Share Facebook

11-17-2006, 09:28 PM   #1
mikeyarmo
Co-Founder

Harvard Food Pyramid

I am sure many of you have heard about different food pyramids recommending what your daily intake should be of certain foods. I was surprised to come across one that was created by Harvard (appropriately titled the Harvard Food Pyramid). Anyways I think you should all have a look, as it does differ a bit from most food pyramids. While it suggests a large amount of both whole grains and vegetables, it suggests only 2-3 fruits per day, 1-3 nuts and legumes per day and 1-2 dairy and calcium supplements per day. I have never seen a supplement offered instead of a food item on a pyramid before.

Also, the pyramid recommends between 0-2 servings of fish, poultry and eggs, and suggests limiting all red meat, butter, pasta and white bread.

This surprises me as this pyramid seems to be the only one that is workable by all people, including vegetarians and vegans. It is also surprising to see that a calcium supplement is considered to be as good as a dairy serving.

Any comments about this?
11-18-2006, 04:00 AM   #2
skeet

Mike, I've been taking ten to twelve tums per day for about eleven years now. Since I can't have much dairy & the regular calcium supplements are really hard on my stomach, this is what the doc ordered all thse years ago. One of my dogs (pesky beagle!) got ahold of a brand new bottle of tums yesterday after I stupidly left it on a low side table. Who knew he would be interested in a sealed plastic container? I came home to a chewed up and empty bottle and apparently both dogs shared it. I'm watching them closely & hope I don't have to give them both enemas tomorrow.

There's not a real pyramid for me, because I can't do much at all with veggies & fruits. Chicken, fish, a small serving of egg every now & then, very little beef or other fatty meats. Ovecooked mushy veggies & lots of startches. That's what works, but I don't think that pyramid will stand upright at all!

skeet
11-18-2006, 10:41 AM   #3
GNC Crohn's Man
Vita-Man

I take in hmmmm sugar, starches lots of starches, some lean meat, some fatty stuff
and that's about it... I got all of my essential nutrients from my supplements rather than from my food... It would be better if I were to get it in from my food but I'm way to lazy to prepare a proper balanced meal all the time....
11-20-2006, 11:37 AM   #4
healthycookie

I am unable to take calcium supplements and have found other foods far more calcium rich than even dairy. Turns out, as I have discovered through research, that ingesting dairy, when you are lactose intolerant can actually cause your body to leak calcium FROM the bones in an attempt to digest the lactose. A little counter productive. Sesame seeds, tahini, brocolli and parsley- ounce for ounce, have MORE CALCIUM THAN MILK and are in a form much easier for your body to break down and digest. The following recipe is for a dip/sauce that is super high in calcium and essential fatty acids (Omega 3 and 6 which work wonders on inflammation)

Tahini Magic Sauce
(Why is it magic? It is magic because it is jam packed with calcium. No two foods have a higher concentration of calcium than tahini and parsley. Great for rice dishes, pastas, dipping sauce and salad dressing)

1/2 cup organic 100% sesame seed tahini sauce
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1 clove of garlic (minced)
juice from 1 lemon
1/2 cup water
salt and pepper to taste
In a small mixing bowl, combine tahini, parsley, garlic and lemon juice and mix thoroughly. Add 1/2 cup of water and mix. You may wish to add more or less water depending on how you want to use the sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste.
12-07-2006, 12:48 AM   #5
crohns_student

In my biology class in College here last year we talked extensively about that pyramid. It's different than the "official" food pyramid. The interesting thing is that the big food companies who have a vested interest in what people eat had a big impact on the construction of the food pyramid, not so with the Harvard version.