• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohns and Hysterectomy??

Hi all I was diagnosed almost 3 years ago with crohns, and since that original flare it has been in remission with the meds that I take. I have just been to see my gyneacologist and he has suggested I have a Hysterectomy, I agree this would be the best thing for me, but am very worried that it will make the crohns reappear!! has anyone had a hysterectomy with crohns and if so what happened, did the crohns worsen or flare or did things remain the same???? this is my main worry. thanks to anyone who replies in advance :confused2:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi greshna and :welcome:

I have no personal experience with this but there are certainly others on here that have and many say it's the best thing they ever did! I'm sure they will be along soon to let you know how they got on. I hope you stick around 'cause there's load of info and support here and it's a safe and friendly place to hang out.

Welcome aboard!

All the best, :)
Dusty

Hi greshna, I had a hysterectomy in Feb of this year and was diagnosed with Crohns in June of this year. I was on Lialda before the surgery which was done because the Drs thought my tumors were pressing on my colon and causing the pain.
After the surgery I quit taking the Lialda and quickly determined I still needed to take it as the D came right back, however the pain and pressure were definitely reduced.
The hysterectomy was a very good move for me as it turned out that I had many more tumors than the tests showed, and a severly enlarged uterus.
Good Luck...check out hystersisters.com

I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago due to Adenomyosis...at this stage I hadn't been diagnosed with Crohn's although I probably had it at the time. I didnt' notice any difference in my symptoms but like I said I didn't know I had Crohn's at the time...sorry I can't be of any assistance with it, however I will say it was the best thing I ever did too!

I have chrons and hade a partial laproscopic hysterectomy 1.5 years ago for fibroids. Recovered fine.. no flares or anything as a result of the surgery. Good luck

Welcome Greshna. Hope you enjoy the forum and find lots of good advice. Best of luck if you have surgery.