Share Facebook

11-16-2006, 09:35 PM   #1
mikeyarmo
Co-Founder

Fasting with IBD

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/031...325&creativeAS

Fasting and Eating for Health: A Medical Doctor's Program for Conquering Disease, (Forward by Neal D. Barnard) is a book written by a doctor that claims that fasting can be used to cure many diseases (linked above). These include auto-immune diseases, and the book even singles out Colitis as a disease curable through fasting.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Is this something you would ever consider? Do you think this has to do with the disease and its relationship with diet?
11-16-2006, 10:16 PM   #2
Jeff D.

I would question it as when I did not eat I felt horrible but now that I do eat more I feel great. I don't know how not eating could possibly be good as you are depriving your cells of nutrition that they need to grow and split so new cells can come along.
11-16-2006, 10:29 PM   #3
mikeyarmo
Co-Founder

As counter-intuitive as it sounds, I know when you can only consume liquids that you are really hungry for a while (most of a day), but after a while the hunger goes away for the most part. It becomes easier to do with time.

This is of course with liquid consumption, and not pure fast. I have fasted totally for about a day, and was feeling low-energy and had a headached afterwards. I have done liquid diet for much longer, but it was not during a time I was in good shape otherwise. I still am curious as to others thoughts on this /

P.S. I didn't want to share my thoughts as it could influence others maybe, but I do not know how this is really possible. I did not read the book, but the idea seems a bit hard to understand. I can understand someone with weight to lose fasting and getting over a disease like chronic pain, but I do not see how a malnourished person with IBD would benefit from not eating.
11-17-2006, 02:39 AM   #4
Mazen

After I was diagnosed with Crohn's to fast for a week and got sooo sick.... If I don't eat regularly (every 3 hours), I start feeling extremene painful hunger, and my stomach and intestines start to ache.
I don't know if a juice fast is good for us with IBD????
11-17-2006, 03:40 AM   #5
Dekar

yah.. mazen.. its so strange.. we have almost the EXACT OPPOSITE of what others have with this disease. people have constant D and dont want to eat at all... i on the other hand have chronic constipation and im ALWAYS HUNGRY! everytime i eat a meal its as if it didnt affect me and im never full (like that taco bell commercial)
11-17-2006, 11:02 AM   #6
kix66

I don't think fasting is the long term answer. Short term if you're in a flare to let everything calm down. I fasted for a while about 2 years ago and lost 45lbs in 6 weeks, my doc got very upset w/me.

We already malnutrion and malabsorption so add fasting to the mix and we start to have muscle wasting.

Unfortunately my fasting got away from me and it was difficult to eat most days, I got so weak my legs felt like Jell-o and I couldn't go anywhere for about 3 months till I built my energy and muscles back up.

So I won't, as long as I can help it, do that again.
11-18-2006, 10:37 AM   #7
GNC Crohn's Man
Vita-Man

I do a partial fasting sometimes but I'm on enough supplements so I literaly recoup my weakness in a matter of hours rather than days... If I do a fast (well more like clear liquid diet) for a few days like how I had to do last week I think it was about 3 days or so before I built back up my strength...
11-18-2006, 04:14 PM   #8
skeet

I get pretty bad vertigo if I stay hungry even an hour or so after I've started to feel like I need food. That's the primary reason that I only work (field work) for three or four hours at a time. I can't eat before I work because big D would keep me home. I work out of my car. Vertigo and driving = big, bad boom on the freeway! I don't risk it.

skeet
03-07-2007, 02:47 PM   #9
robert.k

The first gastroenterologist I saw recommended that fasting (clear liquids, broths) can be used for a 1-2 day time-period, once per week, during a flare-up to help relax the colon.

I'm not sure how effective this strategy is, yet...
03-07-2007, 03:05 PM   #10
katiesue1506

See I was recommended broths and soups and such... so I went straight for the good ol' Campbell's Chicken noodle soup and I got very ill. I'm thinking its the high amounts of sodium in the soups... so now I'm kinda turned off on soups and broths. But I also noticed that now I have Crohn's Disease, I can't usually skip a meal. Lasst night I just hadn't eaten dinner because I was busy and I got very hungry and very shaky. I think that I have problems with blood sugar, because when I don't eat I do get hungry and shaky like that. I dunno though.

