• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Welcome JoeyK

Hi all, I just discovered this forum and have been reading up on this thread tonight, as I just started my Humira Pen treatment today (4 doses = 160mg).

Ouch.

I have a slim/muscular build with very little fat on my body, which could have contributed to the pain. I tried various spots in my abs, small love handle area, and thighs. They all hurt, even though I let the shots warm up for about a half hour. Icing didn't make much of a difference.

Anyway, hopefully they'll work for me.

Since being diagnosed (post colonoscopy) with Crohn's in June after brutal cramps, frequent and strained bowel movements, and a loss of almost 10% of my body weight, I've been on Prednisone, first at 30mg/day and now down to 10mg/day. I'll taper down to 5mg next week and then go off it the week after. Within 2 days of starting on prednisone, I felt not just normal, but like a million dollars. (Steroid high, I guess.) Per my doctor's predictions, I started eating 5000+ calories a day, and (also per her predictions, based on my body type), unfortunately not gaining an ounce until I tapered down to about 15mg/day. My eating habits are back to normal now with the same diet I'd had before I got sick. I've gained back about half the weight.

Humira was a bitch to get approved for. I'm in the independent market for insurance, because I'm self employed. I'm very much not indigent, but my insurance prescription benefits cap out at a few thousand dollars a year (the individual market plans virtually all do this), so Humira was going to come out of my pocket (to the tune of $2-3k a month, even after their assistance card). I called the Abbott Foundation, and although I was told I was "beyond their normal threshold" over the phone, I was nonetheless approved within several days of applying, and at no cost to me at all. I feel like I got lucky, and for my unexpected success I'm grateful. Maybe my quick mention of large student loan debt impacted the decision?

While I was waiting a month to get the Humira issue worked out, first fruitlessly with my insurance, then with the Foundation, my GI doctor told me to stay on the Prednisone, but didn't give me a lot of updated advice re: tapering. I self decided to bring myself down to 10mg/day (at 5mg taper a week), and she was shocked I was feeling fine and encouraged me to go back up to 20-25 mg/day until the Humira worked out. I declined, as I hate drugs, and I've been feeling mostly fine, with the exception of one loose-ish (but painless) stool once every ten days or so.

I'm hoping I stay healthy (and feeling as good as I have for the past two months) as I switch out of the Prednisone and into Humira. I'm also hoping that after a year of this, my GI doctor will let me switch off of Humira and into a less intense (read: injection-free) treatment.

In any case, I'm just introducing myself here, and I figure I'll be lurking over the next few months as my treatment progresses.

Have a great night.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Joey and :welcome:

Like I said to Jarod, I know you've already found the Humira Club thread! I hope for you too that the Humira works well and the injections hurt a LOT less. I hope you stay around and keep us posted on how you are progressing.

Welcome aboard!

Take care,
Dusty

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Hi Joey and welcome!! Glad to see you get that help from Abbott!! There are many on here who could use that type of guidance so stick around, you'll be a great asset. Hope the humira is your silver bullet:).

Hello Joey and welcome. You have found a great place to hang out for all kinds of fun and adventure to help endure this wonderful thing we call Crohn's. It has been a life-line for me since I found it a couple of months ago. People here are very supportive. Hope it is able to help you as much as it has me. Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride!

Hi Joey and welcome,

I'm only new too but have already received good advice from many people on this site. I am looking at starting Humira as of next week also. Living in Australia, I will be receiving this medication for free through our health system, so I can't imagine how hard it is financially for many of you others out there (like we don't have enough to bloody worry about already!!!). Please let me know how you are feeling on the Humira because to be honest I am scared stiff to start these injections.

Welcome again :)

Astra

Hi Joey
and welcome

really chuffed you got Humira! hope it works for you! good luck with the Pred taper too,
glad you found us, enjoy the forum!
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Welcome, Joey! :)

I read your post in the Humira Club too. The development of your disease and treatment so far sound similar to me, except I started experiencing symptoms over the summer last year and was diagnosed February of this year. I also had an abscess develop, which is how I ended up finding out I had Crohn's.

I hope the Humira works for you! I felt benefits from the medicine within a week, so hopefully as you taper off the Pred. it won't make much of a difference. I have heard from others tapering off Pred. that they experienced a lot of joint pains and stiffness that lasted for a little while even after completely coming off of it. So, not saying it will happen to you, but something to be aware of if you do start experiencing something similar to that. There are plenty of threads regarding that if it does hapenn, so you can look to them for advice :)

How did your colonoscopy results turn out? I think your course of treatment will be determined based on how your disease presents itself in your gut. For instance, I had fistulas and strictures with my Crohn's, so my doctor wants me on Humira for the rest of my life (unless a better medication comes along or a CURE!). Injections every other week for me wasn't enough, and I'm now on weekly shots as well as 75 mg/day of Imuran. So, you never know how much medication you might need to control this darned disease unfortunately! Hopefully Humira will work yours out just fine and then you can use Imuran or something as a maintenance med.

Anyway...glad you found us here. I see you have Facebook. Feel free to add me if you'd like :) See you around the forum!

Hi Marisa.

As I tapered down to where I am now on Prednisone, I suffered an occasional muscle cramp in my toe or leg, but they were brief. They usually only came up for a day or two right after a taper.

The colonoscopy wasn't able to be fully completed, because I was in such bad shape -- the GI doctor didn't want to risk a perforation and so stopped about halfway in. She told me to come back sometime in the fall to have another done. What the doctor did see, however, didn't reveal anything that required surgery or more than what she's prescribed, she said. I had a CT scan shortly thereafter before she prescribed the Humira, and she said it didn't change her diagnosis or raise any more alarms.

We'll see how this goes. Given that I'm feeling fine on just a little bit of Prednisone, I'm assuming (hoping) the Crohn's will be more manageable over time. I feel lucky that my bouts with it seem not to have lasted as long or been as untreatable as some others' on this forum.

Glad the Pred. taper doesn't seem to have affected you too much. I know some people have debilitating pain as they tapered. So, that's good :)

Sounds good about your colonoscopy too! Hopefully yours is just a mild case that can be treated simply and without too much/any complication.

The shots do get better over time too :) I'm pretty slender and thin, like you, and mine have actually gotten less painful over time (5 months in) after a few strange injection experiences where I had to readjust and press the pens down harder. Since I've started pressing them down harder and keeping them in a little longer than the 10 seconds recommended I've had no bruising, bleeding, leaking liquid, or swelling! The upside to Humira shots is it's only 10-12 seconds of your life, right? Better than the Remicade infusions where you have to sit there for several hours hooked up to an IV! ;)

You're really lucky to have been covered by Abbott for your shots. It's always good to hear some success stories when it comes to getting proper medical coverage.

Hey Joey, argh I don't know how you took four injections of humira! I had two and THAT was enough pain! I found this place about a year ago and it's answered so many questions for me and the guys here are a great support when things really suck.
Fingers crossed the humira starts to work