• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newcomer

S

Sunshine46

Hi There,

Just stumbled across this site,hope it is ok to join you .

I was diagnosed with Crohns when I was 10yrs old (am now 33) , at that time I had bad Crohns for about 4 years, then all of a sudden it went away.

I fell pregnant in December last year, and my crohns came back with a vengeance in June when I was 6 months pregnant. I was worried about the baby as I was almost constantly on the toilet, but I needened have been concerned, my little boy was born 10 days early( by planned c-section)on 22 Aug weighing 8lbs 12oz (3.95kg).

Had a colonoscopy last month and now back on steroids to calm thngs down. I hope it was due to the pregnancy that I had a flare up,and after this course of tabs things will beback to normal.

Take Care
Sunshine xx

K

kix66

Awwww.....congratulations on your little guy and welcome!

Hope you'll be feeling better soon it's difficult enough to have a new baby but then add chonic illness to it, oh what fun!

Welcome again!

R

ruthymg

Sunshine46 said:
Hi There,

Just stumbled across this site,hope it is ok to join you .

I was diagnosed with Crohns when I was 10yrs old (am now 33) , at that time I had bad Crohns for about 4 years, then all of a sudden it went away.

I fell pregnant in December last year, and my crohns came back with a vengeance in June when I was 6 months pregnant. I was worried about the baby as I was almost constantly on the toilet, but I needened have been concerned, my little boy was born 10 days early( by planned c-section)on 22 Aug weighing 8lbs 12oz (3.95kg).

Had a colonoscopy last month and now back on steroids to calm thngs down. I hope it was due to the pregnancy that I had a flare up,and after this course of tabs things will beback to normal.

Hi, welcome to our forum. I too have crohns and I'm 32. Reading your post was a little like reading my own. I had a daughter 2 and a half years ago whilst I was in remission, fortunately I didn't flare during my pregnancy, even though I had a planned c section, but 12 months after having her I did, . I am still in a flare and had to have a resection and loop illeostomy in June this year. That won't stop me having more children once I am well enough to though lol I had steriods before I went in to remission, hope they work as well for you. Nice to hear your story. Look forward to chatting to you.

Ruth

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Welcome Sunshine!

I am sorry that things have started up again. You definately have gone through enough of this disease. :(

Congratulations on your new child though! It is great to hear that the birth was a success.

Aloha Sunshine & welcome to the forum. wWonderful that your pregnancy went so well despite the flare. Hope you'll be back soon!

A

andilynn09

Congrats on your little one! Sorry to hear you are dealing w/ Crohns again, but glad to hear everything went well with your pregnancy. I hope I will have the same luck some day...my husband and I were going to start trying this spring and then I was diagnosed w/ Crohns in March, and still haven't gotten it under control. UGH

Welcome and good luck!

G

GeoGiGi

Congratulations on the beautiful baby! I am sorry that after all the time you had in remission that you are back in a flare... I hope you get things under control soon so you have less distractions from motherhood. Glad that you found this forum and I hope you find the support you're looking for here. We're rooting for you! :)

S

Sunshine46

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your replies.
Our little boy, Niall, is absolutely fine, getting bigger by the day and apart from a virus when he was 8 weeks old, thankfully is fit and healthy.
I am now down to 30mg Prednisolone and 9 x asacol and feeling ten times better. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks will be off the streroids and back to my old self.
Hope everyone else is doing ok.

Take Care
Sx

E

EBH

welcome to this forum sunshine!
like you, i have had crohn's for years. am now 35 and was diagnosed when i was 16. been a long haul. i am just now thinking about having kids... rumor has it pregnancy can, on occasion, trigger a nasty flare. the great news is that if it went away once for you, it can again! i truly believe positive thinking is key. welcome to the site and i may be contacting you in the future if i make it down the baby path.

take care!
elizabeth

ps- there are many other drugs other than steroids- that seem to be so much less tough on the body... ask your doctor if they might explore those with you :)

S

Sunshine46

EBH said:
welcome to this forum sunshine!
like you, i have had crohn's for years. am now 35 and was diagnosed when i was 16. been a long haul. i am just now thinking about having kids... rumor has it pregnancy can, on occasion, trigger a nasty flare. the great news is that if it went away once for you, it can again! i truly believe positive thinking is key. welcome to the site and i may be contacting you in the future if i make it down the baby path.

take care!
elizabeth

ps- there are many other drugs other than steroids- that seem to be so much less tough on the body... ask your doctor if they might explore those with you :)
Hi Elizabeth,
You may be one of the lucky ones and have a problem free pregnancy, but you don't know till you are in that positon unfortunately. On the plus side the baby will not suffer as has been proven by Nialls birth weight,and at least you will know if it is the crohns, my doc didn't think it was.
Don't know what drugs you can take whilst pregnant though, and also if breastfeeding which I am not.
Feel free to contact me should you go downthe baby path, its well worth it in the end !!

Take Care
S xx