• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Getting tested for Crohn's soon... :-/

I've had GI issues for years now, but it never occurred to me I might have some real problems. Over the past year or two I've been getting instant, terrible stomachaches that end with me rushing to the toilet.

Over the past month, I have had diarrhea almost every day straight. There were 2-3 days a week or two ago where my bowels were normal. Several weeks ago I had bloody stool due to internal hemorrhoids. Yesterday I was stuck on the couch with severe pain in my right lower abdominal quadrant, not to mention I went to the bathroom 7 times. All diarrhea.

It's embarrassing, it hurts, and I'm pretty miserable. I've thought about Crohn's but didn't entertain it too much since I am overweight and not thin. But the doctor seems to think that's what it may be. I'm having a CT scan tomorrow or the next day and my first appointment with a gastroenterologist next week.

Hoping for some answers :-(

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Hi HC, welcome!! How do you know the bleeding was due to hemorrhoids? My son had bloody D leading up to his dx. Good luck with the GI!! Keep us posted!!

Hey Dexky!! The doctor used a small scope to check up there and said he found evidence of ruptured hemorrhoids, irritation from the D. Thank you for the luck!

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
Hi, HC, and welcome to the forum (although I hope you don't wind up an actual Crohnie...but if you do, we'll do our best to be a good support to you).

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi horizonchild and :welcome:

I hope you find some answers soon to your problems. As Kelly said, we don't wish you to have Crohns but if it does turn out that you do have IBD then this is a great place for support, experience and info and hey there's nothing stopping you hanging around here while ever you have gastro issues! If you browse through the forums you will find that you far from the only one that is overweight and has IBD. All the best with your CT Scan and GI appointment.....................

:goodluck::goodluck::goodluck:

Take care, :)
Dusty

Hi Horizonchild...I am overweight and I have Crohn's - I asked my gastro doc about it last week and she said that a lot of people with the disease in the small bowel lose weight whereas if it only affects your large bowel (as is the case with me) there isn't usually any weight loss...

I hope you get some answers soon! Welcome to the forum - there is amazing support on here for us all when we need it...

Hi horizonchild, welcome to the forum and I hope you get the help you need and answers you are looking for when you visit your consultant.

Having the symptoms of crohns, without a definitive diagnosis can be very scary, as most people don't know what's going on.

Before I was diagnosed, I had never even heard of Crohn's and even after my diagnosis, I was still in denial a bit about my disease and was embarrassed to talk about it.

Best of luck.

Liam

Hey all, thanks for the well wishes. I went to the ER tonight for a CT scan and from the beginning the doctor didn't think there was anything wrong with me. Apparently it's normal to have severe diarrhea for weeks on end, several times a day. Normal for severe pain in my lower abdomen that stretches to my lower back. Not to mention heartburn all the time.

He was very dismissive and spoke down to me, and I told the nurse he was a jerk and needed to get a life. The nurse said I wasn't the only one that felt like that.

The CT scan was clear, so I am hoping for some better help from the GE visit next week. I don't feel right. And I don't think it's just a GI bug like he said. The symptoms have gone on for years, but less severe. I'm so frustrated, I can't help but tear up.

Yes, doctors can be very dismissive! Especially as some of us with Crohn's 'don't look sick'. Don't let it get you down!

Sorry to hear you are no closer to finding answers but we will keep you company while you wait for the GE.

Astra

Hi Horizon

God this makes me so angry!
What a prick!
Is it normal to have diarrhea? Er, I don't thinks so!
hang on in there, hopefully the gastro will have better answers, in the meantime, to slow down the D and pain, give your bowels a rest, eat a low residue diet. You can find this in the diet section on here, always works for me!
When you see gastro, write everything down, your symptoms, food, times etc, how many BMs, document everything, questions and answers, get yourself genned up about Crohns, just in case you get a dx of IBS!! Be insistent and assertive. Good Luck!
Oh, and it's a fallacy that all Crohnies are thin, not so I'm afraid.
glad you found us, lots of friends here for you
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Hi horizonchild

I've been going through a similar story to you since January. I've so far had a colonoscopy, ct scan and an endoscopy and am having a small bowel meal tomorrow. My tests have all come back clear so far so I'm hoping this one will be the one that "finds" it!
My GI has been both dismissive and supportive. I've been told it could be IBS and depression but now he is convinced it is Crohn's even though the tests haven't shown it yet.
It has really helped being on this forum and getting as much advice and knowledge as possible. I agree with Joan about recording everything before you go. I make a list of points that I want to raise and any questions I want to ask.
I hope that you get some answers soon and are feeling better
Sam

Hi Hc. welcome to the forum, this is a great place it has helped me and my baby so much,
i hope you get the answers you are looking for x