• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pus filled bumps on the end and the edges of tongue

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Hi all, EJ has been having small pus filled bumps on the end and the edges of his tongue. I have had these things sparesly over the years but he gets them often, maybe two a week or more. They are more of an irritation than anything but he's really beginning to be upset by them.

Just curious if they could be crohn's related or if something else is going on there? Thanks!!

Dallies

Dragonfly
I can't answer your question Dex, but I want to send EJ the biggest hug I've got. :hug: xxxxxxxxxxxx

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hey Dex,

Are they mouth ulcers? There is a thread in Crohns related polls. You probably already know that it is not uncommon for people to suffer these as an EIM of their Crohns and I know that periodically on this forum I have read of posters suffering with them.

I hope EJ is OK, he is isn't he???

HTH, :)
Dusty

Dexky

I don't think I'd call them ulcers. They look more like a large white-head on top of a pimple.

He is physically doing well. It's just these things are really beginning to annoy him and they have persisted for a while. I think everybody probably has these from time to time but he's getting them quite often.

Hi all, EJ has been having small pus filled bumps on the end and the edges of his tongue. I have had these things sparesly over the years but he gets them often, maybe two a week or more. They are more of an irritation than anything but he's really beginning to be upset by them.

Just curious if they could be crohn's related or if something else is going on there? Thanks!!
Hiya not not heard of them having pus in them but my daughter had lump with her flare up a few years ago. Sue x:confused:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
That is what a mouth ulcer does look like. Go to the thread and have a look at what has been helpful for others with the problem. If you really don't think that is what they are it might be worth just having the doc look at them. Also he would be immunosuppressed to some extent so perhaps they are occurring due to this. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Astra

Hiya Mark

Yes I do!
it's a sure sign of being 'run down' and the body is lacking in vitamins and nutrients, and is defo a Crohnie thang!
they usually go on their own tho
make sure EJ is getting enough rest!
xxx

Mark - i just googled images of mouth ulcers.. a lot of them look just like you describe, red, with a white area in the middle.. some of them look horrendous! hopefully EJ only has little ones - there are lots of over the counter preps you can buy which soothe them, and also manuka honey has been mentioned on one of the sites i found.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
My first thought is that they're inflamed taste buds.
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/inflamed-taste-buds.html

But even in that link it still says that its a good idea to talk to your doctor about it if its persistent or wont go away etc.

I also wonder if EJ has had chickenpox before that maybe its coming back in a different form because chickenpox is a form of herpes that our body constantly suppresses but when your immune system is too weak to control it, you may get it again but its not always itchy bumps over your whole body and could just be in the mouth.

Either way, no harm in showing the doc. Its always a good idea to talk to the doc about anything that affects your life in a negative way, even if you don't think its that bad.

I've noticed that i get those bumps too on my tongue in the past year, i hate them. yet i have no idea if they are crohn's related. but they do say that crohn's can affect any part of the digestive system even the mouth so idk.

Dexky

Thank you all!! After reading and talking to you all, we have started EJ on an extra B complex vitamin. We were not able to see our ped yesterday but she is a family friend so we will hear from her soon.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Mark I have had these on and off many years of my life. Yes they hurt but the only one who doesnt suffer is my husband because I can't talk lol. Mine were only one a time til I was on Flaygl, because it causes ulcers too. Alot of things can cause it but it is defo a Crohn's side effect!

Hi,

I understand that must be frustrating to have! I remember I've had a few on my tongue (like EJ does) over the years, and they feel very different to a mouth ulcer inside my cheek/lip. Could well be inflamed taste buds, like Crabby suggests. That is what I concluded with the last time I had it. :) Does EJ have mouth ulcers as well as the tongue "ulcers"? To me it sounds like they can be related to the Crohn's, especially since he has so many. I really hope you find a remedy for that. The poor boy shouldn't have to suffer like that.

Give him a big hug from me! :)

Hey Dex!

