Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Eat your Broccoli, seriously

09-06-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
D Bergy

Eat your Broccoli, seriously

I posted this in anther thread, but thought it was important enough to give it own thread.

I love this kind of potential treatment. It costs you nothing since you have to eat anyway.

It has no possible side effects other than a food allergy.

It is cheap and has an explainable mechanism.

It involves eating Broccoli as a possible Crohn's treatment. What could be easier than this? What have you got to lose by trying it out?

It is good for you, if you do not believe me, ask your mother. The worst that can happen is that it does not work. Pretty much true of any treatment.

Luckily, I like Broccoli. One or the few vegetables I do like. You can bet, we will be buying more of it now. This is a no brainer.

http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2010/...5311283227159/

Dan
09-06-2010, 08:46 PM   #2
Dexky
To save time...Ask Dusty!

My Support Groups:
Thanks Dan!! I think this is the third article that's been posted about this. Stir fried broccoli is one of EJ's favorites.

EJ dx w/ Crohn's 12/09
PSC 3/10

No more 6mp
Currently in the Humira Club
09-06-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

I love broccoli but I have not seen an improvement and sometimes gives me gas. I steam them very lightly or I won't digest them well. But will go back to eating them more, even if they dont help Crohns wise I still love them
09-06-2010, 08:58 PM   #4
D Bergy

Is gas a bad thing?

Dan
09-06-2010, 09:02 PM   #5
D Bergy

If digestion is a problem, maybe it would be better in a soup, or grind it up in a food processor. I can see where the fibrous nature of it could be a problem.

Dan
09-06-2010, 09:04 PM   #6
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

Is gas a bad thing?

Dan
Yes for me it is, always get bloated and painful gas. Hate that. Sometimes it does and sometimes it don't. If I remember to take a digestive enzyme it helps. But my memory stinks.
09-06-2010, 09:28 PM   #7
D Bergy

One interesting thing that happened when I started taking my wife's digestive enzymes is my blood protein level was in the middle of the normal range for once. First time ever.

Not sure if that helps Crohn's, but it makes me feel better about the test anyway.

Dan
09-06-2010, 09:38 PM   #8
D Bergy

Note:

Polysorbate 80 substantially encouraged the bacterial invasion process, the study says.

Polysorbate 80 is used in vitamins, gelatin, and some other food products. It is also used in Flu vaccines

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-polysorbate-80.htm

In light of this new information, we may want to consider avoiding polysorbate 80 when possible, or at least note any negative effects from its use.

Dan
09-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #9
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
Interesting article! I love broccoli and plantains. Yum!
January 2014 - adopted a mostly Paleo diet
May 2015 - still in remission!

Currently Taking
Humira - 40mg/week
Imuran - 125 mg/day
Calcium magnesium citrate
Fermented cod liver oil/butter blend
Culturelle probiotics
Vitamin D
Vitamin C
Biotin
Allegra
09-06-2010, 10:03 PM   #10
Entchen
Chief Dandelion Picker

Mmmm. I had locally farmed broccoli in soup today. Love love love, and glad it's potentially helpful for Crohn's, too!
Turned my Crohn's life around: ginger for nausea.
Claim to fame: "loopy and floppy" colon
09-06-2010, 10:17 PM   #11
D Bergy

I don't even know what a plantain is, but I guess I should find out.

Dan
09-06-2010, 11:33 PM   #12
GutlessWonder86
Forum Monitor

for those who say broccoli causes them gas, have you tried 2 Beano tablets before eating it and then 2 with your broccoli?? It's an all natural enzyme that helps eliminate gas with certain foods that cause bloating in your gut. I've been using it for a while now but I did check it out with my GI and primary care MD before using it and they gave me their blessing. Also, if you don't like the stalks as it's hard to chew and digest, just eat the florets or as my 1 niece calls them "tree tops".

Steaming them until they are to the point of mush is good if you are afraid of a blockage, there is also soup, salad, raw, baked, the list goes on....you just have to get creative........good luck.
09-07-2010, 12:35 AM   #13
tiloah

My Support Groups:
I love broccoli. It is my favorite vegetable. I haven't been able to eat it without extreme pain since my symptoms showed up. Even if I steam/boil it to death.
09-07-2010, 01:09 AM   #14
Entchen
Chief Dandelion Picker

Dan, plantains are like big bananas with a more savoury flavour (at least in Canada where they're probably a month old and have lost most of their taste, lol).
09-07-2010, 09:52 AM   #15
My Butt Hurts
Squeals-a-lot!

An Italian restaurant near me serves broccoli parmesan.
It's breaded and fried broccoli topped with sauce and mozzarella cheese.
Not the healthiest thing on the menu, but oh so good.
09-07-2010, 10:05 AM   #16
My Butt Hurts
Squeals-a-lot!

Oh, and also - my favorite way to make broccoli...
I call it Baked Broccoli!
Wah and cut broccoli into bite sized pieces. Put it in a bowl and lightly coat with olive oil. Sprinkle with seasoned breadcrumbs and a little parmesan cheese, stir, and spread it on a metal baking tray. Bake at 400° until it is brown and crispy, about 30 minutes depending on how packed your tray is.

