• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to Forum

Hello,
I am 31 years old, was diagnosed with Crohn's this past March. I am still struggling with whether or not I truly have it... Had no symptoms whatsoever until fall of 2009- then began having diarrhea. I have a stressful job, so attributed it to that. Needless to say, diarrhea was off and on (more on than off) for about 6 months until I ended up getting really sick and dehydrated and was admitted to the hospital for a work-up. At first they thought I had an infection (I had been in Mexico for a vacation), but when it didn't clear up with antibiotics, they scoped me and said I have Crohn's. I was put on prednisone (awful) and tapered off in about three months. Now just taking Asacol (supposed to take 3 times a day but always forget). Haven't really had any more symptoms except a rash which is on my arms. Not sure if it's even related, but I had it in the winter, before I was diagnosed. It recently came back, so I'm kind of worried. It is like a classic looking dermatitis- itchy, red, etc. Can't attribute it to anything else. Has anyone else heard of rashes associated with Crohn's?
Anyways,
I'm really glad to have found this website. Thanks for listening. :)

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Sheezy and :welcome:

I'm glad you found your way here as well. This is a safe and friendly place with loads of experience and knowledge. Unfortunately there are are many EIM (extra-intestinal manifestations) associated with Crohns such as:
- arthritis
- delayed growth in children
- eye diseases
- gallstones
- skin conditions
- mouth ulcers

Most of these complications will worsen when the Crohn's disease is flaring and improve when it is in remission. I would say most of the members on here suffer with one or more of these at some time or other. Hope I didn't scare you off! :eek:

I hope you stick around as you will be a very welcome addition. Welcome aboard and good luck!

All the best, :)
Dusty

Looks like we've both just joined, but I thought I'd put what I have into this and hope it's of use.

From the people I've known with Crohn's, rash is pretty common. I hope others can interject their experiences, though.

I say, if the meds have worked and they've given you a firm diagnosis, take care of it accordingly; it sounds too intense to be IBS or stress related. When my friend got diagnosed a couple weeks ago, I was reminded that his symptoms came on in a matter of days with no prior problems. I'm sure stress he's been under triggered it, as well.

On the up and up, it's awesome is you have none of the terrible bleeding. Take good care of yourself. :)

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Hi Sheezy and welcome!! Rashes are a very common concern on here. If you do a search up top on rashes, skin eruptions etc., you will find many common threads. Good luck!! I hope you stick around:).

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi Sheezy :bigwave: Yes, rashes of all kinds are related, and most times they give you cortizone cream and it goes away, but if it persists then see a dermatologist. I get them mostly in the spring. Sorry you are dealing with Crohns and since you are on mild medications try not to forget them (I was guilty of that too) and it is better to be on the proper dose than to let it get away on you and then the big guns have to come out and since there is no cure, say on the mildest and the longest you can. Diet does help a low residue diet does wonders. Many foods to avoid to avoid pain. Glad you found us, we know how you feel but this disease can be controlled to live a normal life.

:hang:

Hello,
I am 31 years old, was diagnosed with Crohn's this past March. I am still struggling with whether or not I truly have it... Had no symptoms whatsoever until fall of 2009- then began having diarrhea. I have a stressful job, so attributed it to that. Needless to say, diarrhea was off and on (more on than off) for about 6 months until I ended up getting really sick and dehydrated and was admitted to the hospital for a work-up. At first they thought I had an infection (I had been in Mexico for a vacation), but when it didn't clear up with antibiotics, they scoped me and said I have Crohn's. I was put on prednisone (awful) and tapered off in about three months. Now just taking Asacol (supposed to take 3 times a day but always forget). Haven't really had any more symptoms except a rash which is on my arms. Not sure if it's even related, but I had it in the winter, before I was diagnosed. It recently came back, so I'm kind of worried. It is like a classic looking dermatitis- itchy, red, etc. Can't attribute it to anything else. Has anyone else heard of rashes associated with Crohn's?
Anyways,
I'm really glad to have found this website. Thanks for listening. :)
@ Sheezy and Welcome to our forum. You will find here the nicest and most helpful people.
My symptoms started exactly like yours. I was on a trip to Africa and returned with a severe D which lasted few months. I had a busy and stressful line of work (which I loved) and the dr attributed my D to my stress. When the D did not stop amid all kinds of antibiotics, they scoped me and told me I had colitis and put me on Steroids (horrible, bad ,Awful...) and I was put on Asacol which caused a rash that it lasted few months and I was on bath of Aveno Oatmeal and cortisone creams.
It took me some time to find a wonderful GI that treated me for 15 years. My suggestion that you find a good gi you can trust and who has the right experience.
good luck

Astra

Hi Sheezy
and welcome

Yes skin irritations, rashes etc are a Crohnie thang!
As you get more familiar with this condition, everything relates to it!
glad you found us, lots of friends here for you
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Thanks, everybody!! I really appreciate all of the support. I think I have been in a little bit of denial, so I haven't been taking care of myself as well as I could. I will try and change that now. This is really a great resource; very glad to be here.