• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My story

Hello my name is Linda and I have been suffering for 22 years with Crohn's, and IBS for 27 years. After the birth of my last child I developed diarrhea which was a relief from the IBS symptoms, that I developed at 23 year of age. After many doctors and tests, I was told that they didn't know what was wrong with me and could I control my symptoms with food. I really couldn't and for the next 14 years I had diarrhea. That's when my boss approached me and said, I really needed to address my problem, it was interfering with my job. I found a doctor who finally discovered that I had Crohn's. With the right medicine and a little time I felt like I was cured. I still had problems and started to monitor what I ate and have since found out that I am gluten intolerant and cannot eat more foods than I can name. Because of years of not knowing I had Crohn's, I have a stricture of the ileum and the terminal ileum, which is part of the reason for some of my food restrictions. At the moment I have been in a flare for 8 weeks, I have taken a 6 day steroid treatment, which didn't help and waiting for the doctor to return from an emergency. My life is usually manageable and I joined to feel like I not alone in my struggles.

Last edited:

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi Linda, you found it!!! Glad you figured it out and joined us. My story is alot like yours, my worst flare was in my early 30's not long after my one and only child was born. I had on and off problems but thought is was the flu or stomach aches. I thought I too was gluten intollerant and turns out after trying all the foods it caused me to constipate. That was after my second surgery.

I am assuming you have had no surgeries? The question never came up? Being on steroids in high doses usually works but a not nice Drug. Hopefully you are on high amounts of Calcium and Vitamin D3. You are not alone, you found here a great bunch of information and people who are just like you!

We vent, laugh, help one another out. Flares are not fun, I am fighting one myself but tolerable. Waiting for a new GI referral.

Welcome, hope you join us and keep us posted!!!

Thanks

No, I haven't had any surgeries to remove remove the Crohn's. I had one exploratory surgery when I was in the hospital for a obstruction, but Dr. said I had too much inflammation. And that's the last time I was in the hospital, he said another obstruction and they would have to remove part.. :(

Thank you for the welcome.

Regular Joe

Hi Linda,

Welcome to the forum. And hey - you're a nextdoor neighbor. Are you north or south Michigan?

Joe

Hi Linda and welcome to the forum!

I'm not that far from you either....and I also lived in Port Huron for ten years,
before coming back to Canada.

I'm sure you will make lots of friends here who
all understand what you're going through.

Welcoming hugs~Nancy

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Linda and :welcome:

I'm glad you found us and you certainly aren't alone! I hope things settle down for you but if they don't and you end up requiring surgery it may not be so bad. My daughter has had a resection and in her case it has allowed her remain in remission for 4 years and still going. This is a great place with heaps of friendly and knowledgeable people and you will find many here that understand exactly what you are experiencing.

Welcome aboard!

Take care, :)
Dusty

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Hey Linda, welcome!! Hope you find this place feels like home!! I have. Stick around and good luck!!

Astra

Hi Linda
and welcome

Yes, your story is like mine, dx with IBS for over 15 years, scarring and strictures forming in terminal ileum cos not on any appropriate meds, and so on!
glad you found us, lots of friends on here for you, you're no longer alone!
Gorgeous photo, Linda you are hot!!
lotsa luv
Joan xxx