Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » 5-ASA/Mesalamine » Pentasa and hair loss anyone?

08-23-2010, 03:38 AM   #1
meardonna

pentasa and hair loss anyone?

Hi i'm on pentasa 2 tablets 3 times a day. Although its not workng and i have a hospital appointment tomorrow. The problem is my hair is falling out, i read in the information that this is a possible side effect of pentasa. anyone else had this? or cold it just be the disease and the flare-up putting strain on my body?? If you have had it any suggestions on what to do to limit it?desperatley need a new look although I really do not suit short hair
08-23-2010, 06:30 AM   #2
JoeUK

My Support Groups:
Sorry to hear about your hair. I take a similar amount and I think my hairloss has increased but a man just chalked it up as a cruel effect of ageing. Now might be the time to have some fun with hats I went through a hat phase but I not a hat person
08-26-2010, 07:16 AM   #3
dustydshook

I have hair loss, but it started before I was put on pentasa and actually slowed after I started taking it. Now I am off of pentasa and have increased hair loss again. I don't lose huge clumps or anything just three times as much in the drain when I shower. I think it is just part of the disease. When I tell my dr. he really doesn't have anything to say about it.

I honor the place in you where the whole universe dwells and I honor that place in me. When you are in that place and I am in that place, we are one.

Namaste

The light that is within me bows to the light that is within you.
08-26-2010, 07:27 AM   #4
Astra

My Support Groups:
Hiya Donna

I've been on Pentasa for 5 years, and also have hair loss, but I don't believe it's the meds, I believe it's a Crohnie thang!
there are loads of threads on this subject, here's one

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=2209

this is an old one about Aza.
My hair falls out, but it quickly grows back, it's just one of those things, part of the immune system process
xxx

Joan

Dx Crohn's in TI 2005 symptoms for 15 years prior

BEEN ON -Azathioprine, 6MP, Prednisolone, Pentasa, Budesonide, Metronidazole, Humira, Methotrexate,

NOW ON -Amitriptyline 25mg
21/02/14 Right hemicolectomy surgery

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...4208290&ref=ts

No-one should make you feel inferior without your consent!

Last edited by Astra; 08-26-2010 at 02:56 PM.
08-26-2010, 10:47 AM   #5
Jan

I gotta agree with Astra. Most Crohnnies seem to have thin hair and hair that falls out a lot. I remember the first time I noticed when someone took a photo while I was leaning over looking at a map and you could see my scalp reflected in the flash of the photo. I was depressed for ages.

Now, I just don't look!

Jan x
09-01-2010, 06:15 PM   #6
lseibert

My Support Groups:
I have been on Pentasa for 7 years, and I have a spot in front and general thinning all around. I think it's a Crohnie thing. Right now I'm trying Bosley system for women from my hair stylist. I have been doing it for 2 1/2 months and I see new hair in front, but the spots still there. They say it takes 3-6 months to see for sure. I figured it was worth a try. But, I can say for sure my eyebrows and lashes are thicker?!? which is a good thing.

Crohn's Disease and IBS
Diagnosed: 2001 (symptoms for 22 years prior)
Currently on:
Desipramine for IBS, Vicoden for pain
Surgery: Small bowel strictureplasty 02/19/11 and 11/17/11, then a small bowel resection 4/6/12.
Yeah, 3 surgergies in 13 months
Supplements:
Multivitamins & Vitamin D3
Prednisone: Never again
Imuran (azathioprine)= Pancreatitis
Entocort EC (Budesonide) and medical adhesives = Rash

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » 5-ASA/Mesalamine » Pentasa and hair loss anyone?