I just know that before Crohn's I could easily go a couple days without eating... I wouldn't call it a fast, since it was more of a stupid teenagery thing to do... but now I just can't do that. But people are right, the hunger pangs just go away after a while... or used to.
03-07-2007, 04:31 PM   #11
robert.k

katiesue1506 said:
See I was recommended broths and soups and such... so I went straight for the good ol' Campbell's Chicken noodle soup and I got very ill. I'm thinking its the high amounts of sodium in the soups... so now I'm kinda turned off on soups and broths. But I also noticed that now I have Crohn's Disease, I can't usually skip a meal. Lasst night I just hadn't eaten dinner because I was busy and I got very hungry and very shaky. I think that I have problems with blood sugar, because when I don't eat I do get hungry and shaky like that. I dunno though.

I just know that before Crohn's I could easily go a couple days without eating... I wouldn't call it a fast, since it was more of a stupid teenagery thing to do... but now I just can't do that. But people are right, the hunger pangs just go away after a while... or used to.
Hi Katie,

I would prepare my own broths/soups. I'm lucky enough to have been raised with a mother who knows how to cook properly! If you're interested in delicious, simple, all natural recipes let me know... if you're not familiar with soup preparation, let me dispell any fears/concerns you might have... preparing soups is actually very easy to do!

But ya, I stay away from low-quality canned soups. Even if we weren't suffering from Crohn's, those soups STILL suck! We all know home-made is the way to go! :-)

Last edited by robert.k; 03-07-2007 at 04:36 PM.
03-07-2007, 04:56 PM   #12
DanSJVDavis

Campbells has a low sodium variety. I'll usually eat Campbells Chicken Noodle when I'm feeling bad, but it doesn't really make me feel ill and I only use 3/4 of a can of water instead of a full one. Then I usually graduate to soup and crackers, then chunky soup and potatoes, then on to normal food again. But that's for the real bad times.

Yeah, if I don't eat all day sometimes I'll get real weak and shaky. If I still don't eat I'll start having kinda wonky vision and lightheaded and dizzy. If I still don't eat I'll get what I call tunnel vision where my vision fuzzes a bit around the edges and I'll get kind of a clammy feeling in my arms and legs. I usually don't try to test it past that point.

During a flare I also tend to eat more soups and broths. I've got a nice chicken stock in the freezer that I made that's just waiting for a time when I don't want to push my luck with solid food.

I Was A Middle Age Writer, my blog on my journey toward becoming a published novelist.

Podunkville FX Pics
Podunkville FX
And here's my MySpace Profile: Dan Davis of Podunkville FX MySpace
03-07-2007, 05:46 PM   #13
katiesue1506

robert k.... Hey thanks! If I wanna make a good soup, I now have a soup guy!!
03-07-2007, 05:58 PM   #14
robert.k

In case you've never checked it out, www.epicurious.com is a massive resource of recipes of all sorts.
03-07-2007, 07:53 PM   #15
carolinajak

robert, any simple broth recipes? or should i just check out the link you posted?
03-07-2007, 08:04 PM   #16
robert.k

it's very easy to make a meat broth. the traditional stuff i was brought up on was real chicken soup. buy a small whole chicken, boil it in a large pot for about 30 minutes and drain once (lots of filmy stuff and fat will be released when boiled).

Refill the pot with water and boil again on medium/low heat with a whole onion or two, leek, celery, dill, whole carrot and salt/pepper to taste. It's really that simple. I hope that makes sense. I JUST started making soups recently and I never realized how simply they are. Oh ya! I forgot that boiled zucchinni (sp?) also works well in this soup. It's pretty much all about cooking a bunch of stuff together for a long time at a low heat in order to get all the flavors infused. And everything is ridiculously soft and easy to digest, as you can imagine.

The epicurious website has tons more information than I could ever provide, though. Not to make an assumption, but I find many people just never make the attempt at making soups. And it's really not that hard. The same can be done with beef. Just grab a large roast, boil it for a while, drain it once if there's too much film/fat, then boil it again and this time add the things you want for flavor.... barley, onion, mushroom, etc...
03-10-2007, 09:30 PM   #17
carolinajak

thanks. ill check out the website as well. one of the only things i will be able to ingest when i go on my elemental diet soon is organic broths. its only to add a salty taste to the steady diet of sweet shakes. Should be interesting.
07-26-2007, 11:44 PM   #18
fgillette1986

2 day fasts work well for me. I don't eat anything and only drink water. A 2 day fast with water allows a good amount of time for my liver to detox. On a side note, I almost always boil my water before I drink it.