• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Crohns Story

I am a 54 yr old male. In 2005 I had my gall bladder removed. Within 6 mos. I began having more abdominal pain. I went to a gastro doctor who had performed 2 routine colonoscopies on me in the past. I assumed therefore, he knew what he was doing. An endoscopy revealed numerous lesions in my stromach which he wrongly diagnosed as gastric ulcers.
For almost a year he treated my "ulcers" with Carafate and Reglan. When I would have a flare up, he would tell me to double up on my meds until the symptoms subsided. After putting up with this for so long and not getting any better, I sought a second opinion from another gastro doctor. Another coloscopy revealed that I had Crohns. Initially, I was treated with Pentasa and Prednisone,followed by Imuran,then Remicade. I spent one week in the hospital due to pain and dehydration, followed by one trip to the emergency room. It was finally determined I had a blockage from scar tissue from having so many flare ups. In May of 2008 I had a small bowel resection where approximately 1 foot of my small intestine was removed.
Since the surgery, I have Remicade infusions every 7 weeks. My Crohns, for the most part, has been in remission.
Thanks for letting me share my story,
Saddletramp

Astra

Hi Saddletramp
and welcome

You must of been in agony for years!
so glad you sought a 2nd opinion and appropriate meds!
well done for getting to remission, here's to a long happy time with it!
See you around the forum
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
:welcome: Saddletramp! You have come to a place where we know you pain, frastrations and meds! I have had my gall bladder out after my second resection. You are lucky for the most part you are in remisson. I havent gotten to achieve that yet.. but still trying. It is hard to diagnose Crohns,some on here and have no dx but swear they do because they have all the symptoms.

I am assuming you are from the US, but we have tons here from all over the world because it is a disease we all share and help each other when we are ill or well and share or swap little tricks of the trade so to speak.

Glad you found us, hope to see you around!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Saddletramp and :welcome:

I'm glad you found your way here. Sorry to hear about the run around you had and unfortunately it's not uncommon. My daughter took about 18 months to be diagnosed and ended up with a small bowel resection as well, luckily she has been in remission for 4 years now so I hope you remain so for many, many years to come. This is a great place for support and info and it would be great if you stuck around!

Welcome aboard!

All the best, :)
Dusty

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Hi Saddletramp, you've been a member for so long, I'm curious why you've just now become active? It's just my nature to ask.. I hope you stick around with us as well. Good luck!!