• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Price for surgery?

Does any one have any ideas on the price for the surgery for UC? My boyfriend has been living with UC for going on three years now and is now looking into the surgery because nothing else is working for him. The only think is he currently doesn't have insurance. Does anyone have any ideas on how much the surgery cost? Thanks in advance!

Hi Worried,

I have been a crohnie since the age of 12 and had many surgeries for it. I use to be a medical biller for a local hospital for 4 yrs. where I live so I can offer some suggestions.

Go to the business office of the hospital and request an uncompensated care form (government form). All hospitals have these forms. What it is--a form that folks who don't have insurance fill out. You have to provide a copy of your W2, proof of residency, proof of who you are and whatever else is required (some rules may have changed since I've left) and based upon his income, he will either be responsible for 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, or none of his hospital bill. The same goes for his doctors. They have these forms as well. Just call the office and speak to someone in the billing dept. as different rules will apply based upon his income.

All hospitals have funds set aside yearly for folks who have no insurance. They have to write off a certain amount (aka taking a loss). It's best to do this before he goes in for surgery so it won't be as stressful.

Have him call the hospital he will be going to and set up an appointment with the billing manager or who ever is in charge of self pay accounts.

Prices vary for surgeries and it's really hard to pinpoint how much it will cost b/c the surgeon won't know what he's dealing with until he goes in to see what's going on. I use to get calls like that all the time and this is what we'd have to tell patients. Ball park figure you'd be looking at over $3000 but that's not including hrly.room rate, anesthesia, use of instruments, medical personnel, recovery room, etc. There is so much involved. Then there's the surgeon's fee as well.

I hope this helps you out somewhat. Definitely ask for the UCC (uncompensated care form) it's good for an entire yr. at the hospital should he have to go back there for more treatment. Good luck to you both. ~Gutless Wonder PS: feel free to PM anytime if you have questions.