Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » What alcohol do people with crohns drink?

08-05-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
Crohns1992

What alcohol do people with crohns drink?

I'm only 18 so obviously I'm (meant to be) in my prime. As I am still young I still like to go out and drink with my friends around town.

With Crohns, as we all know drinking is debatable. But being the over optimist I am I want to suffer Crohns and drink with minimal amount of worries.

I tend to drink socially around town once a month (after pay day). Mostly I drink spirits like whiskey, sambuka and Goldschlargger.

My question is, what do you drink, how much and does it affect your body. Thanks

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...?id=1574747546

Lewis
08-05-2010, 02:22 PM   #2
scifi-enthusiast

Well with me the last time I drank I was put in the hospital 2 weeks later. So, I quit drinking altogether. It's been nearly 4 months since I've had a drop of alcohol.
Previous Meds: Pentasa (didn't work)
Currently on SSD & SSI
08-05-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
MapleLeafGirl

I quit drinking too. Just not worth it anymore. In the past though, drinks with vodka tended to bother me way less.

Diagnosed: August 2006
Current Meds: Imuran (125 mg), Budesonide (9 mg)
08-05-2010, 03:04 PM   #4
Crohns08

I've had better luck with alcohols that aren't sugary. I'd also advise to stay away from beer since they have a lot of allergens in them. As always though, crohn's is trial and error, so what may do well with me, might not for you.
Yoga
Vitamin D
Gabapentin
SCD Multivitamin
Tums
Percocet
60 mg pred tapering weekly
Protonix
Levofloxin
Surgeries:
09/2011 - Draining an Abcess the size of a lemon!
10/2011 - Same abcess, different approach this time, open incision!

Add Me on Facebook!
08-05-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
I drank in college, but noticed over the past several years since graduating and before I was diagnosed the smell and flavor of any type of alcohol was completely unappealing to me. I don't know if it's due to the fact that now that the social pressures to drink are gone or if it has anything to do with Crohn's. I remember the few times I did drink after college I would get a stomachache. So, perhaps I developed a distaste for alcohol because my body didn't like it!

I would say be careful with drinking. I've heard a few on here say they can have a couple drinks, but nothing over the top and not all the time. Though it depends on what medications you are on as well. Some you absolutely should not consume alcohol with. I would consult a doctor before consuming any alcohol.
January 2014 - adopted a mostly Paleo diet
May 2015 - still in remission!

Currently Taking
Humira - 40mg/week
Imuran - 125 mg/day
Calcium magnesium citrate
Fermented cod liver oil/butter blend
Culturelle probiotics
Vitamin D
Vitamin C
Biotin
Allegra
08-05-2010, 03:05 PM   #6
CrohnsHobo

Don't really drink anymore. Had a beer on my birthday back in June and that was the last. I handled it OK with my Crohn's for many years. Now not so much, and I hate feel like crap the next day.

Past Failed Treatments:
Prednisone
Remicade
Asacol/Lialda
6 MP
Cipro/Flagyl
Humira
Methotrexate
Cimzia
Azothiropine
Entyvio
Augmentin
Stelara
08-05-2010, 03:18 PM   #7
katiesue1506

I don't drink. I'm doing enough damage to my liver with the drugs I'm on.
08-05-2010, 04:00 PM   #8
Claire617

My Support Groups:
Goldschlargger? Whisky? Sambuka? Friggin heck I'd be on the floor on a night out with that stuff, too much of a lightweight lol Honestly I used to get sloshed when I was in remission and didn't suffer from it at all however even though I don't suffer from it crohns wise, I'm a lot more wary now, so I tend to drink a lot less alcohol and that's been diluted with lemonade or coke just as a precaution, or pitchers from whetherspoons because they've got a load of cranberry juice etc in

http://www.facebook.com/people/Emma-...889?ref=search
08-05-2010, 04:22 PM   #9
Sue

Hi same here don't drink much now, but do agree re:larger full of alsorts and upsets lots of people even without Crohn's. Try alcopops in moderation thow xx

Crohn's 29 years diagnosed 22years
2 resection last one in March
galblader out in June
meds: questran, omeprazole,
due to start Azathiaprine
loperamide, vits
08-05-2010, 04:37 PM   #10
Guest555

Vodka with coke.
08-05-2010, 04:40 PM   #11
EthanPSU

My Support Groups:
I ussually go with the coke and rum or coke and 151. But I really drink whatever is infront of me. From beer to tequilla, ive drank it all with crohns.

Only down side I get is I need to really go to the bathroom the next morning ontop of my hangover lol but thats about it.

I am in the midst of college so I am a heavy drinker when there. And I go back in 10 days! cant wait!
08-05-2010, 06:11 PM   #12
Crohns1992

Well Claire you have Crohns...we are all pretty lightweight tbf, until you start with my friends XD but so far I have determined that clear spirits are safer to drink with Crohns, but if you have chocolate before it will line your stomach to stop alcohol entering the bloodstream.

Ethan, to help with your hangover in the morning have some coke once you are sovereigns enough to know what you are doing. It helps me tbh. And what is 151?

It's a shame how many people cannot drink due to this disease.

Thanks for all the advice all xx
08-05-2010, 06:24 PM   #13
scifi-enthusiast

It also helps to chug down a glass of water or two before going to sleep, but a lot of times people are too drunk to remember to.
08-05-2010, 06:42 PM   #14
ChefShazzy

...151?? :S Urggggg...

