• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

People on predisone can eat whatever they want?

This is not true for me unfortunately, anything I ate during my predisone run ended in constipation. Thankfully I'm off predisone now. Did anyone else have these issues even while on predisone.

Oh yeah. The first time I was on, I mistakenly thought I could eat whatever I wanted and while I could eat some things I normally can't, I certainly wasn't able to eat everything. For instance, red meat and raw veggies are still big no nos for me, regardless of the prednisone.

I was crazy on pred, like I was on anabolic steroids or something.... Looking back I'm scared at how much rage I felt for no reason.

I did eat like a monster though! I ate whatever I wanted because it was after my first surgery of only an abscess removal and so my intestines weren't very scarred at the time.

I once ate 2 large pizzas and bread sticks in a sitting while on it, I must have had 6 waters too

I couldn't eat anything on Pred. everything just disagreed with me so for the most part I was on the Elemental. Same right now with the Entocort, going through a really bad patch and I can't stomach anything, I don't even want to try right now, so back to the Elemental.

So yeah guess more than a few people have had similar issues, steroids definitely aren't an invitation to eat whatever you want without consequence.

i am on predisone now and the GI doc told me no salt what so every and still watch my diet which she has me on a low fat low fiber diet

Astra

I ate everything in sight on Pred! felt like I had the munchies after smoking tons of pot! Never affected my bowels at all, I was also whizzing like I'd been on speed (amphetemines) God only knows what's in that Pred!!!
Took me right back to my youth, ha ha ha

I've been on this for a few weeks now, and it makes me want to eat all the time. I do fairly well at resisting temptation though. No constipation problems though.

Hello again everyone, yesterday was quite an experience, at 11:00am I started having extreme burning pain in my gut. This pain was on and off at 15-30 second intervals for about 2 hours. I thought I was having another flare up (last time it was in my ileum) so I took 40mg of prednisone even though I was cold turkey off the stuff since last Tuesday. Halfway to the hospital my pain started subsiding and by the time I reached the waiting room the pain had died down to a mild cramping. I didn't feel 100% and after waiting 4-5 hours for a doctor I was seen and they took an x-ray. Turns out they couldn't find any signs of inflammation and I was just extremely constipated. They gave me an enema and sent me home with some liquid laxative after that. Thankfully the cramping went away after the enema but I was wondering if I did happen to have a flare up because of the constipation and it just happen to go away on the trip to the hospital because I took some prednisone. In either case I have a really bad constipation problem, are there any tips you could help give me to experience relief? I'm doing the laxative for a week and gonna try Metamucil once a day. Hopefully it helps. Thanks for all your support everyone.:D

Hi
When i am on Steriods, ( prednisalone) which i have been since december 2009, it's horrible, nothing what you eat seems to fills you up.and my weight gain isnt too bad , as i still suffer with lots of visits to the loo ( i'm the toilet queen) lol. so my kids say !!
BUT... after being in hospital for 3 weeks, and 10 days of i.v. steriods 4 times a day.. then oral from 40mg to reducing them now down to 10mg which i seem never to get any lower !! as it all flares up again..
I have now gone form a UK size 8 in march to a UK size 14 - 16 and its only July... i hate being this size, it get s me really down, the thing is, they havent even helped !!! so hence surgery in 3 weeks time .

I thought I was having another flare up (last time it was in my ileum) so I took 40mg of prednisone even though I was cold turkey off the stuff since last Tuesday. :D
I hope you talked to them about this at the hospital. I don't think prednisone is the type of drug you want to just be taking 40 mg of when you feel bad (although I must say I have been tempted myself), but I am not an expert. You just want to be sure you aren't messing your body up even more by playing around with it on your own.

As to the constipation advice, I have been having the same problem while I've been on prednisone. I have read that stool softeners help, but I am afraid to try them. I have just been trying to have some more of my safe vegetables (well cooked of course) and it does seems to have helped a little.