It has been quite a long time since I had the sore things in my mouth, however, I believe the doctor prescribed me some type of lozenge thing and that helped them out. It was some special thing. I think mine were caused by some medicine, but again, it's been about 11 years so I don't remember!!! Sorry! Hope you and EJ are doing well!

ameslouise

I have been getting them lately at the tip of my tongue - looks like a zit and is VERY PAINFUL. Did I mention how painful they are? Takes several days to go away and nothing seems to help the pain, not orajel or ambesol.

I hope EJ's aren't as painful as mine are! My doc said mouth sores and ulcers are def an autoimmune thing.

- Amy

Dexky

Yes Amy that's exactly what they look like but just the whitehead part of a zit. There's no redness to them. He's been popping them and then using hydrogen peroxide on q-tips to clean them out. Do you take anything for them? or just deal with them?

Sophia, no EJ only has the tongue sores. That's why I was reluctant to call them ulcers. They don't fit my perception of an ulcer but are like what Amy described.

Manzy, I don't think EJ's would have anything to do with his meds. He's been on the same meds since January. I guess it's still possible but I hope not because his crohns symptoms have been very minor on them.

I hope I haven't alarmed anyone. EJ has been feeling very well lately. These things are just an annoyance and after having several of them, he became upset which of course made me upset. Thank you all for your advice and concern. You guys are the best!!!

Sophia, no EJ only has the tongue sores. That's why I was reluctant to call them ulcers. They don't fit my perception of an ulcer but are like what Amy described.
Yep, I know exactly what you mean. I've had them in the past, too. Painful stuff. Poor thing to get many of those - not fair! :( Hope the doctor can find a way to treat them? I never used a remedy for them as I only had one at a time, and not very frequently.

Let us know if you figure something out, would be very interesting to hear!

Dexky

Thanks Sherlock...er Dusty!! I read through Penny's thread, still no definitive answers but we are trying the hp rinse and the B vits for now. Gonna give it a few days and see how it goes. Deb is also emailing the GI at Vandy just to see what they say. Will let you all know.

Again to all Thank You and no worries about EJ cause he feels great and acts just like a 10 yr old boy should. I'm glad he's back in school now so all his buddies can wear off some of that energy before I come dragging in the door at night :).

I get something fairly similar, in that they start as some kind of white head but then turn into a coldsore, not on my tonuge though on my lip ! I have one right now, so am currently walking around with my hand over my mouth constantly.

Hope you get some answers. glad he is doing well apart from this

x

Hey Mark! I was just talking to my mom last week about mouth ulcers because I could feel some in my throat when she and my dad came up to visit. I wasn't worried about them (I've had them before and like others have said tend to go away on their own), but asa mother, of course, she worries. So, she asked the doctor she works for (she's a nurse) what to do and he suggested the B complex as well and also to find a non-alcoholic mouth wash and rinse a couple times a day. He says it's an annoyance of the Crohn's, as I knew, and others have mentioned as well.

Sounds like you're going in the right direction though! Hope they clear up soon! :)

ameslouise

Mark - Does popping them help relieve the pain?!?! Mine have been on the tip of my tongue and at times I want to bite them off. If popping them helps, I will try that next time....

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
My Cankers dont always have a head so to speak. Sometimes just really sore on the side of my tongue. Hurts and it is Crohn's related...better yet what isn't?

Dexky

Marisa, he has had no new ones (knock on wood) since we started the B's.

Amy, EJ has been popping his with a plastic dental tool on those little floss tools. He then takes a q-tip soaked in hyd. per. and cleans them out. I've been making him rinse with an hp based mouthwash after he eats also. Nothing new so maybe it's working. We'll see.

Dexky

Hi all, it's been two weeks and a few have asked me about EJ's tongue sores. I am happy to say that he has had no more since we started him on the B-complex. It is called NatureMade B-Complex. It also provides 500% vit. C. He also washes his mouth out a couple of times a day with Scope White. It is still an alcohol based mw but it has some hydrogen peroxide in it as well. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!! Thanks for all the replies!!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
YAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!! That is so good hear Dex. I so hope it stays that way for EJ. :):):):):):) Continue to keep us posted!

Dusty.