If you want to skip the breadcrumbs, just use olive oil and sea salt. Once the veggies start to caramelize they are soooo yummy! You can do this with just about any vegetable too, I've done it with yellow squash, eggplant, zucchini, red peppers, asparagus, baby artichokes, cut brussels sprouts.
I'm hungry.
09-07-2010, 11:57 AM   #17
saidinstouch

Broccoli with a hollandaise sauce is quite delicious, especially if eaten with steamed veggies. My mom used to make carrots, potatoes, onions, parsnips, broccoli, cauliflower steamed veggies with hollandaise for dinner and looking back at it, I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. Simple to prepare and the steaming probably softens the veggies up for most people enough to enjoy.
09-07-2010, 01:24 PM   #18
Crohns08

If digestion is a problem, maybe it would be better in a soup, or grind it up in a food processor. I can see where the fibrous nature of it could be a problem.

Dan
Good idea Dan! For some reason I didn't even think to do that, I'll have to try it since broccoli normally just bloats me
Yoga
Vitamin D
Gabapentin
SCD Multivitamin
Tums
Percocet
60 mg pred tapering weekly
Protonix
Levofloxin
Surgeries:
09/2011 - Draining an Abcess the size of a lemon!
10/2011 - Same abcess, different approach this time, open incision!

Add Me on Facebook!
09-07-2010, 03:05 PM   #19
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
Have you ever had Cuban food, Dan? Plantains often come on the plate as an extra side. They can be sweetened and soft or sometimes they are sliced thin and fried like chips. I like them sweet and soft! The only difficult thing about plantains is they are kind of tricky to cook. They can be super starchy and hard when they are not fully ripened, which could potentially cause some problems for people if they are too green. They could be harder to digest. Plaintains are best when their outer skin looks basically black and bad - almost like they are rotten, but no bad smell or mold! Those are the best for sauteeing and will be super sweet, soft, and delicious to eat!
09-07-2010, 03:09 PM   #20
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
Oh, and I will add that many recipes use sweeteners to cook plantains, but they blacker the peel is, the sweeter they will be. So, when you cook them in the pan they should caramelize mostly by themselves and maybe a tad bit of oil. When letting plantains ripen you must be patient. It can take several weeks to ripen fully. I found a website a while back explaining how to find the best plantain and when to know it's ready to be cooked. I'll have to see if I can find it again and post it

Here's a good website with pictures!
http://www.raw-food-health.net/RipenPlantains.html

Last edited by dreamintwilight; 09-07-2010 at 03:15 PM.
09-07-2010, 03:11 PM   #21
ChefShazzy

I do love broccoli. Can't really eat it anymore, though, even in soup form. But, mmmmm, so delicious. Wish I could have some right now!
Meds: Double-dose of Remicade, every 6 weeks
*I'm going to start saying I'm in REMISSION now! Three years since my last hospitalization!*
09-07-2010, 11:02 PM   #22
Entchen
Chief Dandelion Picker

Now I need to find some BLACK plantains and cook them myself, Marissa! Want to experience this sweetness that you say is possible.
09-09-2010, 02:01 PM   #23
Gue33

I spotted this article today. Thought it might interest, it is the first time I have heard about plantains and the possible benifits.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0825191700.htm
09-11-2010, 08:49 AM   #24
ameslouise

Damn, mom WAS right about broccoli! Good thing I love it!

FYI- be careful not too eat to much if you are on a blood thinner like Coumadin and must restrict your Vitamin K.

-Amy
09-11-2010, 09:41 AM   #25
jcd302

Broccoli seems to bother me as much as lettuce, but I am still trying to figure out which foods bother me. Almost everything makes my guts rumble.
09-11-2010, 12:30 PM   #26
InkyStinky

My Support Groups:
FYI- be careful not too eat to much if you are on a blood thinner like Coumadin and must restrict your Vitamin K.
Amy's spot on - I'm on warfarin (generic coumadin) and can't eat broccoli because it's got a ton of Vit. K.

Ethel: “So, is everything okey-dokey?” Lucy: “No, it’s inky-stinky” ~ I Love Lucy

-Are you looking for a new treatment option for your Crohn's disease? If so, I suggest you look into the ongoing clinical trial by Qu Biologics for their SSI treatment. Click here for more information or to help spread the word.
09-11-2010, 01:52 PM   #27
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

Darn!! I went shopping yesterday and forgot the broccoli well I will try and remember tomorrow !
09-13-2010, 06:22 AM   #28
seaofdreams

My Support Groups:
I just made steamed broccoli with a bit of grated cheese over the top. I'm hoping the steaming will help to make them more digestable. At the moment I'm paranoid of eating just about everything in fear that it's going to make me sick ):

"Never feel guilty for being sick and try to stop comparing yourself and your life to others. You're doing the best you can under the circumstances you have and you're doing great."

Diagnosed with Crohn's in August 2009
Medication: 20mg Methotrexate injection weekly
Supplements: Folic Acid|Vitamin D|B12|Iron Complex|Magnesium Complex|Calcium|
09-13-2010, 07:12 AM   #29
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

Most poeple think the broccoli is causing the pain, but putting cheese or butter will aggrivate your gut. I use a vegan or olive oil margarine, sparingly. Not worth the pain but steaming it lightly is the best way.
09-13-2010, 03:45 PM   #30
seaofdreams

My Support Groups:
Thanks for the hint Pen, I'm still on the fence about dairy. Sometimes I react and sometimes I'm fine, such is the way of the Crohnie lol. I think I might just remove it from my diet altogether. Bye bye cheese and ice cream ):

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Eat your Broccoli, seriously