• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi there!

I was diagnosed with Crohns January 08, following several months of being what I would call fairly ill (constant pain, fevers, horrific night sweats, weight loss 5stone 8 at my lowest, bad constipation, tiredness...all the usual suspects). That said, it took me a few months to actually go and see a doctor!
After a couple of hospital admissions during December 07, I had a CT scan just after the new year and they found a part of my small bowel had started to perforate. I was taken to surgery the following day, and was warned that because I was so ill my recovery would be slow, I would spend time in High Dependancy after the op, more than likely have an illeostomy bag blah blah.

The good news is, I was taken back to the ward I had been on, was off morphine in 36 hours, out of my bed in the same time, no illeostomy bag, and was home within 8 days of surgery (sooner than the 'normal' expected hospital recovery time). Despite having just had a major operation I felt so well!!
I've so far managed to avoid most meds, I regularly take loperamide, (immodium), B12 injections every 3 months, and have ongoing treatment for a severe vit d deficiency, but aside from a 10 day prednisolone course I have been 'drug free' since surgery.
I've had a bad couple of months lately (though nothing as bad as I was back in 07) and had a CT scan last week, getting my results tuesday next week.

Anyway, Im waffling now, but just to add, I'm 30 years old and was diagnosed at birth with mild spinabifida. That complicates things a little bt as I have never had 'regular' or 'normal' bowel habits due to nerve damage, I also self catheterise and have done since I was 6.
The fact I recovered so fast from the re-section, I put down to being used to being in hospitals and having surgery (I probably didnt really understand the full seriousness of how ill I actually was).
The spinabifida means it can be even more difficult to say whether the Crohns is 'bad' or Im just having an off day as anyone with this type of spinabifida. It also makes using the toilet a more 'urgent' need than usually associated with Crohns, which can be difficult!!!

Aside from all that, Im from the UK, I work full time, have some wonderful friends and family, I enjoy being outdoors, music and good nights out (even though I suffer the day after!) I live with my cat and generally just like having a laugh :)

I learned fast in January 08, what doesnt kill you, will for sure make you stronger. Im a different person after going through what I went through leading up to surgery (some may for the worst too haha!)

Positivity is the way forward, as nasty an illness as IBD's are, don't let own you or run your life as much as you can!!

I've talked far too much now and you're probably all asleep. X

Hello :)
It was good to read your story and to feel how positive you are about everything!
haha and I love your Quote!!!

Ria x

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
TP, none of that is funny yet somehow you made me smile:). I really like the attitude. All the best to you. Welcome and stick around!!!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi tp and :welcome:

It's good to see you here. Roo certainly changed in the lead up to and after her op and she also has a very positive and you just have to get on with it attitude!

I hope you stick around here as you have so much to offer and it is a friendly and supportive place to hang out.

Welcome aboard!

All the best, :)
Dusty

Astra

Hi TP
and welcome fellow Brit

Yes you have had a lot going on and it's good to see that you're on the mend!
glad you found us, lots of friends here for you, and I love Gene Hunt too!
lotsa luv
Joan xxx