I don't drink anymore, either. I'm not supposed to have alcohol with methotrexate. I did have 3 drinks once while taking mtx... and I felt so hammered and even ended up throwing up. Not a good scene...
Meds: Double-dose of Remicade, every 6 weeks
*I'm going to start saying I'm in REMISSION now! Three years since my last hospitalization!*
08-05-2010, 06:50 PM   #15
Crohns1992

It also helps to chug down a glass of water or two before going to sleep, but a lot of times people are too drunk to remember to.
I used to drink water but the coke is flat, and it tastes better than water. But water is just as good
08-05-2010, 07:01 PM   #16
Trev

My Support Groups:
my favorite poison was Sambuka, i had a still and brewed my own, havent had a drink for 9 years because of crohns. still have some sambuka and whisky put away in case one day i can drink again.
08-05-2010, 07:13 PM   #17
EthanPSU

My Support Groups:
Barcadi 151....The strongest legal alcohal lol. I like the taste of it when its mixed...

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...1t:429,r:0,s:0

And for hangouver I usually drink Vitamin Water....Very good
08-05-2010, 09:30 PM   #18
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
In my case, I do not find it at all a shame that I don't drink anymore. I don't miss it a day!
08-06-2010, 04:09 AM   #19
rygon

My Support Groups:
I still drink. Find beer and whisky plays my stomach up, so stick to cider and wine now (wont drink alcopops). Will drink vodka with orange juice or coke (although dont really like coke). Still do tequila, jagers and sambuca tho.
08-06-2010, 06:35 AM   #20
DustyKat
Super Moderator

^^^^Hmmmm...........that's sounding suspiciously like Roo........are you sure you two aren't hanging out together!
08-06-2010, 09:37 AM   #21
Astra

My Support Groups:
I hardly drink now but if I do, Vodka and lemonade or anything clear
beer, wine and lager, or alcopop sugary crap cripples me!
I was young once ya know, I know I'm a dinosaur now, but take it easy cos you'll pay when you get to my age, prevention rather than cure, remember that!
and depending on your meds, your liver will be miserable and working overtime!

Joan

Dx Crohn's in TI 2005 symptoms for 15 years prior

BEEN ON -Azathioprine, 6MP, Prednisolone, Pentasa, Budesonide, Metronidazole, Humira, Methotrexate,

NOW ON -Amitriptyline 25mg
21/02/14 Right hemicolectomy surgery

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...4208290&ref=ts

No-one should make you feel inferior without your consent!

08-08-2010, 10:19 AM   #22
Sophia

My Support Groups:
Hiya,

Completely understand that you want to drink every once in a while!

I haven't been drinking for a few months as I was feeling a bit worse, but I've tried the occasional glass of wine now. I get wines that are very low in sugar, for example one of the white wines I tried had 0.3 grams per liter. I seem to be fine as long as I don't drink the whole bottle. Oh how things have changed with Crohn's!!!

xoxo
08-14-2010, 08:20 AM   #23
debs1983

I drink very rare

number 1, since crohns my liver isnt fully normal
number 2, I have been diagnosed with gallstones and my liver apparantly isnt very happy

I usually stick to my fave tia maria, usually I'm fine but about 2 wks ago gave me lots of tummy pain and wind

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...p?id=661026431
08-14-2010, 09:38 AM   #24
Chris1984

i havent had a drop in around 2 years now. but i used to drink A LOT in my younger days...it was always tequila, jagermeister and budweiser. in a night i had no problem finishing a fifth and 6-8 beers. probably 90% of the time i would be sick the next day or two but i was havin too much fun to stop. after about 5 or 6 years of drinking i just one day decided that i was going to quit because i was starting to get very sick and unhealthy....best decision ive ever made, since i quit ive been able to keep my symptoms, for the most part, under control so im pretty sure drinking was playing a toll on the crohns.
Tried Meds
Xifaxan - did absolutely nothing
Pentasa - put me in the hospital with abdominal pain.
Entocort EC - pretty much did nothing.
08-16-2010, 10:24 AM   #25
Garym85

I work for Guinness and Smirnoff so part of my daily job is to drink Guinness.

Thankfully I dont see any side effects from Drinking alcohol- with the exception of drinking too much, Everyone sees side effects then.
08-17-2010, 10:32 AM   #26
ladyB

I found a shot or two of nearly anything would 'calm' my stomach down and allow me to do things and activities I normally wouldn't be able to do.
But I took it way overboard after my Gram passed away.
I did notice after I quit drinking I seemed to do much better without the alcohol.
I did'nt have as many accidents and I felt generally better.
I guess moderation is the key.
08-17-2010, 08:41 PM   #27
rena_isis13

My Support Groups:
I used to always drink Kaluha and coke (love that stuff mmm) but now I find myself running to the loo after the second glass. Also drank alcopops, with the same result. Now I find that I'm fine with wine (if I don't drink the whole bottle on my own) but I'm a sucker for the sweet and bubbly ones so there goes the sugar intake lol. But its only maybe once a fortnight or so, if I go out for dinner I'll have a glass or 2.
08-18-2010, 08:22 AM   #28
bobby.parker

Beer always seems to disagree with me, usually ok with a few pints! But I tend to be okay on liquors! I don't really drink too much my self anyways, I never intend to get drunk anyways!
08-19-2010, 09:35 AM   #29
magnetman

I used to drink alot of beer and since I now crohns beer is out and Burbon is in.
Beer was to hard on my system, I never drank excessively but none the less it would leave it's mark.

I'm not sure any studies were ever done with a crohns patient about the use of alcohol but if you are gont to drink, drink responsible
08-19-2010, 11:44 AM   #30
teeny5

My Support Groups:
I can't drink beer usually. It makes me feel so bloated and awful.

I usually stick to vodka and wine.

Previous meds: Sulfasalazine, Asacol, Rowasa, Pentasa, Entocort.

"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. -Ralph Waldo Emerson"

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » What alcohol do people with crohns drink?