• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi, new to this...

Hi, you can call me Trip, or Tripper... it's not my real name, but it's the name I choose to go by.
I'm 38 years old, and have been going through this Chron's stuff for about fifteen years... no one even knew what it was when I was diagnosed. Now, it seems that it's so common, and I wonder why? Where did if come from? How did I end up with it? Why did it seem to spread so fast, when it's not even a contagious disease? Is there something in the water?
Anyway, in the beginning, after I was finally diagnosed, it was pretty easy to deal with. I would have my flare ups, and get through them, as long as I stuck to the right diet, and stayed on my medication (mostly prednizone and another who's name I cannot recall right now) I'd only have one or two bad flares a year. But, over the years it's gotten so much worse. I can't seem to find the right doctor, one who really seems to care, and listen to me. I've completely lost my appetite, and have lost so much weight. I have to force myself to eat. I'm five foot six and a half inches tall, and I have to fight to keep my weight over a hundred pounds. I have constant stomach pain, and nausea. I don't know what to do anymore... and feel that all hope is gone. I've just abandoned my most recent G.I. doctors... They were cold, and very expensive. I have thousands of dollars in doctor bills waiting to be paid, and am not sure how I'm going to pay them? I've been off of work for months.
The constant diarhea is also an ongoing problem. Everything I eat goes right through me. I've tried anti diarhea medications, and they work for a while, but they all seem to quit working after some time.
I'm planning on trying to go back to work next week... I don't know how that's going to go, but I feel that I have to do something before I lose my husband through all of this as well... I've already lost most of my friends (people don't want to hang out with people who can't do anything).
Sorry for whining... thanks for listening, and if anyone has any advice, I'd be more than happy to hear it.

Astra

Hi Trip
and welcome

Firstly, try and relax You've found this forum now and everyone will come along to advise you soon. You're no longer alone with this.
I'm not familiar with US health care, I just know how it works here. I would go back to GP and ask for another referral to gastro.
I think it's time to sit down and start planning. Firstly, ask for help with finance. Like I said, I don't know what assistance you have there, we have Citizens Advice Bureau.
Secondly, talk to your husband, before the abyss gets bigger, communication is the key.
And lastly, read our sections on diet and treatment, lots of people here to help you with this. There are sections on the low residue diet, liquid diets and so on, just to give your bowels a rest and give you some relief.
Also it would be a great idea to inform your employers about what's going on, they might be able to help with reduced hours or some reasonable adjustments.
hope you find some relief soon, not fair to be in this much pain all the time.
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Hi Trip, welcome!! What meds are you on for the crohns now? Do you have any insurance through your job? I hope you can find a GI that you trust. I don't see how you can improve without one!!! Best of luck, hope you stick around!!

Welcome. I, too, have dealt with this about 15 years and it gets old, huh? I think you have come to the right place to whine a little and get the sympathy you DO deserve. People who have not had to deal with a chronic illness have a very hard time understanding what you are dealing with. There are some discussions in the Food and Diet forum dealing with the big D (diarrhea) that may offer some new ideas for you. Hope you find some support here and good luck! Doris

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Trip and :welcome:

I'm glad you found your way here. As Dex asked, what meds are you on now? and where is your Crohns located?

I don't know where you live but someone from the US may be able to recommend a GI to you in your area. Have a browse through the forums and post any questions you may have. I hope you stick around as this is a great place with heaps of support and info.

Welcome aboard!

Dusty. :)