• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's,My Journey

Hi!
My first hint of Crohn's came in the Marine Corps in 1967 in Vietnam. It was something I chose to ignore.I thought it was the stress,and a million other things. I had severe gas pains and was constantly in trouble with "bush breaks".
It seemed to resolve and I happily went on my journey. Flash forward to 1990
and I had a event that was diagnosed as a partial blockage. No meds were given,but that event sent me to my internist. He thought it was ibs but thanks to the research I did I knew it was Crohn's.In 1991 I had my first complete blockage and was put on prednisone which made me psychotic,then another blockage and a resection,more prednisone and then imuran. I have been very lucky,my Crohn's has been very mild compared to most of you. I have had many flares and gone through many embarrassing times,where I've lost control of my bowels but have never needed another resection. I have been stable(sort of)
since 1993! That is until now. The imuran has stopped working and Crohn's has attacked the site of my resection,another visit to the hospital and and I've started remicade. My journey continues with a recommendation that I have both hips replaced. I admit that this scares me more than the Crohn's,
and the chances of infection of the prosthesis due to the Crohn's seeding bugs into my blood stream has me a bit upset. I'm glad to have found this support group and I have read many of your great stories,thanks to all of you
I can be a bit less scared and move on down the road!

Astra

Hiya and welcome

glad you found us for some support, lots of friends here for you!
check out the Remicade Club thread, lots of success stories there!
really hope it works for you!
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Hi 6h, thank you for your service!! I was 3 when you were in Vietnam. Hope you get some much needed relief from the Remi. Surely, with the increased chance of infection, they will keep a close eye to avoid that after your hip replacements. Did they ever officially dx crohn's?

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi and :welcome:

I'm glad you found us as you will be a great asset to the forum with your knowledge and experience. This is a great place for support and information. I hope things work out for you with the Remicade.

Stick around and keep us posted on how you are going with it. Also let us know what happens with regards to your hip replacements.

All the best,
Dusty