORE of the adhesive remover, thank god. To put on my wafer I just use a skin prep and it is good.

For the leakage I found that Eakin seals work so much better then paste. I was always having issues with paste and leaking all the time. Since I have switched I have had no issues. If you contact your ostomy supplier they will normally send you a sample to try.

I wish you and Stan the best.
Semi, I'm using the one piece Dansac. The wafer is just part of the bag. I also use secuplast seals. I see you recommend coloplast. I have some samples from them, but I will ask for more as they sent me the ones with a 40mm opening for Stan and thats too big (for today...tomorrow he may decide to be bigger!)
I also just ordered samples from Hollister. I am soooo confused about all the products :yfaint:
Misty

ameslouise

Misty - Is there a stoma nurse you can work with? Perhaps if s/he were to look at your stoma and the area surrounding, and you can explain the issues you are having, s/he could recommend the best products or type of products to use.

Did you work with a stoma nurse after your surgery, or have a home nurse that specialized in ostomy and wound care?

Good luck. It's no fun dealing with leaks.

-Ames

Terriernut

Amy, I did work with a stoma nurse yes. Although lovely and very helpful, she seems to be contracted with Dansac and no matter what my problem is, it's back to Dansac! I've been in contact with her, and she gave me the powder and the rings. Thats it.

Misty

Misty,
Sorry you have to deal with the stoma problems. We are all using different methods and products. I have tried them all and settled on convatec moldable with Eakin seal and for the most part I am leak free (had some mishaps). I am sure you will find the right one for you. Less is more as Semi thought me...

Misty it just takes time to find what will work for you, and it sucks. Most of us can feel your pain and understand. Just keep trying something to you find that works for you and Stan, I am sure you will. I know I have tried almost every brand out there and took me about 6 months to find the best one, it will happen.

Wish you the best and let me know if you have any questions.

Terriernut

Thanks Semi! My problems are definetely because of the basketball sized hernia. I'm on the phone to all suppliers explaining the situation and asking for solutions.

The TRUE solution is only more surgery to get rid of the hernia. But that I have to fight for. They want to wait til the possible reversal surgery. However, I've been told they dont want to reverse it. If I crack all their heads together do you think they could come up with something? Arrrgh!!!

Misty

ameslouise

Misty - I thought your stoma was permanent??? I guess the Hernia guys aren't talking to the Stoma guys????

- Ames

Terriernut

Amy, they told me it was temp before and right after surgery. then, the surgeon said 6 weeks after surgery, that it should be permanent because I had crohns. I said and I quote "if it was friggin permanent...why didnt you take the whole friggin colon out and have done with it or are you stupid!??!'
(i didnt say friggin by the way..I said something else)
I was told Hartmanns proceedures are emergencies...but 2/3rds never get reversed. I said...excuse me.....if I have crohns colitis...and I am 'never going to get better' why do I have a colon and an asshole then??? No response?? Hmmmmm. Before I beat MY head against a wall, I assure you, their heads will be beaten first!

I make this pledge....I will have Stan sorted this year. They WILL give me hernia surgery. I may have another Stan...but by god I will not have a hernia the size of a basketball thank you!

I didnt lift, I didnt overdue. The surgery was not done correctly. I realize Dr was on for over 24 hours...It was 9pm whatever. I'm screwed until this is fixed!!!

Misty