• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ostomy Takedown in a Week

I'm excited, I get my ileostomy reversal in a week and start using my jpouch! It has been 3 months since my first surgery. I have my pre-op next Monday. It looks like I will only be in the hospital 1-2 days this time.

Hey there,
Maybe you've already discussed this in other posts, but how do you and your docs feel about going for a JPouch with Crohns?

Good luck with surgery! Some club we got here, we're happy when members leave!

Yay for you! YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY! Please post how it is for you for those of us who are still waiting for our reversals. :)

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Congratulations, how exciting for you!

:goodluck: with the surgery and successful outcome.

All the very best,
Dusty

Thanks everyone! I am excited too. I will tell you guy everything.

CDDad - My whole diagnosis is strange, it goes both ways. I'm 27 now, but when I was 10 I got diagnosed with Crohn's with a colonoscopy and I kept it in remission until age 21. Ever since 21 I could not get it under control. Over the years and after many colonoscopies and pill cam we have never seen any involvement of my small intestine only in my rectum and colon. We have been calling it Ulcerative Colitis now (well now it's gone) and hope for the best. My pathology from my colon and rectum they removed just said colitis.

Hey Joey - Very exciting about your upcoming reversal. This surgery should be much easier than the first one. Sometimes pathalogist have hard time diffrentiating between Crohn's and Colitis. When I was first diagnosed 15 years ago they told me I have Colitis. My symptom were always in the lower left sigmoid and colon. I received this week the pathalogy report and it reads like a 'politically correct novel' they are trying to cover all options. For your sake I hope and pray its colitis and not Crohn's.
Please keep us updated how are things
good luck

Congrats and wish you the best and a full recovery. You going to need lessons on using a toliet normal again, LOL. Kepp us advised on how you do.

Thanks everyone. I get to start another adventure. I wonder ho the "flow" will go after. I've been dong kegle exercises every day since the first surgery, so hopefully that will help. I will definitely keep you all updated on everything.

Ok I'm home now recovering from being hooked back up! This surgery was a walk in the park compared to the initial jpouch and ileostomy surgery. Here are the details:

The surgery was 90 minutes, but part of that time they did a scope to inspect my jpouch, connection points, and dialate my anus. I woke up and they gave me a shot of morphine to control the pain. They kept me there two nights even though I felt fine after the first day. They kept me longer to monitor me as they increased my diet. The only pain medicine I was using there was Toradol which was an anti-inflammitory. I am still getting use to sensing when I have to go to the bathroom, which I do often since the jpouch is small still. They used dissolveable stiches and steri strips to hold me together. Other than being a little sore, I am very happy.

Now I need to get a bidet and some butt creams, cause I'm getting the burn. lol

Congrats - I hope it works out well for you. Have you heard of Calmoseptine ointment? Everone says it's the best. I have used it before my ostomy and I agree. Can be a bit hard to find. My local CVS had it behind the pharmacy counter, but a small independant pharmacy had it on the shelf. Or order online.

Good luck!!

Hey Joey- Its so great hering that all went well and you are home getting used to the Jpouch.
A bidet I used was from Bidet king, a $130 best investment I have ever made. You can get more complex bidets.
The cream that I used and worked for me was LIDOCAINE/HC 3-2.5% KIT which comes in 30 kits to a box. It gave me amazing relief. you need a prescription.

Lets us know how are you getting used to the J pouch, trials and tribulations.

I am doing really well with my Ostomy.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Joey,

It's so good to hear that surgery was successful and you are well on the way to a speed recovery, YAY!!!

Take care, :)
Dusty

Thanks guys,

I went and got the Calmseptine ointment and so far it is helping. I believe it's the same as diaper cream.

acg - I'm glad you are doing well with the ostomy, I actually really enjoyed having mine, my life was much improved then before.

I'll keep you all updated. Still sore and taking it easy since its day 3-4. I have my post-op app. on Wednesday.

I'm sorry I missed this the first time around!

Sounds like you are doing great so far and had a really successful reversal! Your spirits seem to be really high and that's always good. Best of luck on continuing recovery and adjusting to your new j pouch :)

ameslouise

Hi Joey and congrats on the takedown! I hope you have a quick recovery from this surgery. Things will get easier/better each and every day, though it will be some time until the pouch is up to full capacity.

I had a lot of butt burn in the beginning! I got my bidet from usabidet.

Take care of yourself!! Keep us posted on your progress! -Amy

Thanks ladies,

It actually is tough since it is the beginning. The butt burn is pretty intense. I did order a bidet so I am totally looking forward to receiving it soon! I'm trying to get use to the pressure inside me pushing on my butt hole, it is annoying! lol.

One thing I noticed is it is hard to pee lately, it is just hard to get it out. Maybe my bladder hasn't snapped back from surgery yet.

I'm trying to get use to the pressure inside me pushing on my butt hole, it is annoying! lol.

:ylol2::ylol2::ylol2: I'm sorry - that just made me laugh out loud! Not at you, just the way you phrased it. ;)

Yeah, I would imagine it might take some time for things to "wake up," but I have no first hand experience with this. Hopefully someone else has some insight. Glad you can laugh about things though!

Nyx

Glad it's going well for you Joey. And the pressure thing must be hard to get used to again! I can't even remember what that feels like anymore! I can't say that I miss it...lol

Good luck and I hope your recovery continues smoothly :)