• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New updated info on Vitamin D

Personally I would use at least 1,000 iu unless you are under 50 and get plenty of sunlight. Older people do not convert D3 from sunlight exposure as well as younger people, but the only way to know your level is to have the blood test done.

There is also the variability of the real mount of D in the supplements them selves that make it even more difficult to accurately supplement.

1,000 iu daily allowed my Winter D level to drop to half of the summer time level. That was half of what is now considered normal, which is probably too low to begin with.

Obviously 1000 iu either was not enough or the supplement did not contain the amount of D-3 that it was supposed to, or it was not in a form that is usable to the body.

I am going to try find a supplement that is tested to assure that is contains something close to what is on the label. Dr. Mercola has a spray that is supposed to be better than tablet. I do think he is rather picky about what he sells, so that may be what I try next. Blood testing should be able to determine if the supplement is working as it should.

Overdosing on D is such a rare occurrence that it is not really something I am worried about.

Dan

Ideally you want something that is in liquid capsule form or just a liquid/dissolvable powder to maximize absorption. The other thing is look for marks on the labels like "USP" meaning an independent company has verified the strength of the supplement for you and that you can be reasonably sure it is going to be a better quality and closer to the listed strength than other supplements. Also, as Dan said, Vit D is hard to overdose on. I took 15000 iu a day for 2 weeks in pills I got from the pharmacy because my D got so low in February.

Interesting, I'll probably boost up to 2000 from 1000 and maybe 3000 in the winter when I don't go outside as much.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Without giving TOO much away lol... I am not quite 50 but have had 2 resections. Was taking 1000mg short of Vitamin D3 now I will take more. I am out in the sun but I wear a hat and capri's (petal pushers lol) and long sleeves, because I am so fair. I hate the hot sun, so I am only out when golfing (which is now gonna stop because of a back knee tendon pulled muscle :() so I cover up. Like I need more risks.

Three years ago my doctor told me that I was very low in vitamin D, but it wasn't necessary to supplement except for a daily multivitamin. I live in Florida and am in the sun frequently, so I didn't understand why I was low, but I just forgot all about it. 2 1/2 years later I suddenly get Crohn's. I really wish I had taken D supplements.