• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My fiancee has UC

Hi all,

My fiancee has been suffering from UC/Crohns for the past 4 years. He was originally diagnosed with UC in the summer of 2006 at 20 years old. After spending a few days in the hospital, he was released and had fully recovered from his flair in a month or so. He was on many medications that kept the flaring under control.

In 2008, he switched doctors due to location changes, and his new doc diagnosed him with Crohns. The doc started to wean him off his meds in the spring of 2009, since the doc thought that he did not need to be on all of them. However in the fall of 2009, my fiancee started to flair again. He was hospitalized three separate times during the winter of 2009-2010 and tried various medicines. He had allergic reactions to steriods, Remicaid, etc. In the spring of 2010, was re-diagnosed with UC by a different doctor. Unfortunately, around the same time he lost insurance coverage, and so he began on a clinical trial for UC since it was a free service. His situation has been so severe, however, that he has seen little to no improvement from the clinical trial. Instead, the clinical trial has given him some sort of arthritis that makes it painful for him to walk and be on his feet. In November of 2009, he weighed 210 pounds and now in August of 2010 he weighs in at 138 pounds at 6 feet tall.

We have been engaged since March 2009 and were supposed to be married in June of 2010. We decided in March of 2010 to put off the wedding to allow him to focus all of his energy on getting well. He has not gotten any better and struggles with depression. Luckily, we were just notified that he qualifies for financial aid from the hospital and was also given a Medicaid card. While these are wonderful blessings financially, we are having a hard time staying positive since his situation has been so bad for so long. He is meeting with a GI surgeon at the end of August to hopefully get the j-pouch surgery process started.

I am looking forward to reading all of your stories and learning from your experiences. While I myself am not suffering from UC, I am finding that I need to be around other people who understand these sorts of GI issues. It's hard to always be a positive support for a loved one when sometimes there seems to be little hope of things getting better.

Thanks for "listening."

UCfiancee

Hello,

I'm on here too seeking support because my husband has UC and he just got out of the hospital after a 3 week stay for a severe flare-up. I have no words of wisdom but I couldn't read without posting and saying that I hope that you find the support you are looking for here. I hope that with the new Medicaid and financial aid things will improve. You both have been through a lot.

Thank you for your post, kari. It is good to know that there is someone out there who understands what I'm going through! I hope your husband recovers quickly. Has he been able to find any medications that he responds well to?
Best wishes for you both,
UCfiancee

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi and :welcome:

I'm so sorry to hear you and your fiance are going through all this. Thank goodness for the financial aid to at least lessen some of the stress. You have found a wonderful place here for support and information. There are many of us hanging out here that are carers to loved ones whether they be partners, chidren, siblings, grandchildren and so on. Remember when you go to the GI at the end of August to take a list of questions with you, write them down as you go between and now and then. If you aren't sure what ask then feel to ask us and we give our suggestions. There will be others along that have had the surgery you speak of and will understand what you are both going through.

I hope you stick around and please keep us posted on how things are going.

Take care, :)
Dusty

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Hey fiancee, Dusty is absolutely right about the questions!! That can't be emphasized enough. Write down every little question no matter how silly it may seem at the time. I wish we had gotten that advice before we started this with our son. Welcome to you and please stick around!!

hi and welcome...
You dont have to have the disease to be here, there are many of us on here looking for support and someone that understand our frustration. We are all here to help each other out.

Astra

Hi fiancee
and welcome

and you are very welcome here even tho you're not a Crohnie!
your boyf is a very lucky man, a lesser woman would've walked away by now!
There is hope, and there will be light at the end of this very dark tunnel, honest!
hopefully the consult with the GI in August will get something sorted, fingers crossed, and yes! write everything down! any questions, ask us, we're the experts!
glad you found us, scream or vent here if you need to!
lotsa luv
Joan xxx