• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Does anyone get thrown off by colonoscopy?

does anyone get thrown off by colonoscopy?

Well i had my first colonoscopy on Tuesday and i have not gone back to my normal self yet. Before the colonoscopy i usually had anywhere from 4-15 bouts of diarrhea per day and now i am almost constipated from the colonoscopy. Has this ever happened to anyone else?? I have had one small bm since tues that hasn't happened to me in years and i don't know whats going on but i feel like i have to go but nothing happens but maybe some gas so any input would help so much!!

I would call your doctor if this is happening, especially if there is any pain. I myself have not experienced that but if you have not gone snce tuesday i would make the doctor aware of it

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Maybe it's from the meds they gave you during your colonoscopy? I only get constipated when I'm on prednisone, so perhaps they gave you something like that in your IV? Personally, I didn't notice a change in bowel habits after my c-scope, but I did have a TON of pain the next day and my GI never really figured out why. He just said, "If one of your normal symptoms is pain, then it wouldn't be unusual to have more pain after a procedure like this." That to me sounds like he was just guessing. At any rate, it took me a few days for the extra pain to completely go away. I would call your GI and let him/her know what's going on, and ask what meds you received during your scope. I am guessing your GI won't worry too much about it - when I had called my GI about the pain I was in, he said to call him back immediately if I had any new symptoms, like fever or vomiting, or if the pain got worse. Good luck, I hope you feel better soon.

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
The only issues I've had is that I'm super gassy for days. It could be related to any sedation that they may have given you. I've never been given the full dose because I never have anyone to pick me up afterwards, so I've never experienced the full effects of it.

hmmm thats weird i thought other people would have this issue now i am starting to wonder whats wrong. I have had diarrhea for years everyday and now nothing its really weird idk what to say. And it started all when i had my colonoscopy so weird hmmm i am just sitting here thinking about it too.

I didn't poo for a while after mine. Can't remember how long. But I think it's because you are so cleaned out, and your insides are so empty, it takes longer for food to work through, and some of it will get deposited on the sides of your intestines along the way, so there won't be much that works its way through for a while. Also you are likely to be dehydrated from the prep so your body will want to conserve water, making stools harder. So I wouldn't worry too much, but you know your body, and you know if it's time to get help. Did you get a helpline number to call if you had problems? If so you could see what they say.

I had this too after my last one. I'm in remission, but for about two weeks after I was feeling really bloated and constipated.
I'd definately speak to your doctor if it goes on for more than a week.

i called the drs office because its friday and i didn't want to go all weekend wondering and they kinda rushed me off the phone and didn't seem too concerned about it and said they cleaned me out so much that it should be ok but they would email the dr and if the dr seemed concerned she would call me back. She hasn't called me back so i guess the dr wasn't too concerned. Oh i lied as i was typing this she called and she said she wouldn't be too concerned unless it goes towards a week then she would get some milk of magnesia. So there it is drs orders lol.

I had a lot of wind and felt a bit bloated for a few days after, but it should pass after a a couple of days.

Calmygal, bear in mind that you've been cleared out before the colonoscopy so there might not be a lot to come out, hence the sensation of bein constipated.

You might want to ask the doctors for some peppermint water, that helped me to pass wind and get the bowels moving again after my op.

All the best.

Liam

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I too had a scope right after you, and the two days it took , it shot out like a canon, just takes a while for the bowels to get rolling.

i am still not completely right idk why but i am having diarrhea on and off but not constant like i did before the colonoscopy its weird but i am having a lot more pain than i did before it and i am a lot more uncomfortable now wish i never had it at all...would rather have it the way it was b4 the colonoscopy.

i guess i am not really drinking much for water but i never really did and i am not eating anything different than i did before so i am not sure whats wrong i know my stomach is a mess.

If you can't eat/tolerate fiber or fiber powders I would drink a lot more water. You can get constipated from being dehydrated.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Yes, drink your water! It is crucial to flush out toxins and keep hydrated. So many benefits to drinking water. Being constipated is a dangerous game. :hang: