Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Whatcha Drinkin to help your IBD?

11-16-2006, 05:07 PM   #1
tonya_n_ky

Whatcha Drinkin to help your IBD?

Was just wanting to ask what the best drinks are for "us"? I know we need a lot of water or Gatorade type drinks..but any other ideas?
11-16-2006, 07:12 PM   #2
Jeff D.

Take lemons and drink it straight with water, no sugar. It is hard to drink at first but beats Mike's hard lemonaid.LOL But seriously that stuff will kill any bad bacteria. It gets rid of a cold in a flash.
11-16-2006, 08:31 PM   #3
mikeyarmo
Co-Founder

Any 100% fruit juices are good. If you can juice them yourself that is best, but if not just make sure they are 100% fruity juice. Anything that says cocktail on it is not pure fruit juice, and has a lot more sugar in it. It is best if there is some pulp (solid-looking matter) in the beverage also. A healthfood store probably has a better supply than the local supermarket (depending on where you live that is).
11-16-2006, 08:36 PM   #4
DannyB

I usually just stick to H20 but I take nestle clinutren supplements to take aswell.
11-16-2006, 10:42 PM   #5
tonya_n_ky

Jeff, I'm trying to stay away from the "hard" lemonade, lol. but I do like lemon water. Mike, Yea, I've heard that about juices before and you have to really look at labels, they try to be sneaky sometimes. Danny, never heard of nestle clinutren but I'll look and give it a try. I just need some new ideas, I get tired of the same things. And I'm trying to get off the sodas, I'm addicted to them like Cara is milk, lol.
11-16-2006, 10:53 PM   #6
Cara Fusinato
Sarcastic Forum Comedian

Speaking of me . . . Still no milk . . . but you know, truly, it really is helping, and the weight is dropping off me like crazy (funny to mention on a Crohn's board -- but I need to lose weight!). As for me, I take water and throw in 3 decaf tea bags and put in the fridge. Turns into lightly flavored water, just enough to not be, you know, water. No sugar! No caffeine! Don't want to do anything too acidic because that brings its own set of circumstances. I will drink a soda maybe once a week, though a couple months ago I had this awful rootbeer fetish. I just couldn't get enough of the stuff. I finally found rootbeer hard candies just to avoid the soda aspect and satisfy the cravings. But, soda bad. Milk bad (*head/desk*).
11-16-2006, 11:25 PM   #7
tonya_n_ky

Good idea Cara, I'll try that too.. and you're doing great with the no milk diet, keep it up.
11-17-2006, 02:35 AM   #8
Mazen

Sometimes watered down grape or apple juice when I can tolerate them.. Freshly squeezed carrot juice is also very good. Herabl teas and regular green or black tea (with honey, no sugar!!!)
11-17-2006, 01:20 PM   #9
ruthymg

Gosh you're all so good. I don't drink anything like the above. I drink tea, dilute juice and I know its naughty but wine and alcopops. Sorry, I know thats not what you meant Tonya lol

Ruth
11-17-2006, 03:27 PM   #10
Kate

i mainly do water but im not to worried about what i drink cause i dont like most of the bad stuff anyhow
11-17-2006, 03:41 PM   #11
tonya_n_ky

Mazen....I love herbal teas but I use sugar...I love honey so I'll have to give it a try next time. Ruth, you have me laughin over here. You must be on a mission to kill Crohn's with alcohol, Let us know if it works LOL
11-17-2006, 03:59 PM   #12
ruthymg

I certainly am, since I discovered which drinks I can have with my stoma I cant get enough lol oh well what harms a little bad behavior now and then.

Ruth
11-17-2006, 08:42 PM   #13
Nancy Lee

I am not a big water drinker, but I do like sparkling water, especially the tangerine/lime one. Chai tea is THE best. I can only tolerate apple juice, in the juice department. No colas or other 'pop'.

And I do enjoy the occasional glass of dry red wine..about every two weeks or so.

I have had to cut back on milk..only have a juice glass full at lunch and dinner.

Going to try water with lemon though and see how that goes~Thanks for the tip Jeff!

Nancy

FaceBook- http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pr...48&ref=profile

Last edited by Nancy Lee; 11-17-2006 at 08:45 PM.
11-17-2006, 08:43 PM   #14
meapache

Hi Everyone,
My daughter Monica go to Sam's club once a month and stocks up gatorade, spring and vitamin water 36 bottles each, i keep saying one day my kitchen floor is gonna collapse! Cara, i got her the mangosteen juice and she started taking it, lets see what happens..she had two doctors to visit this week, both said the fistula is on the mend, just taking too long, yesterday she got a flu shot, about 4hrs later while she was out playing pool, she felt pressure in the stoma area, when she looked at it she freaked out, it was expanding moving upwards, she was going to the ER, told her to bring her butt home, told her she was most likey having a reaction to the humira, flu shot and her heavy pasta n shrimp dinner, it did look scary, so she piled up in my bedroom kept me up most of the night, when i woke up she was in her room with ramon (the cat) watching over her, while i was getting my uniform together, she called to look at the stoma, it had gone back down, tonight all is well, maybe 2-3 months before the reversal..Sam
11-17-2006, 10:09 PM   #15
Cara Fusinato
Sarcastic Forum Comedian

Now see, I CAN drink milk (but I'm not!), I can't drink gatorade because it sends me to the r.room. Soy milk too. And I don't have a problem keeping weight on. I know, I am just not normal. I will, though, agree on the CHAI TEA! Love that stuff! Hot, cold, whichever!
11-18-2006, 01:54 AM   #16
Dekar

water water water!
11-18-2006, 03:47 AM   #17
andilynn09

Lots of water, and green tea (w/ splenda instead of sugar). I don't drink much pop, because it upsets my stomach. Also, I was told that pulp from juices can be hard on your digestive system...as if the acidity of the OJ isn't had enough on some people.
11-18-2006, 03:49 AM   #18
skeet

Cara, what's normal?

I drink a lot more iced tea than is good for anyone ... about a gallon a day. Between the D and the cholestyramine I'm always dry-mouthed & thirsty, so you'll never see me without a drink close at hand. Two cups of coffee in the morning, a few glasses of water when I remember. Can't drink most of the juice blends because almost all of them have apple and/or citrus, both of which cause me problems. I do drink cranberry juice or cran-grape (pure juice, no cocktiails!) & tolerate them well. I can have a couple of ounces of dairy per day, but usually use that up on cheese, so very little milk. No sodas at all. Carbonation blows me up like a balloon. How come y'all get to have Cokes & I can't?

Oh, and I drink a little beer every now & then, but only like it when it's icy cold, so I usually hand it off to someone after a few sips.

skeet
11-20-2006, 11:31 AM   #19
healthycookie

Water is the best thing you can drink. Juice and teas and all that are good, but they should not replace your water intake. They should be in addition to. My go-to beverage of choice when things get a little upset is ginger tea. Hot or at room temperature, made fresh from scratch. It is delicious and warming (I don't just mean the temperature, the ginger itseld is warming on the system and that soothes).
Take 6 cups of water, 1/4 cup fresh sliced ginger root and simmer for 20 minutes. You can add honey if you like it a little sweeter. Making fresh teas are the most delicious and you can also be sure of what you are actually drinking. Boiling any type of herb can make delicious tea- fennel, peppermint, lavender... An alternative to Gatorade, if you prefer the sugar free, natural route is mixing together 1 part cranberry juice (not cranberry cocktail) to two parts water, a squeeze of lemon, dash of salt and some honey for sweetness. Will replenish salt and 'sugars' without using any refined sugar which is harmful to the intestines. If the natural cranberry is too bitter or sour, you can also try fresh 100% blueberry or cherry juice (not from concentrate!). Anyone else have any natural beverage ideas?
11-20-2006, 11:42 AM   #20
Jonny

Lots of water for me and rehydration sport type drinks.
Also earl grey with honey and diluted orange drinks such as Robinsons orange juice.
11-20-2006, 09:39 PM   #21
tonya_n_ky

Skeet-
The carbonation doesn't help me at all but I just love the soda, lol. So I deal with the after effects. Trying to cut down on them but UGH!! I can only drink so much water then it starts to want to come back up. lol
11-24-2006, 06:29 AM   #22
Mazen

Guys.... You should reduce sugar intake as much as possible. Sugar is bad for the intestinal tract and increases inflammation in the body. Also artificial sweeteners are bad as some cause D, and others cancer.

I think the only sweeteners we should use and in moderation are natural ones like honey.
12-14-2006, 01:43 AM   #23
GNC Crohn's Man
Vita-Man

To cut down on the sugar but to get the electrolites I need and as well as the hydration I need I drink half poweraide/half water... I can't do gatoraide and the other hydration drinks that are really good as far as electrolites go have artifical sweetners in them...
12-23-2006, 08:41 PM   #24
Cara Fusinato
Sarcastic Forum Comedian

Gatorade, though, is tremendous for a hangover. That's the only time I drink it. It doesn't especially sit well with me. Except when I have a hangover.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Whatcha Drinkin to help your IBD?