Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Flu shots?

09-16-2010, 08:48 PM   #31
ameslouise

I met a reporter for the Philly Inquirer last year - he covers public health. He said there is a lot of research going on right now about vitamin D deficiency and suscepability to the flu. The theory is that the flu spreads rapidly during "flu season" because that's when we have the lowest levels of vitamin D.

- Amy
09-16-2010, 08:51 PM   #32
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
Everyone makes such good points and I agree with both sides, which is why I'm finding it such a difficult task in deciding what to do.

Dan - I take an additional vitamin D supplement along with my multivitamin that contains D in it already. What's interesting is, a couple weeks ago, my husband started coming down with a cold and a couple days later I did as well. I was more diligent about taking my supplements and did an apple cider vinegar gargle every hour and my sore throat was gone by the next day and the sickness went away faster than his did! I'm still not sure whether it was a common cold or allergies (we both have them), but maybe there is something to having extra vitamins either way!

I suppose I could just as easily decide not to get the vaccine this year and see how I fair in fending off the flu. I'm very conscious of hand-washing and not touching my face while out in public. So, I'm at least employing healthy habits to fend off the germies.

Currently, my Crohn's seems to be well under control. I might even go out on a limb and say I might be very close to remission, just based on how I feel compared to where I was in April. I haven't had any pains or anything since then. But, I do have a history of narrowing in my ileum where my disease is located. But, I have no clue if it's lessened any since April when I had a partial blockage.

So, many things to consider!
January 2014 - adopted a mostly Paleo diet
May 2015 - still in remission!

Currently Taking
Humira - 40mg/week
Imuran - 125 mg/day
Calcium magnesium citrate
Fermented cod liver oil/butter blend
Culturelle probiotics
Vitamin D
Vitamin C
Biotin
Allegra
09-16-2010, 08:53 PM   #33
D Bergy

I think there is a high degree of interest in vitamin D and disease in general. It is probably the biggest deal at this time in the research world.

I am ramping up on D for Winter now. I am at 4,000 iu and will be taking at least 10,000 iu for Winter. It is a possible Crohn's treatment in itself, and if it helps prevent the Flu, that is an added benefit.

Dan
09-17-2010, 11:30 AM   #34
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Interesting about vitamin d - I take 2,000 IU daily, I wonder if I should be taking more? I definitely do not get out in the sun much during the winter months so maybe I will up my intake then. How much vitamin d is too much?
09-17-2010, 12:41 PM   #35
Lydia

I took 4000 IU each day last year and this year I plan to do the same. I also take a chewable 500mg vitamin C everyday. I double my vitamin C and D when I feel I am coming down with something, and when I do that it usually goes away or turns into something very mild.
09-25-2010, 05:48 PM   #36
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Okay, I have another question related to the flu shot and I thought I'd add it to this thread. I just got prescribed Endocort and I'll be taking 9 mg per day. My workplace is having the flu shot clinic there in October and I would still like to get the flu shot, but I don't want it to interfere with the Endocort or vice versa. Does anybody know if it's safe to get the flu shot while on Endocort?
09-27-2010, 05:04 AM   #37
VintageAnn

My two cents:

My primary care physician and GI both recommend the flu shot. Because I am immunosupreesed I can only have the shot. The nasal application has live virus. I have already had my flu shot this year. I take humira every other Monday so planned the shot for my odd Monday. We are also having a whooping cough resurgence so I had that shot too. As soon as the h1n1 is at available I will get that one too. I had the pneumonia shot a couple of years ago which I think it's good for five years.

I have never had an adverse reaction to any of these vaccines. I get them because I try to avoid getting sick as much as I can. Crohn's is exhausting enough without throwing the flu on top of it.

Ann

Currently on Humira

Past treatments:

Asacol
Colazol
Pentasa
6-MP
Remicade
Cipro
Flagyl
And lots and lots of the devil drug PREDNISONE

"Don't let a disease define who you are"
09-27-2010, 07:02 AM   #38
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Ann: My understanding is, the h1n1 is combined into the regular seasonal flu shot this year. So if you've already gotten your flu shot, then you've already gotten your h1n1 vaccination as well. Good thought about the whooping cough vaccination, I'll have to look into that one myself.
09-27-2010, 07:14 AM   #39
DustyKat
Super Moderator

@ Cat. That's right, it is a combined vaccine.

@ Ann. Yes Pneumovax lasts 5 years and you should only require two shots to obtain lasting protection against pneumococcal disease.

Dusty.
09-27-2010, 03:11 PM   #40
Rebecca85

I am pretty sure I had whooping cough 8 years ago. Does that mean I will be immune for life?

125mg azathioprine
4g Pentasa
09-27-2010, 04:38 PM   #41
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
Could be, Rebecca. My mom (a nurse) was telling me I should think about getting the whooping cough vaccine since I'm immune suppressed. She told me all the nurses at her work are required to get the shot. Since she had it years ago, she didn't have to get one.

I decided I'll be getting my first flu shot coming this weekend. Just another thought for people...if you are unsure about getting the flu shot, there is also a smaller dose available in ID form (intradermal - under skin as opposed to intramuscular - in the muscle). It's supposed to be just as effective in warding off the flu. Just something to keep in mind if you are worried about the larger dose or getting the flu vaccine for the first time. I wanted to get the smaller dose, but it won't be offered until late October at my doc's office. I wanted to get mine before I travel to California at the beginning of Oct., so I'll be getting the full intramuscular shot. Also, some doc's offices don't offer the ID form of the shot, but could be worth looking into if you are interested! Just thought I'd pass along the info.

Also...some docs say you can go 10 years before getting your next pneumonia vaccine (pneumovax). Either way, it's nice that it's not a yearly thing. I got one several years ago after I got walking pneumonia. My current GP said I shouldn't have to worry about it for a while.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Flu shots?