• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira Syringe

Hi everyone!

I been using the Himira autopen for a little over 1 year. The bee sting like jab was getting to me, so I decided to give the prefilled syringe a try. The syringe has a .5" 27aug needle and is very easy to use. It is much gentler than the pen. The only discomfort comes from the slight burn of the meds. I highly recommend it to anyone on Humira.

Dan

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
HI Dan!! Long time no see! Seems like I was the only one who did the syringes, and they were easier for me since needles dont even phase me. Once in a while I would freeze the area and leave the syringe out so it is not so cold. Pinching the area helped me too. Good luck hope it works better for ya! You still get a bit of a sting,that is from the Humira itself. Let me know if it works better!

I've never tried the pen myself, but I do like the syringes in that you can control how long it takes the medication to go in. Sometimes I need to stop for a couple seconds because of the stinging.

I've used both, prefer the syringes too. That pen is convenient, but can be a little scary, how fast it comes out and no way to stop it. I am a bit of a control freak, so maybe that might have something to do with it.

The pen is great, just take it out of the fridge and leave to warm up to room temp for 20mins before injecting. No prob's.

the pen was painful for me because of the force that the needle came out with, and on several occasions, half the medicine would just leak all over my skin because i'm very thin and have a hard time pinching enough skin for it to go into. but i am also afraid to give myself an injection. i have no problems with needles...i just can't do it to myself for some reason

I prefer the syringe. The autopens were painfull and left terrible bruises on me. The first time I did the shot I was supprised that it didn't even hurt. I was braced for the pen pain and thought the shot would feel the same but it was great. Will never go back to the pen!

I was prescribed the Humira pen to begin with and didn't know there was an option. I hated injecting 'cause it hurt so bad, even if I let it sit out for 20 minutes.

Then I changed pharmacies and they gave me the syringe on accident, and I will never go back! I don't even feel the needle, but I can control how fast the medication goes in (the part that hurts) and that makes such a difference. I just warm it in my hands for a few minutes before.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I was prescribed the Humira pen to begin with and didn't know there was an option. I hated injecting 'cause it hurt so bad, even if I let it sit out for 20 minutes.

Then I changed pharmacies and they gave me the syringe on accident, and I will never go back! I don't even feel the needle, but I can control how fast the medication goes in (the part that hurts) and that makes such a difference. I just warm it in my hands for a few minutes before.
Welcome!! I see you have joined our forum and it would be great if you could post your story on the Your STory thread and tell us how you found us and how long you have had IBD? Glad you are here!

I would of thought the pens would hurt more too so I opted for the syringes, and I found the belly the less painful (have more than I wanted lol) and on the legs I used a freezer pack just before. Welcome!

I started with the pens, but have been using the Syringes for a few months. I don't really care for either of them.

They don't hurt, I just find having to jab either side of my belly (Metho and Humira) once a week a gigantic hassle. It only takes a few minutes but after six months of jabbing myself I am sick of it.

Welcome!! I see you have joined our forum and it would be great if you could post your story on the Your STory thread and tell us how you found us and how long you have had IBD? Glad you are here!

I would of thought the pens would hurt more too so I opted for the syringes, and I found the belly the less painful (have more than I wanted lol) and on the legs I used a freezer pack just before. Welcome!

Thanks for the welcome! I did post my story a while back. I also mentioned that I'm more of a lurker, so since I joined I've pretty much just been reading other posts.

I'm going in for my first 4 shots today. A full attack of 160 mg of Humira. My GI will be doing the first 2 and then I will do the next 2. I've been up since 5 am as I didn't sleep too well. Probably nerves. My appointment is at 11.00 am. And it's going to hit 41 degrees celsius today. Going to try a little breakfast today. Maybe some toast or quaker oats..... hmmm.....Ok I'm rambling.......:boring:

Thanks Joan.

Just got back. The GI did the first 2 injections which stung awfully and I did the next 2 but didn't feel a thing. He said I did them fine. I felt a little dizzy afterwards so the nurse made me a cup of tea and we chatted a while until I was ok to leave. Not sure what I expected to feel but I feel ok about the whole thing. Those few seconds of stinging far outweigh the days and weeks of feeling like you have been shagged by a horse and then trampled on after horsey has finished his dirty deed. Anyway, I digress, I was hoping to cartwheel all the way home but maybe I should wait a whle to really feel the positive effects.

By the way, my name is Costas. I don't think I mentioned that anywhere.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hey Costas,

Good to hear that everything went well today and I hope it continues that way. YAY!

Take care, :)
Dusty

My hubby started on the prefilled pens 2 weeks ago he did his second one today, says he feels really tired today, hope he feels better tomorow. Peggy

I am often very tired after I take mine, sometimes get a headache too. I try to make sure I have a "free" evening the days I do mine so I can just lay around...

I just started Humira on Monday. My GI had me come in to show me how to inject myself. I am embarrassed to say I wasted the first one by shooting it all over me and the treatment room. Don't ask me how I did it. But I did. So I had to use one of the ones from my starter pack that was for the two shots in 15 days. They ordered a replacement for the one I destroyed. One f my most embarrassing moments for sure.

The doctor did the first one that actually went in to my stomach like it's supposed to. I did the other three the correct way. I didn't feel much of anything from the injections. A bit of a sting on the first one. I was tired the rest of the day and had a bit of a headache but that's about it I haven't had any other type of reaction thus far.

I have been on remicade for the last 18 months. My new GI wanted to try humira because I have basically been sick with sinus and upper respiratory infections the entire 18 months. I also developed severe joint and muscle pain that just kept getting
increasingly worse with each infusion. It worked wonders on my crohn's symptoms. My
last colonoscopy showed no active inflammation. Just couldn't get passed the side effects.