Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Ostomy Takedown in a Week

07-28-2010, 09:06 AM   #1
sickranchero

Ostomy Takedown in a Week

I'm excited, I get my ileostomy reversal in a week and start using my jpouch! It has been 3 months since my first surgery. I have my pre-op next Monday. It looks like I will only be in the hospital 1-2 days this time.

1. Diagnosed with Crohn's 1994 at 10 years old
2. In remission until 2005
3. Used asacol, 6mp, remicade, imuran, prednisone, entocourt, humira, lialda, and enemas/suppositories until 2010 with no relief.
4. May 6th, 2010 Step 1 of jpouch surgery!
07-28-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
Mayflower537

My Support Groups:
Congrats! Hope everything goes well.
07-28-2010, 09:30 AM   #3
CDDad

Hey there,
Maybe you've already discussed this in other posts, but how do you and your docs feel about going for a JPouch with Crohns?

Good luck with surgery! Some club we got here, we're happy when members leave!
On Protonix and Humira.
07-28-2010, 10:43 AM   #4
Jer's Girl

Yay for you! YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY! Please post how it is for you for those of us who are still waiting for our reversals.
07-28-2010, 12:31 PM   #5
Nyx

My Support Groups:
Congrats! I hope it goes well for you

Crohn's Diagnosis: May 2006
Current meds: none
Surgeries: Colostomy, December 2009

"Never trust a fart." Jack Nicholson, The Bucket List

Oscar is awesome! Loving my life with my stoma (with a hint of poo)!!

07-28-2010, 02:10 PM   #6
Entchen
Chief Dandelion Picker

Good news! Will look forward to hearing about a successful procedure.
Turned my Crohn's life around: ginger for nausea.
Claim to fame: "loopy and floppy" colon
07-28-2010, 03:02 PM   #7
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Congratulations, how exciting for you!

with the surgery and successful outcome.

All the very best,
Dusty
07-29-2010, 02:14 PM   #8
sickranchero

Thanks everyone! I am excited too. I will tell you guy everything.

CDDad - My whole diagnosis is strange, it goes both ways. I'm 27 now, but when I was 10 I got diagnosed with Crohn's with a colonoscopy and I kept it in remission until age 21. Ever since 21 I could not get it under control. Over the years and after many colonoscopies and pill cam we have never seen any involvement of my small intestine only in my rectum and colon. We have been calling it Ulcerative Colitis now (well now it's gone) and hope for the best. My pathology from my colon and rectum they removed just said colitis.
07-29-2010, 04:23 PM   #9
acg101

Hey Joey - Very exciting about your upcoming reversal. This surgery should be much easier than the first one. Sometimes pathalogist have hard time diffrentiating between Crohn's and Colitis. When I was first diagnosed 15 years ago they told me I have Colitis. My symptom were always in the lower left sigmoid and colon. I received this week the pathalogy report and it reads like a 'politically correct novel' they are trying to cover all options. For your sake I hope and pray its colitis and not Crohn's.
Please keep us updated how are things
good luck

1. Diagnosed with Crohn's UC 1995
2. Flagyl/Cipro Imuran in 80%remission 1997 2005
3. Used 5mp, asacol, 6mp, remicade, imuran, Cimzia, entocourt, Flagyl/Cipro and enemas/suppositories until 2010 with periodic relief.
4. July 9th 2010 total ProctoCollectomy surgery! Free at Last!
07-29-2010, 06:41 PM   #10
CDDad

That's great news Joey!
07-29-2010, 06:44 PM   #11
semicolon306

Congrats and wish you the best and a full recovery. You going to need lessons on using a toliet normal again, LOL. Kepp us advised on how you do.

E-mail - [email protected]

Age 8 - ABD pain, weight loss, no appetite
Age15 - Admitted with rectal bleeding and pain - treated as Colitis
Age 19 - Colon removal with a ileostomy
Age 20 - J Pouch with a Pull through procedure
Age 32 - Complete blockage (due to scar tissue)
Age 34 - Partial blockage and found to have Crohn's
Age 35 - J pouch has a fistula & both connected to spine
Age 36 - Ileostomy and rectum closed
07-29-2010, 06:45 PM   #12
Jeff D.

