Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Prednisone/Entocort » What's worse prednisone or percocet?

07-11-2010, 07:49 AM   #1
theend2

What's worse prednisone or percocet?

Looking for what you all think is worse to take prednisone or percocet? I think they are both have there place and I have been living on them for 2 years now but go ahead and try to come off either of them to quickly and look out it pure he'll.
DX: Diabetes April 2010

Meds:
Did not work:
Apriso caused bad joint pains.
mesalamine - Asacol
6-mercaptopurine
azathioprine AZA
Entocort EC
Sulfasalazine
Remicade
Humira
Methotrexate

YES these are working:
Prednisone 40-60 mg daily. Down to 10/20mg
Cortfoam enemas
Protonix 40mg
Pain meds as needed.

Vitamin's:
Calcium
Vitamin D

07-11-2010, 08:00 AM   #2
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

wow, you have been on both for two years??? Ouch. I see you are on 30mg of pred, I would do slow taper and the same for Percocets. You must not have been monitored or not see s doc in a while? I am surprised you have been on both for so long!

If you just stop either one, you are gonna be sick, Percocets are potent and long term use of Prednisone is hard on your body too. I see you are on Calcium, and Vitamin D, good thing.

Cut back on the percs slow, I had a friend who quit cold turkey and she was violently sick for days. Worst senario. Hope you are still on Apriso or something whilst you taper.

What is the next recourse for your medications down the road?
07-11-2010, 08:40 AM   #3
theend2

The apriso failed also. So I have no choice but to stay on the prednisone until something like cimzia becomes a available under my insurance. I am on 25mg per day of the pain meds and yes if I don't take any for a day I am in lots of pain and then start to feel sick. The prednisone also makes me I'll everytime I try to lower the dose. What's really crazy is that this is where it has landed for me that being nothing else works but prednisone.
07-11-2010, 12:40 PM   #4
Rebecca85

Has your doctor mentioned surgery to you? Since no other meds seem to work, surely surgery is a better option than staying on pred for the forseeable future?

125mg azathioprine
4g Pentasa
07-11-2010, 01:56 PM   #5
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

I just got the gist of your meds and dx's theend... Prednisone causes osteo, and diabetes... especially longterm! I would try something ,anything to get off pred. Pred is good temporary use.. but sooner or later when you taper you do need something to replace it or surgery, as Rebecca mentioned.
07-11-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
butt-eze
Superstar

Prednisone is hands down the worst for your body. The dependence on percocet isn't ideal but not as debilitating as the dependence on prednisone.
Committee Chair for CCFA Northwest Chapter
07-11-2010, 05:20 PM   #7
Keona

are the perks even working for you anymore or are you taking them just so you don't get sick?
Dx Endometriosis April 2011

"if nothing changes - nothing changes

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=530585394
07-11-2010, 06:47 PM   #8
Jennifer
Adminstrator

Has your doctor mentioned surgery to you? Since no other meds seem to work, surely surgery is a better option than staying on pred for the forseeable future?
True if Pred isn't working and no other drugs are, then why continue taking it? No one likes surgery but it may be a far better option than damaging your body slowly by the long term use of drugs like Pred that are meant to be temporary.

After a year of Pred not working for me I had my surgery done and I've been in remission now for 11 years. Its something to start talking to your doc about if you haven't already.
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
07-11-2010, 10:05 PM   #9
theend2

The percocets still work and I really do need them to kill the chronic pain I have and continue to have it really stinks I would like to stop them. The prednisone works also problem is it's the only thing that seems to work for me. But you are all correct I need to get off the prednisone and it needs to be soon, yes it is the reason I got the diabetes and the osteo. I have talked about the surgery briefly with my GI doc he want to wait it out til the beginning of 2011 to see if between now and then something new comes down the road. I pray for something soon.
07-11-2010, 11:11 PM   #10
KittyPants

Out of my own curiosity, do you see a pain management doctor? My primary care doctor just sent me to one. I'm hoping it will work out.

And yeah, I don't know how you can handle the prednisone that long! Hugs! I hate that stuff.
07-12-2010, 07:48 AM   #11
theend2

I was sent to pain management and they wanted to give me all these drugs to try and then wanted me to meditate. Well I do meditate every day and that does seems to help for the moment with the stress but not the pain. I am starting to get very grumpy on this prednisone it's been way to long being on it, but I am scared shit of stopping it. I do not want to end up back in the hostpital.
07-12-2010, 10:56 PM   #12
Mike

My Support Groups:
I have seen perks ruin a lot of lives so I would have to say those.

Has Massachusetts legalized medical marijuana yet? I know they have pretty much just made it a fineable offense.

An hour down the road they have and they are opening up shops down here in the next year. A buddy of mine who has Crohns just got his green card and it has pretty much turned his life around for the best.
07-12-2010, 11:46 PM   #13
theend2

Hello Mike as far as I know Mass has not legalize Medical marijuana. I was wondering do you use it for your pain? And how does it work for you?
07-12-2010, 11:59 PM   #14
Mike

My Support Groups:
Not yet, although I'm starting to consider it because I can't deal with the perks and vicodin and the four anti-nausea pills I have been prescribed all make me throw up (go figure). I have several friends and family members who use it for various things and all of them are new people (in a good way).
07-13-2010, 08:51 AM   #15
theend2

The more and more I read about it the more it makes sense. It seems it kills a few birds with 1 stone.
07-13-2010, 11:34 AM   #16
KittyPants

MMJ is helpful if you can get it. But it isn't for everyone, and it isn't legal everywhere. The few times I have had it though it was like having a normal stomach again. I take Marinol right now. It isn't as good, but it helps with the appetite/nausea.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Prednisone/Entocort » What's worse prednisone or percocet?