• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My experience with Crohn's

Hello everyone. Thought I'd introduce myself to the rest of the forum and tell you all a little bit about myself.

I'm a 28 y.o male diagnosed roughly 7 years ago with Crohn's disease. First started noticing some blood after bowel movements so got examined and referred to a gastro. They found a fissure/fistula and the colonoscopy/biopsy confirmed Crohn's. Over the past 7 years I've been off and on prescribed pharmaceutical medication such as immuran, methotrexate and prednisone. I've also had my fair share of flare ups, hospitalizations and tests. I also consider myself fortunate enough to have had significant periods of remission without the use of pharmaceuticals. My condition isn't great but it certainly could be so much worse. They still haven't cut anything out of me ! ;) I'm currently on 37.5 mg of Prednisone after a partial bowel obstruction that took me to hospital for a couple of nights. I'm on this course tapering off gradually for a month and then we'll see what happens.

On a personal note my experience with Crohn's has lead me down a path of self healing exploration I never could have imagined. After beginning a health science degree to try and help gain more knowledge and control over my own health I'm now in my second year of a Chinese Medicine Degree and working towards a life of helping others down the healing path. I wholeheartedly believe that our state of health represents the harmony (or lack of) between out physical, mental and spiritual spheres. My own profound personal experiences in these areas through lifestyle, diet and meditation have confirmed this. And it's only just the beginning.

Anyway, great to get back in touch with you all and I look forward to sharing experiences and knowledge along the way.

:goodluck:

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
Hi, jah, and welcome to the forum! It's nice to have you here. I would be very interested in hearing more about your studies in Chinese medicine, if you feel inclined to share here and there around the forum. :) A friend of mine has severe arthritis and has found relief through Chinese medicine that she had never found with pharmaceuticals. I am a health psych researcher which makes me want to see evidence -- but also very aware that there is much more going on with the body than the purely physical. It sounds like you have achieved a good balance for yourself by using all available means to help your Crohn's. Nice! I'd love to learn more.

Thanks kelly. Hopefully I'll get a chance to share some more about it.......when I manage to find some time away from studying it! ;)

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Jah and :welcome:

I get the impression from your post that you have been on this forum before so perhaps I should be saying welcome back! I'm with Kelly on this one and would also be interested to hear about your experiences and treatments. I wish you luck with your studies. It's good to see you here and I hope you stick around so we can learn from each other.

Take care,
Dusty

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Anyway, great to get back in touch with you all and I look forward to sharing experiences and knowledge along the way.
Hi Jah, welcome umm back!! I'm with Dusty, what do you mean?:) You seem upbeat and proactive which I think are probably two of the best factors when considering your health. I wish you the best in your crohn's journey and your studies. Keep posting so we can learn from you. Thanks for coming back!!!

Astra

Hi Jah
and welcome?

great that you're feeling well at the mo, I would love to hear about other alternatives too!
I'm a huge fan of acupuncture and osteopathy! I know they're not Chinese medicine per se, but they are an alternative to popping painkillers all day long for joint pains and headaches!
glad to have you here, see you around the forum!
lotsa luv
Joan xxx