Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Poor stoma material technology

08-04-2010, 12:13 PM   #1
Jer's Girl

Poor stoma material technology

Or does anyone else think the technology of these things should be better already? I mean, a plastic zip lock baggy with a sticker attached that you have to glue onto yourself is the best that anyone could come up with for people with stomas? They need to try a bit harder I think. There has got to be something better they could do for us.
08-04-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
Nyx

My Support Groups:
You'd think...but....how about this?

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6752754.html

Bit weird, but might be better than a bag....not sure about electrical current in my butt though...lol

Crohn's Diagnosis: May 2006
Current meds: none
Surgeries: Colostomy, December 2009

"Never trust a fart." Jack Nicholson, The Bucket List

Oscar is awesome! Loving my life with my stoma (with a hint of poo)!!

08-04-2010, 02:02 PM   #3
Jeff D.

Before I had surgery I asked my GI if they could just put a flange in my rectum with a string that I could pull to defecate. He told me, "NO".haha
08-04-2010, 03:26 PM   #4
Jer's Girl

Wow Cindy, that sounds complicated!

Jeff, we would call that a "body flush". Scientists, get on it!
08-04-2010, 09:41 PM   #5
acg101

Jer's - I was wondering myself how come technology still amounts to a bag glued to our bodies - and I did some research and there were few patent, one designed in 1986 as an implant with internal collection but did not work because of rejection issues.
Jeff and Nyx are funny though, I would not want electricity in my butt, lol

1. Diagnosed with Crohn's UC 1995
2. Flagyl/Cipro Imuran in 80%remission 1997 2005
3. Used 5mp, asacol, 6mp, remicade, imuran, Cimzia, entocourt, Flagyl/Cipro and enemas/suppositories until 2010 with periodic relief.
4. July 9th 2010 total ProctoCollectomy surgery! Free at Last!
08-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #6
CDDad

I came across this a few weeks ago and have been meaning to find it again for this thread - here it is:
http://www.ostomycure.com/

Looks like a titanium stoma. They mention the ileum, so I suppose it's for Ileostomies.

Info is very sketchy on the website, but they mention clinical trials until mid 2010. Does not look like it's been updated in a while so maybe it did not work out.
On Protonix and Humira.
08-11-2010, 09:48 PM   #7
Nyx

My Support Groups:
I came across this a few weeks ago and have been meaning to find it again for this thread - here it is:
http://www.ostomycure.com/

Looks like a titanium stoma. They mention the ileum, so I suppose it's for Ileostomies.

Info is very sketchy on the website, but they mention clinical trials until mid 2010. Does not look like it's been updated in a while so maybe it did not work out.
Too bad I have a colostomy...I could have gotten into a titanium stoma....lol
08-11-2010, 10:03 PM   #8
Jeff D.

A ti stoma would be cool.

Dan I'm not talking about electricity in my butt but like a nylon string which I could just pull and empty. It's nylon so it would be easy to clean. I could imagine a problem if the nylon rope was pulled at the wrong time on accident.
08-12-2010, 04:52 PM   #9
acg101

hahaha Jeff - I was just imagining for a moment holding the nylon string and pulling on it as I did pull on my Hollister 'security belt' .. you can imagine .. hahaha
I was reading some of these patents Nyx forwarded to us and there are some wild ideas there. At the bottom of each page is a box by google "Ostomy Supplies" hahaha
08-12-2010, 09:31 PM   #10
Jeff D.

hahaha

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Poor stoma material technology