That's great news. Keep letting us know how it goes and update us with how you recover from surgery.
07-30-2010, 02:10 PM   #13
sickranchero

Thanks everyone. I get to start another adventure. I wonder ho the "flow" will go after. I've been dong kegle exercises every day since the first surgery, so hopefully that will help. I will definitely keep you all updated on everything.
08-08-2010, 11:42 AM   #14
sickranchero

Ok I'm home now recovering from being hooked back up! This surgery was a walk in the park compared to the initial jpouch and ileostomy surgery. Here are the details:

The surgery was 90 minutes, but part of that time they did a scope to inspect my jpouch, connection points, and dialate my anus. I woke up and they gave me a shot of morphine to control the pain. They kept me there two nights even though I felt fine after the first day. They kept me longer to monitor me as they increased my diet. The only pain medicine I was using there was Toradol which was an anti-inflammitory. I am still getting use to sensing when I have to go to the bathroom, which I do often since the jpouch is small still. They used dissolveable stiches and steri strips to hold me together. Other than being a little sore, I am very happy.

Now I need to get a bidet and some butt creams, cause I'm getting the burn. lol
08-08-2010, 12:06 PM   #15
CDDad

Congrats - I hope it works out well for you. Have you heard of Calmoseptine ointment? Everone says it's the best. I have used it before my ostomy and I agree. Can be a bit hard to find. My local CVS had it behind the pharmacy counter, but a small independant pharmacy had it on the shelf. Or order online.

Good luck!!
08-08-2010, 02:23 PM   #16
acg101

Hey Joey- Its so great hering that all went well and you are home getting used to the Jpouch.
A bidet I used was from Bidet king, a $130 best investment I have ever made. You can get more complex bidets.
The cream that I used and worked for me was LIDOCAINE/HC 3-2.5% KIT which comes in 30 kits to a box. It gave me amazing relief. you need a prescription.

Lets us know how are you getting used to the J pouch, trials and tribulations.

I am doing really well with my Ostomy.
08-08-2010, 03:16 PM   #17
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Hi Joey,

It's so good to hear that surgery was successful and you are well on the way to a speed recovery, YAY!!!

Take care,
Dusty
08-08-2010, 09:35 PM   #18
sickranchero

Thanks guys,

I went and got the Calmseptine ointment and so far it is helping. I believe it's the same as diaper cream.

acg - I'm glad you are doing well with the ostomy, I actually really enjoyed having mine, my life was much improved then before.

I'll keep you all updated. Still sore and taking it easy since its day 3-4. I have my post-op app. on Wednesday.
08-08-2010, 10:06 PM   #19
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
I'm sorry I missed this the first time around!

Sounds like you are doing great so far and had a really successful reversal! Your spirits seem to be really high and that's always good. Best of luck on continuing recovery and adjusting to your new j pouch
January 2014 - adopted a mostly Paleo diet
May 2015 - still in remission!

Currently Taking
Humira - 40mg/week
Imuran - 125 mg/day
Calcium magnesium citrate
Fermented cod liver oil/butter blend
Culturelle probiotics
Vitamin D
Vitamin C
Biotin
Allegra
08-08-2010, 10:17 PM   #20
ameslouise

Hi Joey and congrats on the takedown! I hope you have a quick recovery from this surgery. Things will get easier/better each and every day, though it will be some time until the pouch is up to full capacity.

I had a lot of butt burn in the beginning! I got my bidet from usabidet.

Take care of yourself!! Keep us posted on your progress! -Amy
08-09-2010, 01:17 AM   #21
sickranchero

Thanks ladies,

It actually is tough since it is the beginning. The butt burn is pretty intense. I did order a bidet so I am totally looking forward to receiving it soon! I'm trying to get use to the pressure inside me pushing on my butt hole, it is annoying! lol.

One thing I noticed is it is hard to pee lately, it is just hard to get it out. Maybe my bladder hasn't snapped back from surgery yet.
08-09-2010, 09:53 AM   #22
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
I'm trying to get use to the pressure inside me pushing on my butt hole, it is annoying! lol.

I'm sorry - that just made me laugh out loud! Not at you, just the way you phrased it.

Yeah, I would imagine it might take some time for things to "wake up," but I have no first hand experience with this. Hopefully someone else has some insight. Glad you can laugh about things though!
08-09-2010, 11:50 AM   #23
Nyx

My Support Groups:
Glad it's going well for you Joey. And the pressure thing must be hard to get used to again! I can't even remember what that feels like anymore! I can't say that I miss it...lol

Good luck and I hope your recovery continues smoothly
08-09-2010, 11:58 AM   #24
Jer's Girl

Good luck! I hope that you heal and get used to things quickly!
08-18-2010, 08:04 AM   #25
acg101

Joey = I hope you doing well and getting used to the new-you!

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Ostomy Takedown in a Week