• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My story

Hi everyone,

My name is Karen, a 30yr kiwi. I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease just over 4 years ago- mainly all in the terminal ileum. After 3 years of intermittent treatment with steroids and continuous Asacol this year has been a bit of a nightmare.

I had a flare in January and was shown to have a stricture in MRI- decided to have a resection due to such limited disease. Had a brief stint on 6MP prior to surgery.

Since the surgery i have had 2 hospital admissions requiring high dose IV hydrocort and also NG feeding for 10days- couldn't handle it so that came out last week... have now started eating again but my pain has returned (not a typical Crohns girl- don't get diarrhoea which is a blessing). Back on 6MP and Pred and Asacol now- waiting for a colonoscopy and another MRI- they are wondering about fistulae and abscesses- and want to check before staring me on Remicaide.

Plus to complicate things I found out I was pregnant on one of my admissions so was having to watch medications...unfortunately the little one wasn't well so I have had to deal with a missed miscarriage and a D & C at the same time....

I have an excellent GI who really looks after me which is great :) and an extrememly supportive family, husband and wonderful 2 yr old....

But I have to say that right now it is all a bit much and on top of it I have major exams in December to continue my career!

So that is my story... nice to meet you all!

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Wow, Kaz sorry to hear you're having such a rough time!! I'm sorry about your miscarriage. I hope they can get you figured out soon so you can prepare for your exams without having to deal with all of this!! Welcome and good luck!!

Are you a medical doctor Kaz? I saw your other post...

Last edited:

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi Kaz :bigwave: welcome to our family friendly forum. I see you have been through a rough time and I know about miscarriages, had one myself and I see that it was a blessing for me, because it was bringing on my Crohns even though I was even diagnosed at the time. It still doesnt make it easier I know. I am sorry your resection didnt work but most likely a leakage or fistula. As most of us know surgery doesnt always do the trick but hopefully they can get you the treatment that heals you soon. There are other kiwis here too.

Stress is a culprit for an aggrivated gut so hopefully your exams will be over and you can take it easy with your wonderful family, you are blessed that way.

Ask any questions, vent or just need support we are always here for you, and I must say a wonderful bunch of people. Welcome aboard!:D

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Karen and :welcome:

I'm glad you found your way here but so sorry to hear about your miscarriage and all that you are going through. It's good to know you have a GI you can trust and who looks after you well. It's such a shame that your resection wasn't successful but I hope the MRI and colonoscopy give you the answers you need to get on top of things.

I wish both you and your family all the very best and I hope more than anything you are back on your feet for your exams!

Welcome aboard!

Take care, :)
Dusty

Update

So I had my colonoscopy today- oh the joy of bowel prep!! They had a look all the way up to the anastamosis and all they found was a couple of small ulcers- nothing that could explain the pain.

So now I am waiting for the MRI- arranged for next monday. Have a feeling that there must be some small bowel involvement further up because my CRP is on the rise again (and I am on 40mg of Prednisone) and the pain continues, so I am back on the waiting train to see what is actually going on...

Hopefully they find something!!

Karen

hi fellow kiwi, dont you just love that prep, i had a colonoscopy and gastro on the same day a couple of weeks ago and couldnt get all the prep down, also had an MRI yesterday, waited 9 months for it. are you on any pain meds? i think we are lucky here that our meds are subsidised, i feel for those who have to pay thousands for remicade etc. hope things improve for you.

hi kazo and welcome to our forum.
what kind of diet are you on? is the pain constant? are you taking pain meds?
I hope the mri reveal the source.

Astra

Hi Karen
and welcome

hope you get some results from MRI, good luck and welcome aboard!
lotsa luv
Joan xxx