• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Weight loss after resection

Have to go see dr next wk. Until then, I'm curious how much weight is typical to lose after surgery? Have been trying to eat right, but still limited on what I can eat.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I had a resection and yes you do have to watch for a month or so but after that you should be able to eat protein and carbs. If it hasnt been long enough then supplement with Ensure, they have high protein in them and is safe to drink. I used to eat porridge, and helps put the weight back on. How long has it been since your surgery??

i just had a obstruction, althgough it was very severe according to my surgeon, was in the hosp for 8 days, lost 25 pounds. i eat the same foods everyday- broiled chicken, oatmeal, baked potatoes, etc. really bland diet, but works for me. good luck

A week after my "ileum" resection I had a steak and my body handled it fine. I've gained 50 pounds since my surgery. I'm not sure what surgery you've had done so I'm not sure what food you can or cannot eat for it not to bother the scar tissue.

50 pounds? Jealous! Mine has only been around 12, my only limitations on what I eat are things like wholemeal and veggies but that's because of the fibre, how long has it been since your resection??

I had part of small and part of large intestine removed for stricture which led to obstruction. Also ileocecal valve removed about one month ago. Hoping to start feeling better soon.