I hope you talked to them about this at the hospital. I don't think prednisone is the type of drug you want to just be taking 40 mg of when you feel bad (although I must say I have been tempted myself), but I am not an expert. You just want to be sure you aren't messing your body up even more by playing around with it on your own.

As to the constipation advice, I have been having the same problem while I've been on prednisone. I have read that stool softeners help, but I am afraid to try them. I have just been trying to have some more of my safe vegetables (well cooked of course) and it does seems to have helped a little.
You're probably right about the prednisone, I've called up my GI's assistant before and anytime I had pain she would tell me to take the prednisone. This time I was doubling over in pain as if I had a flare up. Last time I went to the hospital with a flare up they just put me on an IV form of prednisone, so I decided why wait and took it. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only crohnie out there that has constipation symptoms as opposed to diarrhea symptoms. I eat relatively healthy making sure to cook all my veggies just as you do and occasionally puree my fruits. I'm doing liquid laxative for a week in tandem with Metamucil powder to see if it helps. After one week I'll just be doing Metamucil if it helps. If you are thinking of trying stool softeners do so for no more than a couple of weeks as your bowel may acquire a dependency towards them. I personally have had stool softener and it helped my symptoms while I was on them. If it gives you relief try it. It worked for me (I had the pills by the way) and good luck:thumright:

Yeah, I see your reasoning in popping the prednisone but they taper such drugs like that for a reason so if it were me, I'd do a little research before trying that again.

I was told of much less harsh steroids to DEFINITELY avoid popping them like tylenol.

It is rare to have constipation all the time while having crohn's! Do you know why it's like this for you? Just curious!

I've been on and off prednisone sine 2006. I could eat whatever I wanted but it did tend to constipate me. Matter of fact, a weeks ago I had to go to the ER b/c my constipation was so bad and they manually had to break it up. The doctor seemed to think I was nuts when I told him prednisone did it.

Even though I'm on Pred, I still get bouts of the Big D when I eat fried foods, Chinese food, pizza, fruit (including juices), and raw veggies. Which is why I've totally cut those out of my diet.

I miss fried chicken. :(
But, at least I can still eat shake & bake.

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
It's 9 days into prednisone for me (started at just 30 mg, mind you) and I still get sick from over-cooked - mushy - chopped into smithereens - cooked into soup vegetables. So I certainly can't eat anything at this point, although I'm forcing the veg as much as possible to try to combat the cravings for fatty foods that I'm having while on the drug.

I first went on prednisone at the end of last year, and it was night and day for me. In less than 48 hours I went from complete misery to no pain. I was 50 lbs underweight by that point, so I was eating everything in sight. I even started experimenting with foods I hadn't dared try in years.

I had no problems until I had a pasta dish with a really spicy Italian sausage. As soon as I had a couple bites, I knew it was going to be trouble. And I was right. Two days of pain for a couple bites of sausage.

Oddly enough, though, it was strangely comforting. To be invulnerable after almost a year of constant pain, it felt too good to be true. Like maybe it had all been in my head. So to feel mortal again made it feel right. I was healthy, but I had limits. And I could live with that.

I have been on Pred for about 2 months now, and I am finding that I still can't eat everything I want, even though I crave food all the time. I try to just drink water when I get my cravings, but sometimes I cave in! I have gained a lotttt of weight (20 pounds in a month), and thats what's really upsetting me. How long did it take everybody to lose the moon face/weight?
I haven't been constapated at all, I still go to the bathroom 3-4 times a day, which is better than before :)

Someone told me to eat protein as it keeps you fuller for longer.

I gained about 20 pounds too, but I had previously lost quite a bit when I was ill (so only had to lose 10 pounds or so). I found once I got to 15 or 20mg of pred the cravings eased and my weight stabilised. It cane off gradually once I was off the pred completely. Now after maybe 2 months off my weight is normal, but I am slightly bigger and 'podgier' looking than before, which I attribute to losing muscle through not exercising with not feeling good. I can't comment on the moon face, as I was lucky and didn't get it.